Question for Canadians with Retirement visas

14 minutes ago, Catoni said:

I'm born and bred Canadian and worked hard all my life... paid my taxes... .paid into CPP and OAS for all those years on the promise I could collect it in my retirement years. 

Now I'm retired and collecting my OAS and CPP that I earned and is my right.

If I am out of the Canada for more than six months....  and IF THEY STOP my OAS and CPP...  then I sure as hell will continue to say "God bless Canada"... .but I will also say... "The God damned shitty Canadian Government can go to hell for breaking faith with me...  for lying to me.. and for the theft of my earnings from my years of labor." 

I've collected OAS and CPP in Thailand for 10 years - part payment after working in Canada as a "Landed Immigrant" for 6 years.

I also collect an OZ OAP here.

Someone is feeding out rubbish information.

On 3/3/2018 at 9:56 AM, gk10002000 said:

Stop your yelling. You clearly have no idea about what you are talking about.  I never said anything about not obeying Thai rules.  You don't seem to understand what the American embassy requires, or more accurately doesn't require.  People could be lying out their <deleted>. The American embassy only basically notarizes that the American says he has the income.    The Thais do NOT want the American government to do anything, nor do they require them to do anything.  No American to my knowledge has ever had to show any proof.  I wouldn't mind if they did since I have proof.  But your ranting is going in the wrong direction

The need to yell only shows that you are not sure of which you speak.......

Edited by PhonThong

My understanding is that CPP payments will continue until the day you die (but you can voluntarily choose to defer it temporarily), it doesn't matter where you live. CPP can be paid directly into a foreign bank account.

OAS is substantially different than CPP. Here are the rules for it stopping:

Can my pension ever stop?

Yes. Your pension will stop if:

• you are out of the country for more than six months and you did not reside in Canada for at least 20 years after you turned 18;
  • you make a request to stop your pension;
  • you are incarcerated in a federal penitentiary for a sentence of two years or longer; or
  • you die (it is important that someone notify us about your death to avoid overpayment).

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/publicpensions/cpp/old-age-security/while-receiving.html

You can voluntarily choose to defer OAS, and the payment will increase the longer the start date is delayed by 0.6% per month. See here:

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/publicpensions/cpp/old-age-security/eligibility.html

OAS can only be paid into US or Canadian bank account.

Edited by Banana7
  • Like 1

On 2018-03-06 at 4:29 AM, Banana7 said:

My understanding is that CPP payments will continue until the day you die (but you can voluntarily choose to defer it temporarily), it doesn't matter where you live. CPP can be paid directly into a foreign bank account.

OAS is substantially different than CPP. Here are the rules for it stopping:

Can my pension ever stop?

Yes. Your pension will stop if:

• you are out of the country for more than six months and you did not reside in Canada for at least 20 years after you turned 18;
  • you make a request to stop your pension;
  • you are incarcerated in a federal penitentiary for a sentence of two years or longer; or
  • you die (it is important that someone notify us about your death to avoid overpayment).

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/publicpensions/cpp/old-age-security/while-receiving.html

You can voluntarily choose to defer OAS, and the payment will increase the longer the start date is delayed by 0.6% per month. See here:

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/publicpensions/cpp/old-age-security/eligibility.html

OAS can only be paid into US or Canadian bank account.

Okay.... then there should be no problem.  I continued to reside in Canada (except for short couple of weeks trips to Florida, U.S.A. every winter)  for much longer than 20 years after I turned 18.

Never been in a penitentiary for two years or longer in any country. (never been in a pen...period) 

I'm not dead yet.... although I'm sure I will be at some time in the future. 

So if I am in Asia for more than six months, they should just continue to deposit to my bank account, as my employment retirement pension is also,  and I can just continue to withdraw as I need, as I do when I am in Thailand and Cambodia for two or four months at a time these past few years.

I needed to be sure.... because I'm sure that this year when I return to Asia, it will be a much longer stay than my two months and four months stays before.

Thank you... 

There is one more important requirement for pensions, that is rarely mentioned. After the pension comes into pay, the administrator will periodically want to confirm that you are still alive, they don't want to pay a dead  man.

One Canadian, who lived here in Thailand, had his pension stopped because the administrator was unable to confirm he was alive. He didn't check his bank account balance and transactions frequently, just did withdrawals through an ATM or returned from Canada with cash once a year. Eventually he got all of the missed payments, but ended up paying extra income taxes. The arrears were paid in a lump sum in January for about 6 payments from the prior year, so the income shifted from one year to the next. So for the current year, his income qualified him for a higher tax rate.

Edited by Banana7

6 hours ago, Banana7 said:

There is one more important requirement for pensions, that is rarely mentioned. After the pension comes into pay, the administrator will periodically want to confirm that you are still alive, they don't want to pay a dead  man.

One Canadian, who lived here in Thailand, had his pension stopped because the administrator was unable to confirm he was alive. He didn't check his bank account balance and transactions frequently, just did withdrawals through an ATM or returned from Canada with cash once a year. Eventually he got all of the missed payments, but ended up paying extra income taxes. The arrears were paid in a lump sum in January for about 6 payments from the prior year, so the income shifted from one year to the next. So for the current year, his income qualified him for a higher tax rate.

Hmmm.

I regularly get something from Service Canada requiring a reply.

I have a mate looking for the recycled brown paper envelopes.

7 hours ago, Banana7 said:

I imagine you could give Service Canada previous notice.....make arrangements to call them once in a while, or give them notice on your own Service Canada profile account now and again.    Surely there is a way to do this.  Lots of Canadian retired expats living in other countries all over the world collecting both CPP and OAS.

10 hours ago, Catoni said:

I imagine you could give Service Canada previous notice.....make arrangements to call them once in a while, or give them notice on your own Service Canada profile account now and again.    Surely there is a way to do this.  Lots of Canadian retired expats living in other countries all over the world collecting both CPP and OAS.

The pension that was stopped, referred to in my post, was not CPP or OAS, it was from OMERS ( Ontario Municipal Employees Retirement System ).

• 3 months later...

I have lived in TH for 8 years. There is no prohibition for paying either OAS or CPP to a non-resident of Canada. However you can not receive the Guaranteed Supplement if you reside out of Canada for more than 6 months. OAS and CPP Payments can only be direct deposited in to a Canadian or US bank account but a check will be mailed if, for example, you live in TH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk