Online Chat With The American Ambassador

sriracha john

This looks interesting :o :

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://usinfo.state.gov/usinfo/USINFO/Prod...4_jan_2007.html

Thailand enters 2007 facing a host of domestic political, economic, and social problems. Restoring democracy following the September 19, 2006, coup and putting an end to the growing insurgency in the southern part of the country are but two of the biggest challenges facing the government and people of Thailand. Despite these crises, U.S.-Thailand bilateral relations have remained as strong as they have been since 1833 -- when Thailand entered into the Treaty of Amity and Commerce with the United States and became the United States’ first Asian treaty ally. Join U.S. Ambassador to the Kingdom of Thailand Ralph L. Boyce January 24 from 7- 8:30 p.m. for an online discussion about the state of U.S-Thai relations.

Date: Wednesday, 24 January 2007

Time: 7:00 a.m. EST (19:00 Bangkok)

boyce.jpg

Ralph L. Boyce

U.S. Ambassador to the Kingdom of Thailand

State Department Photo

Guest Biography:

A career member of the Senior Foreign Service, Ralph Boyce was sworn in as the U.S. ambassador to Thailand by Secretary of State Colin Powell on December 15, 2004.

Boyce first worked at the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok as a political counselor from August 1988 to August 1992. His second tour of duty there was as deputy chief of mission from October 1994 until August 1988.

His other assignments have included serving as the U.S. ambassador to Indonesia (October 2001 to October 2004), and as deputy assistant secretary of state for East Asia and Pacific Affairs (August 1998 to July 2001).

Boyce was born February 1, 1952, in Washington, D.C. He obtained a bachelor's degree from George Washington University in 1974, and a master's degree in public affairs from Princeton University in 1976. Boyce joined the Foreign Service in 1976, and speaks Persian, French, and Thai.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

*edit*

click on the above link to go to the chat

not sure if jayenram will be guest moderator for the chat or not.... :D

Edited by sriracha john

OK, if you missed the chat, here it is:

Name: Webchat Moderator

Welcome to our webchat with Ambassador Ralph Boyce. You may begin sending in your questions now by typing into the box below. When you have finished typing your question, click on the button marked "post" in the bottom right of your screen. Please send in one question at a time.

Only those questions selected by Ambassador Boyce will appear on the screen beginning at 19:00 January 24.

We look forward to hearing from you.

ชื่อ: ผู้ดำเนินรายการสนทนาออนไลน์

ขอต้อนรับสู่รายการสนทนาออนไลน์กับเอกอัครราชทูต ราล์ฟ บอยซ์ ครับ ท่านสามารถพิมพ์คำถามที่ท่านต้องการถามท่านทูตในกรอบด้านล่างและคลิกที่ปุ่ม “post” ที่มุมล่างขวาของจอคอมพิวเตอร์ กรุณาส่งคำถามเพียงครั้งละหนึ่งคำถามเท่านั้นครับ

คำถามที่ท่านทูตบอยซ์เลือกจะปรากฎอยู่หน้าจอตั้งแต่เวลา 19.00 น. วันที่ 24 มกราคม

แล้วพบกันนะครับ

[January 8, 2007 10:29]Name: Guest

hi.......

[January 22, 2007 21:24]

Dear participants. We are receiving your questions, thank you for your interest in today's webchat. The webchat will begin shortly.

PLEASE REMEMBER TO USE THE "REFRESH" BUTTON TO UPDATE THE CHAT TEXT! [January 23, 2007 08:39]

Name: Ambassador Boyce

Good evening from Bangkok. I’m Ambassador Ralph Boyce and am very pleased to host this webchat this evening on the subject of U.S.-Thai relations. We have already received several questions and I’ll try to answer as many of them as I can. So with that, let’s begin.

สวัสดีครับ ผม ราล์ฟ บอยซ์ เอกอัครราชทูตสหรัฐอเมริกาประจำประเทศไทย ผมมีความยินดีอย่างยิ่งที่ได้มีโอกาสจัดรายการ webchat ในค่ำคืนนี้ในหัวข้อ ความสัมพันธ์สหรัฐ-ไทย เราได้รับคำถามมามากมายทีเดียว และผมจะพยายามตอบให้ได้มากที่สุดเท่าที่จะทำได้ เรามาเริ่มกันดีกว่าครับ

[January 24, 2007 06:53]

Name: Guest

In your opinion as you are the American Citizen, what will happen to this U.S.-Thailand Relations if the Civil War, or something similar happened here again? Will US do anything to secure their people? How will US Governemnt repond on such phenomenon?

