Brexit has created chaos in Britain – nobody voted for this

webfact

1 minute ago, stevenl said:

Look at the historic development of the pound compared to DM/Gulden and Euro. Interesting reading, that shows that the brexiteers will end up very disappointed.

Yes, Bloomberg growth forecasts raised 10 times in the past 12 months, the Euros golden era looks to be around the corner, couple that with Germany's  shrewd move to take a million middle class refugees and it is clear to all with a brain that they will be seeing the biggest gains.

3 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

you have to wonder how people connect "muslims" in UK and Brexit. I guess it's symptomatic of a lack of critical thinking abilities?

They are connected, we have already been in talks with some of our old colonies regarding how to make up for the anticipated labour shortfall post Brexit, we will probably see a lot more Muslim immigrants.

9 minutes ago, nauseus said:

I understand about the sustainability side. The EU were relatively slow to act on this. The CFP allowed the continental fleets to hurt British fishing. The quotas and financial contributions are biased. The French benefit most from the CAP and the Spaniards get the biggest slice of the CFP cake and the Spaniards are well known for cheating the system anyway, as well as using very wasteful fishing methods wherever they go.  

It is also important to bear in mind the London fisheries convention, which allowed fishing within 12 miles of all members coasts, as despite it being superseded by the EU rules for member states, it will still stand according to statutory law if we leave without a fisheries deal, and both those countries are in that convention.

1 hour ago, Kieran00001 said:

It's great because it has saved their industry, it has taken it from being broken, in steady decline, to be the most profitable it has ever been and the most profitable in the EU, without the epdecline in catch they would have fished some species into extinction and lost far more jobs.

Like a lot of other things, it's as if the sustainable route is all down to the EU, as if this could not be achieved anyway.

18 hours ago, nontabury said:

The so called elite and politicians of that time. The main one being the British prime minister Edward Peadophile Heath.

You can see him here, smirking in this very informative video.

And Yes Jenny, I was one of those conned in 1975, much to my shame, allthough in my defence, this was a time before Google, with it’s  ability to provide us with much information.

As the saying goes “ Fool me once, shame on you, Fool me twice, shame on me”.

I wasn't old enough to vote at the time (and wasn't at all interested in politics), but even so was pretty sure the result would be higher prices in the shops!

Not sure whether my prescience can be blamed on reading my dad's DT every morning when he drove me to school, or the increase in price of sweets/ice 'triangles' after decimalisation.  I suspect the latter :laugh:!

Yes, Bloomberg growth forecasts raised 10 times in the past 12 months, the Euros golden era looks to be around the corner, couple that with Germany's  shrewd move to take a million middle class refugees and it is clear to all with a brain that they will be seeing the biggest gains.

I think we've already seen enough German "shrewd moves". This policy can only cause European ruination in the long-term. People only seem to worry about their precious GDP numbers.

The Euro may well have a short term rise but it will not last long before European debt issues resurface with a vengeance.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, nauseus said:

I think we've already seen enough German "shrewd moves". This policy can only cause European ruination in the long-term. People only seem to worry about their precious GDP numbers.

The Euro may well have a short term rise but it will not last long before European debt issues resurface with a vengeance.

Pound has seen a decline compared to Euro and underlying currencies since WW2.

Edited by stevenl
  • Like 1

It is also important to bear in mind the London fisheries convention, which allowed fishing within 12 miles of all members coasts, as despite it being superseded by the EU rules for member states, it will still stand according to statutory law if we leave without a fisheries deal, and both those countries are in that convention.

Already in mind. As you say superseded by EU rules, as is most everything else. It may be that the UK will withdraw from the London Fisheries Convention too. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Like a lot of other things, it's as if the sustainable route is all down to the EU, as if this could not be achieved anyway.

Well it wasn't being achieved, the EU had to make them reduce their catch, it has been down to them.

1 minute ago, nauseus said:

Already in mind. As you say superseded by EU rules, as is most everything else. It may be that the UK will withdraw from the London Fisheries Convention too. 

If we were to end all our fishing agreements and only fish our waters then we would need to redesign our fishing fleet, thousands would lose their jobs in the interim period, unless we also changed our diet then their catch would be primarily for export and we would be left importing most of the fish we eat. Personally I would prefer that our fishermen caught our fish and we did not need to develop a greater dependence on Europe post Brexit, and that's because I think it is unrealistic as we would likely see taxes imposed and so lose our market edge, it would make more sense to retain our rights to fish in other countries waters, which means giving up some of ours.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

Well it wasn't being achieved, the EU had to make them reduce their catch, it has been down to them.

So you are saying that if the UK had not been an EU member it could/would not have imposed sustainability measures?

9 minutes ago, nontabury said:

Middle class refugees, I think not. I wonder if the ladies of Cologne agree with you.

F9392BF6-4458-40F9-B0E6-1BF83387D1EC.jpeg

A quarter of them were children, a quarter of school leaving age but pre university, and of the 50% who were adults, half of them had degrees, there were thouasands of doctors, thousands of dentists, engineers, all sorts of professionals, as well as a few rapists unfortunately, but they were very much predominantly middle class people who came, they were those who could afford it.  And they, or their children, will fill a much needed labour shortage in Germany, like the Turkish refugees they took before who filled a low level labour shortage and resulted in a booming economy, the Syrians will fill a predicted coming gap in the professional workforce and the economy will prosper as a result.

IMG_4562.PNG.d173b8482e783dad2eefd593c5f66118.PNG

20 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

A quarter of them were children, a quarter of school leaving age but pre university, and of the 50% who were adults, half of them had degrees, there were thouasands of doctors, thousands of dentists, engineers, all sorts of professionals, as well as a few rapists unfortunately, but they were very much predominantly middle class people who came, they were those who could afford it.  And they, or their children, will fill a much needed labour shortage in Germany, like the Turkish refugees they took before who filled a low level labour shortage and resulted in a booming economy, the Syrians will fill a predicted coming gap in the professional workforce and the economy will prosper as a result.

IMG_4562.PNG.d173b8482e783dad2eefd593c5f66118.PNG

The Syrians. What about the rest?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

One (or perhaps both) of us is suffering from media bias when it comes to Merkel's  'refugees'....

• Like 1

I recently got a form from the UK ?? embassy to renounce my citizenship.

I'm tempted to go ahead with it, if I get Thai citizenship.

I despise the UK government, crown, and what they've done to Scotland, which could have been as rich as Norway, if it hadn't Benn for the thieving English.

1 minute ago, Neeranam said:

I despise the UK government, crown, and what they've done to Scotland, which could have been as rich as Norway, if it hadn't Benn for the thieving English.

Why would Scotland be as rich as Norway in the long term...?

5 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Just now, Neeranam said:

Really?  I'm feeling left out :laugh:.

What on earth did you do for the brit. authorities to suggest renouncing citizenship?

Presumably you were never a 'genuine' brit in the first place?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, transam said:

Why would Scotland be as rich as Norway in the long term...?

I'll give you a clue - it's black and comes out the ground. Actually we'd be richer as we have whiskey and a bigger tourism industry.

4 hours ago, sandyf said:

When I went to Germany in 1972 it was 11.40 marks to the pound, when I left two and a half years later it had dropped to just under 6 marks to the pound. During that time a beer remained around 1 mark but the price nearly doubled for us, I suppose we have all been conned by the German government.

Lol. That's also called inflation. The former beer for one Mark was then 0.75 Euros or 75 cents, and people thought it was cheap. In the end, it took a long time for all involved to understand that most items were way more expensive than before. 

Let's blame Merkel for all, she must have started Brexit as well.