Girlfriend very keen to register me at her family home

1 minute ago, Tanoshi said:

Don't take the g/f with you.........big mistake!

They only confuse the issue.

Look on branch websites......opening an account.........print it off and take it with you.

The front desk staff are really poorly trained.....ask for the manager, show them their own website requirements.

Stand firm, but be polite.

I would echo exactly what Tanoshi has said above.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I'd suggest calling the BKK Bank call centre (I think they're on shortcode 1333?) and ask - or rather insist on a Visa debit card. See what transpires.

Been there, got the t-shirt.

None in stock, no plans to order more.

Maybe an odd branch with a few Visa debit cards left.........pot luck.

When I complained they told me I should find another bank if I wanted a Visa debit card......so I did, same hour!

11 hours ago, Crisu said:

I tried all thai banks in bkk last year in dec. also several branched with condo rental contract 1 year, certificte of residence ect.

No one wanted to open savings account inlusive krugsi, krungthi wirhout work permit or own condo.

Which Krungsri branch?

• Like 1

Which Krungsri branch?

At silom, terminal 21 + area around + patong in jungceylon shopping. 

PS: i am im bkk now. If you give me the details where you open your savings account just with passport+rental contract then tell me exactly at which branch + if possible contact person there.

I will go there and report.

18 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

It's not always straightforward for foreigners to get a Thai bank credit card but it can be done, I've had one for a couple of years. Everyone who opens a bank account pretty much gets a debit card of some kind.

only those that are working would be able to get a thai bank credit card,  I have, ( since 97) a thai American express credit card..
Anyone opening a thai bank account can request a atm/debt card ( one in the same) with your limit being how much you have in your account.

are you on a non O or B visa? cant see why u would not be able to open an account.Try Kasikorn bank

Zero reason to be on her house book for you or her.not knowing her but i'd say some of her friends have been on about IF ur on her house book  it will be better for her  long term..

13 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

There is always one name in the Blue house book that is listed as "owner".

I owned my house for10 years till i sold it, had the blue book with NO thai's name in it. ( my name is in the back)
know other farangs here as well that own their homes thru companies with no thai name on the blue book

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Crisu said:

At silom, terminal 21 + area around + patong in jungceylon shopping. 

PS: i am im bkk now. If you give me the details where you open your savings account just with passport+rental contract then tell me exactly at which branch + if possible contact person there.

I will go there and report.

I opened my Bank account at Krungsri Central Rama 9 branch about 1.5 years ago with a tourist Visa (or Visa exempt, not sure) and a 6 months (or more) rental contract with my name on it.

It seems they changed their rules a bit since then, but it's still possible.

I just called them, and i talked with the branch manager (he speaks english, so if you go there and have any problems ask for the manager).

He told me these requirements:

Passport (First he said Visa for at least 6 months, i said what if i just have a tourist Visa, he said is ok, too, just the passport, Visa does not matter)

12 months rental contract.

If you are renting from a juristic person (company) that's sufficient.

In case that you are renting from a natural person (for example your GF writes a rental contract for you) he also wants a copy of this persons id card, signed, with phone number, and a note that says that you are allowed to stay at his / her place.

Good luck ;)

Edited by jackdd

3 minutes ago, jackdd said:

{snipped}

In case that you are renting from a natural person (for example your GF writes a rental contract for you) he also wants a copy of this persons id card, signed, with phone number, and a note that says that you are allowed to stay at his / her place.

Good luck ;)

It's great you've given so much detailed information for the OP to apply for a bank account.

I can't but comment on the part where you could have a rental contract, but also need confirmation that you can stay there?

Either it's Thai logic, or am I missing something obvious about it?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, phuketrichard said:

only those that are working would be able to get a thai bank credit card,  I have, ( since 97) a thai American express credit card..
Anyone opening a thai bank account can request a atm/debt card ( one in the same) with your limit being how much you have in your account.

are you on a non O or B visa? cant see why u would not be able to open an account.Try Kasikorn bank

Zero reason to be on her house book for you or her.not knowing her but i'd say some of her friends have been on about IF ur on her house book  it will be better for her  long term..

I don't work, I'm retired and my bank called me up one day and asked me if I wanted a credit card and I said no because you''ll tie up the funds in my savings accounts. They said no we wont and true to their word they didn't, that was four years ago at UOB and I still have the card, it's got 300k limit.  Debit/ATM cards.....they've always been a feature of every account I've ever had here, it comes with the account, the daily limit is not linked to your balance however, it varies from bank to bank.

47 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

It's great you've given so much detailed information for the OP to apply for a bank account.

I can't but comment on the part where you could have a rental contract, but also need confirmation that you can stay there?

Either it's Thai logic, or am I missing something obvious about it?

Probably so that you don't just write yourself on a contract on an address where you don't even stay.

Of course you could just write yourself a contract in the name of a company...

• Thanks 1

I opened my Bank account at Krungsri Central Rama 9 branch about 1.5 years ago with a tourist Visa (or Visa exempt, not sure) and a 6 months (or more) rental

I was at central plaza rama9, krugsri bank branch today:

20180302_115212fksca.jpg&key=50c1332c3fa1108f41ad18293cb9af1ef7d2a1aa98052ea66da731477bc1cd92

I asked the girl i want open a savings account+debit card:

We need work permit+passport.

I no have work permit.

Sorry, can not open account

But my friend open an account last year with your branch manager with only passport+room rental. Thats why i came to your branch here.

'Lady called then 2 other stuff. I am not sure it was the manager'

Mr., if you have no work permit we can open special account just with your passport.

"Wow, i was thinking, what a surprise. But then one more surprise'

Can i have internet banking?