Natthaphong, Student of the Faculty of Political Science, CMU [January 22, 2007 21:23]

I believe the sentiment of national unity in Thailand overall remains high. Thai leaders have talked about their effort to bring about unity and reconciliation, given divisions in the country that widened during the recent period of political turbulence. However, although there is a wide range of views in Thailand, I am confident that the Thai people want to express these views in an open, democratic political system, rather than pick up arms and fight. [January 24, 2007 07:01]

Name: Kregger

How long have you been Ambassador? Were you appointed by President Bush? Are you a republican? [January 24, 2007 07:00]

I am a career diplomat and have worked for the State Department since 1976, under numerous administrations, both Democratic and Republican. I was appointed Ambassador to Indonesia in 2001 by President Bush and confirmed by the Senate. I was then fortunate enough to be appointed Ambassador to Thailand in 2004 (again by President Bush) and I have been here now for two very interesting years. [January 24, 2007 07:05]

In the long relationship between US and Thailand, culture and dialog have played important roles in augmenting the ties between "The Eagle" and "The Elephant." For the foreseeable future, what in your estimation would be the pivots of the Thai -US relationship as the 21st Century evolves ? [January 23, 2007 05:16]

The Thai-U.S. relationship has matured. Together, our countries need to prepare to face a whole host of new challenges. Fifty years ago, no one envisioned the need for international cooperation on issues like transnational disease, environmental degradation or terrorism. Our bilateral relationship has the potential to serve as an example for this entire region. I foresee us working together with other nations in Southeast Asia and elsewhere on a number of issues such as fostering an environment that rewards entrepreneurship, setting up a multinational effort to mitigate the effects of natural disaster, curbing the spread of disease and, protecting maritime security among others. [January 24, 2007 07:06]

What are US highpoints in international diplomacy ? [January 23, 2007 05:16]

Today, U.S. diplomats are working around the globe to spread democracy and combat terrorism. This issue remains of vital importance and will require collaboration with partners everywhere. At the same time, recent successes in promoting free trade are likely to lead to greater prosperity for millions. Many citizens are not aware of the important role international diplomacy has played in reducing the threat of transnational disease like Avian Influenza or to reduce the horrific human cost of natural disasters. I am especially proud of the global effort that we undertook to respond to the December 2004 tsunami. [January 24, 2007 07:08]

Name: Panu

เรียน ท่านทูตฯ ที่นับถือ

เป็นไปได้หรือไม่ครับ ที่จะให้ทุนการศึกษาดูงาน ของหน่วยงานด้านความมั่นคง กระจายออกสู่ต่างจังหวัดบ้าง ไม่กระจุกตัวอยู่แต่ใน กทม. เพราะเจ้าหน้าที่ ที่มีความรู้ความสามารถและนำความรู้ที่ได้รับมาใช้ประโยชน์ในการปฏิบัติหน้าที่ในต่างจังหวัด มีมากกว่าใน กทม.

ขอบคุณครับ [January 24, 2007 07:01]

เราไม่มีข้อจำกัดว่าจะให้ทุนเฉพาะกรุงเทพฯ ถ้ามีคุณสมบัติครบถ้วน ก็สมัครมาได้ครับ [January 24, 2007 07:10]

Dear participants, if you have more than one question we kindly ask that you send in each one separately. Thank you! [January 24, 2007 07:10]

ไม่ทราบว่า ท่านทูตเข้าใจสถานการณ์ที่แท้จริงที่เกิดขึ้นในประเทศไทยหรือเปล่า และเข้าใจถึงเหตุผลที่ต้องมีการเปลี่ยนแปลงการปกครองเมื่อวัน 19 ก.ย.ที่ผ่านมาหรือไม่ [January 23, 2007 05:16]

ไม่ทราบว่า ท่านทูตเข้าใจสถานการณ์ที่แท้จริงที่เกิดขึ้นในประเทศไทยหรือเปล่า และเข้าใจถึงเหตุผลที่ต้องมีการเปลี่ยนแปลงการปกครองเมื่อวัน 19 ก.ย.ที่ผ่านมาหรือไม่

Do you understand what is really happening in Thailand and the reason for the September 19 coup?

We try our best to understand what is happening here. I am of course familiar with the four reasons the coup leaders provided on the night of the coup: healing social divisions, restoring a system of independent checks and balances, fighting corruption, and ensuring due respect for the monarchy. Frankly, I had hoped that such matters could be resolved without the military leaders resorting to a coup. The question now is how the Thai people can move forward from this point and restore a system of democratic governance. We have encouraged the Royal Thai Government to lift martial law, restore full civil liberties, draft a new constitution, and return to elected government as quickly as possible.

เราพยายามเต็มที่ที่จะทำความเข้าใจสถานการณ์ในขณะนี้ ผมทราบดีถึงเหตุผลสี่ข้อที่คณะปฏิรูปการปกครองฯ ระบุว่าเป็นเหตุผลในการทำรัฐประหารในคืนวันที่ 19 กันยายน เหตุผลทั้งสี่ได้แก่ การสมานความแตกแยกในสังคม การนำระบบถ่วงดุลอำนาจที่เป็นอิสระกลับคืนมา การปราบปรามคอร์รัปชั่น และการรับประกันว่าสถาบันกษัตริย์จะได้รับการเคารพ พูดตรงๆ แล้ว ผมเคยหวังว่าปัญหาเหล่านี้จะสามารถแก้ไขได้โดยที่ผู้นำทางทหารไม่ต้องหันไปใช้วิธีรัฐประหาร ปัญหาตอนนี้ก็คือคนไทยจะเดินหน้าต่อไปและนำระบอบประชาธิปไตยกลับมาอย่างไร เราได้สนับสนุนให้รัฐบาลไทยยกเลิกกฎอัยการศึก คืนสิทธิพลเมืองอย่างสมบูรณ์ให้ประชาชน ร่างรัฐธรรมนูญฉบับใหม่ และมีรัฐบาลที่มาจากการเลือกตั้งโดยเร็วที่สุด

