Pattaya police chief: "Don't attack tourists - it will damage the image of tourism in Pattaya"

webfact

Pattaya police chief: "Don't attack tourists - it will damage the image of tourism in Pattaya"

3pm.jpg

Picture: TNews

TNews quoted Pattaya station chief Apichai Krobpetch as imploring Thais in Pattaya not to take the law into their own hands and attack tourists in the resort.

It will spoil the image of Pattaya, he said.

They may be drunk and in the wrong but Thais should call the cops to sort out disagreements, noted the chief.

Police Colonel Apichai was speaking in reference to a fight between Thai fake watch sellers and tourists.

fw.jpg

He said that the case fell into two parts - the selling of fake gear and the assaults.

He said his men were continually on the case of fake goods sellers and this time would be no different.

As far as the assault goes he admitted that it was started by the Thais who would be fined 5,000 baht each. The tourists - and he mentioned seven people - were fined 1,000 baht each for their part in the melee.

None of those involved complained about that.

TNews showed a video of the chief speaking that was cut short. But in the body of their story about the matter they quoted him as saying to his compatriots:

"Tourists come to visit Thailand. They may be drunk at times and you may not understand them. Call the cops if there is a problem or laws are broken.

"Don't attack tourists as this will damage the image of tourism in Pattaya". 

Source: TNews

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-02-28
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, inThailand said:

Pattaya police chief: "Don't attack tourists - it will damage the image of tourism in Pattaya

Meaning....if you attack them don't get caught on video and dispose of the body properly. We can't keep saying suicide or self inflicted for every falang incident.

nah... tourism is a good income, and repeated attacks on tourists will have an effect,

the police chief here is a patriot.

The Police chief framed his comments in a way that will have the most impact on Thai's. Creating a bad image means they have caused "a loss of face for the whole city."  Something the thai's will understand. 

I had a felling we would hear a quick follow up and no one was really hurt so no jail time. Luckily it happened next to the police station or it might have been a different outcome for the soldiers.

• Like 1

Well I think this is a nice result all around. I hope the watch sellers lose their stock as well as have to pay that 5000 Baht fine, and for once the farangs are fined less than the Thais. At 1000 baht, it'd almost be worth it to clock one of those sellers myself, if I could be sure I'd not get knifed or shot or beat up by a dozen outraged bystanders.

As it is, though, I'll have to stick with my usual response "sorry, can't afford, I only buy fake watches".  :D

• Like 1

They can easily arrest at least 12 fake watch sellers per hour.

Visiting a friend on holiday in Pattaya last January. We were on 2nd road having a few beers. In less than 1 hour we counted 12 fake watch sellers at our table. 

Set up is easy. Have one or two farangs going to a bar and have a plain cloth officer paying attention. 
Arrests can easily be made. But probably the Thai police force in Pattaya don't have any brains to come up with a plan like this... Or they are in it too..

If they really wanted to do something they should make an example of a few miscreants and come down on them like a ton of bricks. Word would get around not to mess with tourists.

This policy works very well in places like Vietnam, where physical harm to tourists is rare (although bag and mobile snatching and such is fairly common down south). The penalty for assaulting a tourist is very severe, often death. 

Until it affects tourist numbers, expect no changes here. At which time it will be too late to remedy.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

As far as the assault goes he admitted that it was started by the Thais who would be fined 5,000 baht each. The tourists - and he mentioned seven people - were fined 1,000 baht each for their part in the melee.

So the Thais start the fight and hit Tourists and the tourist have to pay a fine of 1.000 THB because they just defense their self?

Not acceptable!!! But TiT!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PAIBKK said:

They can easily arrest at least 12 fake watch sellers per hour.

Visiting a friend on holiday in Pattaya last January. We were on 2nd road having a few beers. In less than 1 hour we counted 12 fake watch sellers at our table. 

Set up is easy. Have one or two farangs going to a bar and have a plain cloth officer paying attention. 
Arrests can easily be made. But probably the Thai police force in Pattaya don't have any brains to come up with a plan like this... Or they are in it too..

Great idea.

But they don't really care about the fake goods.

They do this kind of setup on Soi six with foriegners and they send them in to bars on Soi six to buy short time so they can come in after and bust the bar.

I guess the fake goods sellers pay better tea money then the bars.

Don't worry your low class Thai criminals. We won't arrest or charge you even washed. You have a licence to harass and if you get your face smashed in. We will arrest them. So please keep up the good work you lowies.

Edited by Media1
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

He shouldnt have used the word..'attack'.  That could do far more damage  than 50 farangs being bashed or robbed  on any given Sunday.  I hope that cop didnt pay too much for his commisssion. Could be Roi-et  posting for him  before Songkran.    Somtam very hot out in the sticks. No action either.