NO

Can i habe app on phone?

NO

Can i transfer money to pay my room rent in thailand?

NO

Can i transfer minex at ATM

NO

Can i make fixed deposit ~300.000b for 1 year?

NO

What can i do with the account?

You can have savings accout+can cash money at ATM. This is very special account for foreigners without work permit.

'I forgot to ask if i can pay in a shop with this debit card'

I left then.

I never heared before about this kind of account but in my opinion useless.

The other krungsri branches that i visited last year just refused to open an account wirhout work permit.

This was a new story. But also interesting they only offered it to me when i told them a friend opened last year at same branch just with passport+room contact.

The more interesting was this time they even not asked for room contract. Just passport.

I really would like to know if this account would be limited this way in reality.

If someone want to try it go to central plaza rama, MRT station Phra Ram 9.

But i would really recommend to avoid checking 100 thai bank/brances without work permit or cond.

Its more hassle free in that case just go to UOB bank nowadays.

You get savings account, fixed deposit Visa debit, internet banking with NO limitation.

And all this with no work permit or codo but must show thai adress.

It was possible in jan. 18 in bkk (i only asked 1 branch in silom in silom complex)

and later i opened the account in patong wit the same documents they requested me in bkk.

So this is very recent info.

But ok, each his own, if someone has time checking several thai banks without work permit.

I have not read any recent report from someone at which branch exactly he could open an account at a thai bank recently without work permit.

Except my own experience with krungsri tpday in central rama but this account is useless in my opinion.

But again, bkk is big. Maybe somone find a branch to open an account without limitation somewhere.

But i also repeat: why do this hassle if UOB+CIMB bank offer to open a savings account without limitation and no need of work permit.

I have an old bangkok bank account with visa which i opened several years ago only with my passport.

But my visa will expire next year and my own branch where i am holding a savings account refused to open a fixed deposit.

Since visa is also not available at bangkok bank i was looking for another bank and could not succeed at any thai bank.

Krungsri at central rama was a surprise today:

Need only passport but account very limited.

I did not wanted to check this account and open it because i opened alread with UOB ladt month. If really limited it is of no use to me but i am not sure if it was only a fake story from staff and in reality there is no limitation

44 minutes ago, Crisu said:

[...]

Interesting and also very strange. When i opened my bank account it was no problem and the only person who i talked with was the girl at the desk who opened it for me. (I have a normal account, online banking, money transfer, pay bills, and so on)

I talked with the branch manager today when i called and he told me these requirements. It's a bit sad that you don't know if you really talked with the manager. (Of course i don't know if he was talking about such a limited account, because i did also never hear of it before and didn't ask about this, just about opening a bank account)

Edited by jackdd

4 years ago i walked into Bangkok Bank in Sukhumvit road with a 30 day tourist visa, deposited a thousand quid, i got a visa debit card also ATM usage, and went back to the UK so whats the problem >>?

Interesting and also very strange. When i opened my bank account it was no problem and the only person who i talked with was the girl at the desk who opened it for me. (I have a normal account, online banking, money transfer, pay bills, and so on)
I talked with the branch manager today when i called and he told me these requirements. It's a bit sad that you don't know if you really talked with the manager.
Well i did not want to make big story and did not requested branch boss since i was not really interested to open the account and she called already 2 other bank stuff for help so there were 3 around me and i was not sure one of them was the boss.

But ok. If someone only have passport can try krungsri at central rama. You get limited account but not need other documentation (only pasdport) and if someone want account with all normal function must request branch manager.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

• Like 1

Reason for a 'very limited account'

It may be that a pension provider will pay directly into an overseas account

One stipulation I have come across is that the name of the pension holder must appear on the account

Hence setting up an account in your name that can receive funds, providing card to withdraw at ATM

In this case it makes sense

19 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

They are not listed as 'owner'.

They are listed as 'head of household'.

Everybody else in the book is listed as 'dwellers' or 'tenants'.

The listing actually translates directly as "house holder". You can take that to mean what you like. I take it to mean "they who hold the house" as in hold the rights of the house. As in "owner".

Just now, youreavinalaff said:

The listing actually translates directly as "house holder". You can take that to mean what you like. I take it to mean "they who hold the house" as in hold the rights of the house. As in "owner".

Then what you think is wrong, the actual owner of the house and the person listed as "house holder" can be two different persons. (In nearly all house books it will be the same person, but it's possible that this are different persons)

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Then what you think is wrong, the actual owner of the house and the person listed as "house holder" can be two different persons. (In nearly all house books it will be the same person, but it's possible that this are different persons)

So...why, when my wife went to help her aunt borrow some money from the bank, did the bank say they could not do anything until the "owner" of the house, which is the aunt's husband, was there to sign the documents.?

Edited by youreavinalaff

3 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

So...why, when my wife went to help her aunt borrow some money from the bank, did the bank say they could not do anything until the "owner" of the house, which is the aunt's husband, was there to sign the documents.?

I think you wrote something wrong, how you wrote it the answer would of course be: If the aunt's husband is the owner of course only he can mortage the house and not the aunt.

Read again what you wrote and correct your question

4 years ago i walked into Bangkok Bank in Sukhumvit road with a 30 day tourist visa, deposited a thousand quid, i got a visa debit card also ATM usage, and went back to the UK so whats the problem >>?

The problem is this was 4 years ago. Outdated info i read so many times here. 

Times have changed since then. I also open my old account some years ago with passport only (bangkok bank in patong)

Today, same bank/branch where i am still holding my old savings account even not want to open fixed deposit ~300.000n for me without work permit which i not have.

You cant compare the situation some years ago to open an account with the current situation which is quite different.

• Like 1