[January 24, 2007 07:11]

Name: zeazon

what you usually do during the weekends ? any favorite place? [January 24, 2007 07:08]

My favorite place is relaxing at home with a good book or movie. [January 24, 2007 07:12]

Name: Ai

สหรัฐ คิดอย่างไรกับการที่ พ.ต.ท. ทักษิณ ให้สัมภาษณ์ CNN [January 17, 2007 17:26]

The question is, what does the USG think of Thaksin’s recent interview with CNN.

Like others in Thailand, I was not able to see this interview because UBC interrupted the CNN coverage. Frankly, I think that the decision to cut off CNN's coverage was regrettable, and it may have been counterproductive, insofar as it simply drew more attention to Mr. Thaksin than he would have received if the interview had aired. It also raises questions about the commitment in Thailand to full freedom of the press.

[January 24, 2007 07:15]

หากประเทศไทยยังไม่สามารถเลือกตั้งหรือกลับไปเป็นระบอบประชาธิปไตยได้ตามที่ระยะเวลาที่วางไว้ สหรัฐฯจะมีการกำหนดนโยบายต่างประเทศต่อประเทศไทยในทิศทางใด

สกาวรัตน์ ทองลอย นักศึกษาวิชาในวิชา USA IN WORLD POLITICS คณะรัฐศาสตร์ มหาวิทยาลัยเชียงใหม่.

[January 23, 2007 08:27]

หากประเทศไทยยังไม่สามารถเลือกตั้งหรือกลับไปเป็นระบอบประชาธิปไตยได้ตามที่ระยะเวลาที่วางไว้ สหรัฐฯจะมีการกำหนดนโยบายต่างประเทศต่อประเทศไทยในทิศทางใดสกาวรัตน์ ทองลอย นักศึกษาวิชาในวิชา USA IN WORLD POLITICS คณะรัฐศาสตร์ มหาวิทยาลัยเชียงใหม่.

What would be the direction of US foreign policy on Thailand should Thailand be unable to hold an election or return to democracy as scheduled?

A. We have seen progress toward elections and restoration of the democratic system. Embassy officials and I have been watching closely as the coup leaders handed over most power to a civilian government, and established a parliament and the National People's Assembly, which then formed the Constitution Drafting Assembly. Now, the Constitution Drafting Committee has been formed and is beginning work on the new charter. So far, Thais have shown they can basically stick with their originally announced timeline. I hope the interim government will abide by its commitment to have a new constitution in place by mid-2007, with elections soon thereafter. I think this is what the Thai people and the interim administration want, and if there is anything the US can do to support the restoration of democracy, we are ready to do so.

เราได้เห็นความคืบหน้าสู่การเลือกตั้งและการนำระบอบประชาธิปไตยกลับคืนมา เจ้าหน้าที่ของสถานทูตสหรัฐฯ และผมติดตามสถานการณ์อย่างใกล้ชิดในขณะที่คณะปฏิรูปการปกครองคืนอำนาจส่วนใหญ่ให้รัฐบาลพลเรือนและจัดตั้งรัฐสภาและสภานิติบัญญัติแห่งชาติ ซึ่งเป็นผู้คัดเลือกสภาร่างรัฐธรรมนูญ ในขณะนี้ ได้มีการจัดตั้งคณะกรรมาธิการยกร่างรัฐธรรมนูญขึ้นมาแล้ว และได้เริ่มการร่างรัฐธรรมนูญแล้ว เท่าที่ผ่านมา รัฐบาลไทยบอกว่าจะสามารถร่างรัฐธรรมนูญได้เสร็จภายในเวลาที่กำหนดไว้ ผมหวังว่ารัฐบาลชั่วคราวจะทำตามเจตนารมณ์ที่กำหนดไว้ว่าจะมีรัฐธรรมนูญใหม่ภายในกลางปีนี้ และจะมีการเลือกตั้งหลังจากนั้นไม่นาน ผมคิดว่านี่คือสิ่งที่คนไทยและรัฐบาลชั่วคราวต้องการ และถ้ามีอะไรที่ผมจะสามารถทำได้เพื่อสนับสนุนให้ไทยกลับสู่ระบอบประชาธิปไตยตามเดิม ผมก็พร้อมจะทำ

[January 24, 2007 07:19]

Name: tovar

Dear sir,

A while earlier you met with prof Noranit, the chairman of the constitution drafting committee. During the meeting your suggestion was that the committee should finish the drafting process within the next 4 months. I wonder what was your reasoning for the suggestion since I believe that such process will require much more time frame htan that. Also I would like to hear your view on the fact that there has to be a national referendum before our new constitution can take effect and that Thailand has never, in our history, held a proper national referendum before. Do you think it can be done especially within the time frame you suggested? [January 24, 2007 07:10]

This is a good opportunity for me to clarify this issue. Before I met him. I had read somewhere that Professor Noranit had said that perhaps the drafting committee could completet its work in four months, so I asked him about that. He explained that the quote must have been taken out of context, and described the timetable which is set out in the interim constitution. I thanked him for the clarification and added that we would be pleased if the process could be speeded up but that obviously would have to depend on the committee's progress. The important thing is to produce a good document. Your second question concerns the referendum. This is indeed very exciting, as Thailand has never done this before. Just today, I heard the Prime Minister reiterate that the government is committed to the referendum, and we have every confidence they will keep to their timeframe. [January 24, 2007 07:20]

Does the US consider the Muslim conflict in South Thailand to be part of the international war on terror, or merely as a regional ethnic conflict? [January 24, 2007 07:16]

Both the U.S. and Thailand view the situation in the South as a domestic issue. [January 24, 2007 07:22]

Name: aksarapaak

ขอเรียนถามท่านทูตว่า สหรัฐฯ มองว่า สถานการณ์ความไม่สงบในพื้นที่สามจังหวัดชายแดนภาคใต้นั้น เสี่ยงต่อการเข้ามาของกลุ่มผู้ก่อการร้ายสากลหรือไม่คะ [January 24, 2007 07:16]

ในเรื่องภาคใต้นั้น ทั้งสหรัฐและไทยเห็นว่าเป็นเรื่องภายในของประเทศไทย [January 24, 2007 07:25]

Name: Panu

เรียน ท่านทูต ที่นับถือ,

ผมชื่อ ภาณุ ครับ เป็นที่ปรึกษา ผู้ว่าราชการจังหวัดภูเก็ต และอุปนายกสมาคมท่องเที่ยวจังหวัดภูเก็ต ผมได้มีโอกาสร่วมงานกับ FPD Thailand ในเรื่องการสัมมนาด้านการต่อต้านการก่อการ้ายสากล ซึ่งท่านผู้ว่าฯรู้สึกขอบคุณ คุณเดวิด แอล เทอร์เนอร์ และ คุณสก็อต เบอร์เน็ท ที่ได้ช่วยเหลือจังหวัดภูเก็ตตลอดมา ในเรื่องของความปลอดภัย แต่ที่จังหวัดภูเก็ต ต้องการในขณะนี้คือ การแวะเยี่ยมเยือน ของทหารเรืออเมริกัน ซึ่งห่างหายไปนานมาก ไม่ทราบว่าเราจะมีโอกาสได้ต้อนรับ หมู่เรือ อีกเมื่อไหร่ครับ [January 24, 2007 07:15]

ขอบคุณที่สนใจเกี่ยวกับการเยือนภูเก็ตของทหารเรือและกองเรืออเมริกัน ทางสถานทูตจะตรวจสอบกำหนดการเยือนของกองเรืออเมริกันอีกครั้งหนึ่ง [January 24, 2007 07:30]

Name: oil

จากการที่ได้ติดตามข่าวการเลือกตั้งประธานาธิบดีที่จะมาถึงในไม่ช้านี้ รวมถึงการที่พรรคเดโมแครตได้ครองเสียงข้างมากทั้งสองสภาในขณะนี้ จึงอยากทราบว่าหากผู้สมัครจากพรรคเดโมแครตได้รับชัยชนะ ท่านคิดว่าหากเป็นเช่นนั้นแล้วนโนบายของสหรัฐอเมริกาในการจัดการกับปัญหาในอิรักจะเป็นไปในทิศทางใด

และในฐานะที่ไทยและสหรัฐอเมริกามีความสัมพันธ์อันดีต่อกันมานาน อีกทั้งในฐานะที่สหรัฐอเมริกามีความเชี่ยวชาญเกี่ยวกับประเด็นการก่อการร้าย ท่านมีความคิดเห็นอย่างไรต่อปัญหา 3 จังหวัดชายแดนภาคใต้ของไทยที่ขณะนี้ยังไม่มีทีท่าว่าจะลดลง [January 23, 2007 08:29]

I have followed the news about the presidential election that is going to happen soon. Since the Democrats command the majority in both houses in the Congress now, if they win (in the presidential election), what will be US policy direction toward Iraq? Also, considering the long-standing Thai-US relations and the expertise the US has in terrorism issues, what is your view on the problem in the 3 southern border provinces that does not show any sign of improvement?

It would be premature to speculate who will win the 2008 election or what their policy towards Iraq might be.

On the south, both the U.S. and Thailand view the situation in the far South as a domestic issue. The interim government has taken some steps to improve the dialogue necessary to resolve the conflict. Realistically, it will probably take several more years before the situation can be resolved and peace restored.

คงจะเร็วเกินไปถ้าเราจะคาดการณ์ว่าใครจะชนะการเลือกตั้งในปีหน้า หรือนโยบายต่ออิรักของรัฐบาลใหม่จะเป็นอย่างไร

สำหรับเรื่องภาคใต้นั้น ทั้งสหรัฐฯ และไทยมองว่าเป็นปัญหาภายในประเทศ รัฐบาลชั่วคราวได้ดำเนินมาตรการบางอย่างเพื่อช่วยให้การเจรจาที่จำเป็นในการแก้ไขความขัดแย้งมีประสิทธิภาพขึ้น ถ้าจะกล่าวจริงๆ แล้ว ไทยคงจะต้องใช้เวลาอีกหลายปีกว่าจะแก้ปัญหา และนำความสงบสุขกลับคืนมาสู่ภาคใต้ได้

[January 24, 2007 07:33]

Name: skeyja

Mr. Ambassador, are all U.S. installations in Thailand following the Presidential Proclamation that all Flags will be flown at half-staff for thirty days after the death of President Ford? The order specifically applies to all U.S. missions and military facilities overseas, yet I was told that your Embassy is not following the White House order. True?

[January 23, 2007 08:29]

We are indeed flying the flag at half mast at all official US installations in Thailand. [January 24, 2007 07:33]

Name: zacool

Dear Sir,

I would like to ask you that Do you think the growing insurgency in the southern part of Thailand is affect U.S.security or U.S. Policy?

Best Regards,

Vorachai Pichitkanjanakul

3rd year student

from U.S. in World Politics Class,

Faculty of Political Science and Public Administration,

Chiangmai University. [January 23, 2007 08:30]

As friends of Thailand, we are concerned by the violence but hope the Thai people can find a way to resolve the situation peacefully. Neither the Thai nor US governments are interested in any kind of direct US role in the situation. [January 24, 2007 07:36]

A reminder to our participants: Just hit the "Refresh" button above to see the latest answers! [January 24, 2007 07:36]

Name: sanyalak

What is the current status of the US military assistance render to Thailand,Is it gonna get better and bigger?

What is the interagency review committee in DC looking at the exercise Cobra Gold,Is there any chances of the exercise to be occured in Thailand as previously planned?or just the Conferences(IPC and FPC)

How come your Government tries to set conditions by using a lifting of the Martial Law and the restoring of the Media freedom of criticism to be resulted in the occurring of the exercise,Actually all the bilateral Thai-US exercise are not abided by the sanction of Article 508 [January 17, 2007 19:43]

About $29 million of U.S. military assistance to Thailand was suspended after the September 19 coup. Many other programs continue. Over the past thirty years, our military relationship with Thailand has matured and will likely continue to do so in years to come.

The Cobra Gold Initial Planning Conference (IPC) is underway this week in Bangkok and Americans are participating. We hope to make a final determination shortly about whether the United States will participate in this year’s Cobra Gold exercise.

Our Congress has mandated that certain types of U.S. assistance – including International Military Education and Training and certain types of equipment transfers funded by U.S. taxpayers -- be automatically suspended after a military coup. Other types of military cooperation -- including exercises and military sales – are not subject to automatic sanctions under Section 508 of the Foreign Assistance Act but are subject to review by Washington.

[January 24, 2007 07:37]

Please talk about the current US policy towards the repressive government in Burma and how it relates to US-Thai relations considering the Thai government isn't actively applying pressure on Burma (especially considering the lack of a current democracy in Thailand). [January 24, 2007 07:01]

Despite the NLD's decisive victory in Burma's 1990 national election, the military junta ruling Burma continues to harass and arrest NLD members and refuses to engage the democratically elected representatives of the Burmese people in a meaningful process of political reform.

The United States condemns the Burmese regime’s blatant attempts to intimidate and silence those who are working to promote freedom, respect for human rights and democracy in Burma.

The United States calls on the Burmese regime to release immediately and unconditionally all political prisoners cease its systematic violations of human rights and initiate a genuine process of national reconciliation that includes all parties.

Both Thailand and the United States seek a free and stable Burma. We explored ways we can promote democratization and national reconciliation in Burma.

Thailand and the US are both concerned about the situation in Burma. The Burmese people are suffering terrible hardship under a cruel and illegitimate military dictatorship.

Thailand is hurt by this -- you have to cope with Burmese refugees, instability along your border, drug trafficking. Thailand and the US share a common interest in seeing a stable and democratic government in Rangoon.

We have had some disagreements over the best way to achieve that goal. From our point of view, we do not believe that the military dictators in Rangoon are sincerely interested in cooperating with their ASEAN partners to improve the situation. We do not believe that they will respond to reasonable and well-intentioned efforts.

We were pleased to see the principled position that ASEAN countries took during the East Asian Summit meeting, calling for the release of political prisoners and faster movement toward democracy. We hope that ASEAN’s tougher position will help the Rangoon understand that it is time for the junta to keep its promises to the world and to the Burmese people.

[January 24, 2007 07:40]

Name: xiongvn

Dear Ambassador Boyce:

I believe the United States has a moral obligation to stop Thailand from sending the 153 Hmong currently detained in Nong Khai back to Laos. These refugees came out to Thailand from their hideouts in the jungle of central Laos and must be protected. If sending back, they will face danger.

Laos wants them back because they had revealed its three decades long genocide. That country wants to put these people to death to silence all its problems, and Thailand is helping it in every way possible to do just that.

We need your help. Please protect these people.

Thank you.

Victor N. Xiong [January 22, 2007 21:23]

We know that the situation in Nong Khai is very serious. We have raised this issue at the highest level with Thai officials and expressed our deepest concern about the detainees. We understand the Thai Government’s concerns about Thailand becoming a magnet for refugees from neighboring countries, but we will continue to oppose the deportation of the Hmong to Laos and to urge the Thai government to allow them to be resettled in another country where they will be safe.

[January 24, 2007 07:42]

Name: supap

ความสัมพันธ์ระหว่างไทย สหรัฐ จะเป็นไปไหนทิศทางไหน สำหรับในสถานะการปัจจุบัน

จะมีผลกระทบในการขอวีซ่าไปศึกษาต่อที่สหรัฐ มากน้อยแค่ไหน [January 24, 2007 07:01]

สถานการณ์ในปัจจุบันไม่ส่งผลกระทบต่อนโยบายการออกวีซ่าให้นักเรียนไทย ปัจจุบัน นักเรียนไทยในสหรัฐมีจำนวนมากเป็นอันดับ 10 เมื่อเทียบกับจำนวนนักศึกษาจากประเทศอื่นๆ ในโลก [January 24, 2007 07:45]

Name: bcvargas

Sir, what is the future of U-S Thai Military relations and programs like exchange officers in country as well as Major exercises like Cobra Gold [January 17, 2007 17:26]

Over the past thirty years, our military relationship with Thailand has matured and will likely continue to do so in years to come. As I told another participant, we hope to make a final determination shortly about whether the United States will participate in this year’s Cobra Gold exercise. [January 24, 2007 07:48]

ท่านคิดว่าแนวโน้มในการทำ FTA ระหว่างไทย- สหรัฐฯ จะเป็นไปในทิศทางใด หากผลการเลือกตั้งในครั้งต่อไป พรรคที่ได้รับการเลือกตั้งคือพรรคเดโมแครตซึ่งมีนโยบายที่แตกต่างไปจากพรรครีพับลิกัน อีกทั้งประเทศไทยก็ยังไม่มีรัฐบาลที่มาจากการเลือกตั้งตามแบบประชาธิปไตยอย่างสมบูรณ์

วัลลภา มณีเชษฐา นักศึกษาวิชา USA IN WORLD POLITICS คณะรัฐศาสตร์ มหาวิทยาลัยเชียงใหม่ [January 23, 2007 19:57]

Q. If the Democrats, who have different policies from the Republicans, win the next election and Thailand still doesn’t have a democratically-elected government by then, what do you think the tendency of the Thai-US FTA will be?

(Question from Ms. Wallapa Maneechetha, student in USA in World Politics, Faculty of Political Science, Chiang Mai University)

The policy not to re-open bilateral free trade negotiations with Thailand until the restoration of a democratically elected government has widespread bipartisan support in Congress. This position is, therefore, unlikely to change no matter which party occupies the White House.

นโยบายของสหรัฐฯ ที่จะไม่เปิดการเจรจาการค้าเสรีกับไทยอีกครั้งจนกว่าไทยจะมีรัฐบาลที่มาจากการเลือกตั้ง ได้รับการสนับสนุนอย่างกว้างขวางจากพรรคการเมืองทั้งสองพรรคในสภาคองเกรส ดังนั้น จุดยืนนี้คงจะไม่เปลี่ยนแปลง ไม่ว่าพรรคใดจะได้เข้าไปอยู่ในทำเนียบขาว

[January 24, 2007 07:51]

Within the plethora of Thai-US initiatives, how iminical is education as a common objective towards securing democracy in Thailand and in the greater Asia ? What, do you see as the preferred agenda for the US, towards augmenting education in Thailand ?

Glen Chatelier, Director, The Office of International Affairs, Assumption University [January 23, 2007 05:15]

Thanks for the question. We consider education and educational exchange to be one of the pillars of our broader people-to-people relationship with Thailand; it is therefore a high priority for the U.S.

We have supported Thailand’s education reform initiatives over the past several years, bringing American educational experts to Thailand to share their ideas with Thai educators.

We have supported Thai efforts to establish and enhance its new community college system, designed to meet local educational needs, by providing State Department funding for a partnership between a coalition of U.S. community colleges and the Ministry of Education

We have worked closely with universities in Thailand, by supporting American Studies programs, bringing American academics to address classes or conduct workshops, participating in international performing arts festivals, and supporting curriculum development.

We established American Corners at five universities in Thailand – Chiang Mai Univ; Nakhon Si Thammarat Rajabhat Univ; PSU Pattani; Yala Rajabhat Univ; Khon Kaen Univ. – to help students and members of the community learn more about the United States.

We are pleased that nearly 9,000 Thai students study in the U.S. each year, putting Thailand in 10th place in the world. We encourage all qualified Thai students to choose the United States for study. We have an active student advising program to provide students with accurate information.

The U.S. and Thailand have jointly managed the Fulbright scholarship program for more than 50 years. It promotes mutual understanding and benefits students and scholars from both countries.

Our Regional English Lanugage Office (RELO) has a number of programs that serve to enhance the teaching of English in Thailand.

[January 24, 2007 07:53]

Name: zeazon

ท่านทูตมีแบคกราวด์อย่างไรบ้างครับ ถึงได้ถูกส่งมาแต่ประเทศแถวเอเชียตะวันออกเฉียงใต้ คืออินโด และไทย [January 24, 2007 07:13]

ผมโตขึ้นในครอบครัวนักการทูต และก่อนที่ผมจะมาเป็นทูตที่อินโดนีเซยกับไทย ผมเคยมาปฏิบัติราชการที่เมืองไทยสองวาระ แลผมเคยประจำอยูที่สิงคโปร์ด้วย นอกจากนี้ ผมเคยรับผิดชอบกิจการเอเชียตะวันออกเฉียงใต้และแปซิฟิกในกระทรวงการต่างประเทศสหรัฐด้วย [January 24, 2007 07:53]

Name: nophaket

How could the insurgency in Yala-Patani-Narathiwat be solved? In which aspects would you involve? [January 23, 2007 05:17]

It will be up to the Thai government and people to develop and implement a range of long-term measures to stop the violence and return peace to the long troubled region. Neither the U.S. nor Thai Government is interested in any kind of direct U.S. role in the situation.

There have been some positive recent developments: Last year, former Prime Minister Anand offered a series of recommendations through the National Reconciliation Commission to address the situation in the South. Recently, the government has made a series of conciliatory gestures towards the South, including a dramatic apology by Prime Minister Surayud for the regrettable incident at Tak Bai. In addition, the government has recently reactivated the Southern Border Province Administrative Center which seeks to coordinate government efforts and reach out to the local population. We support all of these efforts by the Thai people to address this internal issue.

[January 24, 2007 07:57]

Dear Sir

I hope that the relationship between our 2 contries will be as strong as ever since it's the United States who helps us from the defeat of the Second World War and more recently helped protect from the spread of Comunism in the 60's [January 24, 2007 08:00]

ในช่วงการประชุม APEC ที่ฮานอย ทราบว่า ท่านประธานาธิบดี บุช ได้รับคำแนะนำไม่ให้แสถงท่าทีในเชิงบวกกับผู้นำไทย จริงหรือไม่คะ แล้วการที่ท่านประธานาธิบดีมาทักทายท่านสุรยุทธ์ถือว่าเป็นท่าทีที่ดีหรือไม่ เพราะไม่ทราบว่าท่านพูดอะไรกัน ท่านทูตทราบเรื่องนี้หรือไม่คะ [January 24, 2007 07:33]

การพบกันของผู้นำทั้งสองที่ฮานอยเป็นไปอย่างเป็นมิตร ประธานาธิบดีบุชได้กล่าวกับพลเอกสุรยุทธ์ว่าไทยและสหรัฐเป็นมิตรกันมานานและจะเป็นเพื่อนที่ดีกันต่อไปอีกนาน นอกจากนี้ ประธานาธิบดับุชยังบอกกับพลเอกสุรยุทธ์ด้วยว่าจะส่งอดีตประธานาธิบดีบุชผู้พ่อมาร่วมเฉลิมฉลองโอกาสที่พระบาทสมเด็จพระเจ้าอยู่หัวฯครองสิริราชสมบัติครบ 60 ปี ในเดือนธันวาคมด้วย [January 24, 2007 08:03]

Name: oil

ในฐานะที่ไทยและสหรัฐอเมริกามีความสัมพันธ์อันดีต่อกันมานาน ข้าพเจ้าอยากทราบว่าเรื่องของปัญหา 3 จังหวัดชายแดนภายใต้ของไทยนั้นจะส่งผลกระทบต่อความสัมพันธ์ระหว่างไทยกับสหรัฐอเมริกาที่มีมานานทั้งในด้านเศรษฐกิจ ด้านการเมือง ด้านความสัมพันธ์ระหว่างประเทศ และอื่นๆ หรือไม่อย่างไร และในฐานะที่สหรัฐอเมริกามีความเชี่ยวชาญในประเด็นการก่อการร้าย ท่านมีความคิดเห็นอย่างไรต่อปัญหานี้

นางสาวภัทราภรณ์ ภักดี นึกศึกษาวิชา US in World Politics คณะรัฐศาสตร์ฯ มหาวิทยาลัยเชียงใหม่ [January 23, 2007 08:28]

Thailand is our close friend an ally; our broad relationship has not been affected by the insurgency in the far South. It is the people of the region -- both Muslims and Buddhists -- who have been affected and are suffering because of the ongoing violence.

Overall we have excellent relationships with Thai law enforcement and with the military, and the U.S. and Thailand have a long history of close security cooperation. We are willing to share our experience through training and exchanges in areas such as economic development, peaceful policing techniques, and the use of non-lethal force. But I reiterate: we are not interested in any direct involvement.

ไทยเป็นมิตรประเทศและพันธมิตรใกล้ชิดกับสหรัฐฯ และความสัมพันธ์ที่กว้างขวางของเราไม่ได้รับผลกระทบใดๆ จากเหตุการณ์ความไม่สงบทางภาคใต้ คนที่ได้รับผลกระทบคือชาวมุสลิมและชาวพุทธที่อาศัยอยู่ที่นั่น คนเหล่านี้กำลังเดือดร้อนจากความรุนแรงที่ดำเนินอยู่

โดยรวมแล้ว เรามีความสัมพันธ์ที่ยอดเยี่ยมกับเจ้าหน้าที่ผู้บังคับใช้กฎหมายและทหารของไทย สหรัฐฯ และไทยมีประวัติความร่วมมือด้านความมั่นคงอย่างใกล้ชิดและยาวนาน เรายินดีแบ่งปันประสบการณ์ของเราด้วยการจัดฝึกอบรมและการแลกเปลี่ยนในเรื่องต่างๆ เช่น การพัฒนาเศรษฐกิจ เทคนิคการรักษาความสงบโดยสันติวิธี และการใช้กำลังโดยไม่ทำให้เกิดการสูญเสียชีวิต แต่ผมขอย้ำว่าเราไม่ต้องการเข้าไปเกี่ยวข้องโดยตรง

[January 24, 2007 08:06]

Name: Beth Jinks

What are you hearing from US foreign direct investors over recent policy changes? What advice are you giving them? [January 24, 2007 07:37]

Hi, Beth. Just today there was an excellent session between the Prime Minister (and his economic ministers) and the combined chambers of commerce and ambassadors from major trading and investment partners. It was an opportunity for the Thai government to clarify recent economic policy questions and to take questions. It seemed to be very well received by all. [January 24, 2007 08:10]

ตอนนี้สหรัฐฯ มีนโยบายอย่างไรต่อประเทศไทยบ้างคะ และการระงับความร่วมมือทางการทหารส่งผลต่อการระงับการฝึกซ้อมรบร่วม Cobra Gold ในปีนี้ด้วยหรือไม่คะ [January 24, 2007 07:37]

ที่ประชุมวางแผนคอบร้าโกลด์ (IPC) กำลังมีการประชุมที่กรุงเทพฯ ในสัปดาห์นี้ และฝ่ายอเมริกันก็เข้ร่วมด้วย เราหวังว่าจะสามารถตัดสินใจได้เร็วๆ นี้ ว่าสหรัฐจะเข้าร่วมการฝึกคอบร้าโกลด์ในปีนี้หรือไม่ [January 24, 2007 08:17]

As time is running out, I notice that many of the questions I have not been able to get to have been addressed in previous posts, so I encourage people to scoll through the questions that have already been answered. Meanwhile let me try to get to some more postings before 8:30. [January 24, 2007 08:21]

The U.S. Department of State offers many online discussions and webchats for you to participate in. Learn about upcoming chats at http://usinfo.state.gov/usinfo/Products/Webchats.html

A transcript of this and other webchats can be found at http://usinfo.state.gov/usinfo/USINFO/Prod...ts/archive.html

We encourage you to visit http://bangkok.usembassy.gov where you can learn more about the U.S. and U.S-Thailand relations. If you have questions about applying for non-immigrant visas please visit http://thailand.us-visaservices.com where you can schedule an appointment.

[January 24, 2007 08:22]

ขออนุญาตชื่นชมท่านทูตที่มีความสามารถสร้างความประทับใจให้กับประชาชนที่ท่านทูตไปพำนักอยู่ได้ โดยเฉพาะอย่างยิ่งด้านกิริยา มารยาท ตามธรรมเนียมไทย ไม่ทราบว่าท่านทูตรู้จัก "พระกัลยาณมิตร" มั้ยคะ เป็นตำแหน่งที่ ร. 5 และ ร. 6 มอบให้กับมิชชันนารีที่ช่วยงานท่านอย่างมากและด้วยความซื่อสัตย์ ถ้าตอนนี้ยังมีตำแหน่งนี้อยู่จะยกให้ท่านทูตเลยคะ ในฐานะเป็นมิตรที่ดี [January 24, 2007 08:15]

ขอบคุณมากครับ นี่เป็นคำถามสุดท้ายที่ผมชื่นชมที่สุดในคืนนี้ [January 24, 2007 08:33]

Well, the time has sped by and I would like to thank all our participants. Sorry I couldn't get to all your questions. I hope we can do this again soon. Goodnight and good luck.

เวลาผ่านไปรวดเร็วมากครับ ผมขอขอบคุณทุกท่านที่ร่วมสนทนากับผมในวันนี้ ผมขอโทษที่ไมสามารถตอบทุกคำถามได้ แต่หวังว่าจะได้ร่วมรายการแบบนี้อีกในไม่ช้า โชคดี และราตรีสวัสดิ์ครับ [January 24, 2007 08:38]

Dear participants,

We hope you enjoyed today's webchat. The webchat is now closed. A transcript available in Word format will be availble on this site within ten minutes: please refresh your screen using the F5 key in order to obtain a transcript. The transcript will also be available at our webchat homepage http://usinfo.state.gov/usinfo/Products/Webchats.html within one business day.

If you have suggestions for future webchats please write to [email protected] [January 24, 2007 08:39]