Happy happy, sad sad

NewGuy

A bit of a food up-to-date but maybe my points have been posted about already.

Happy 1. Huy Fong, Irwindale, Sriracha HOT chilli sauce, the real thing, is available in the basement of Pattaya's Central Tops. No more rationing for me.

Happy 2. The Soi 13/3 Grandmother's place does an okay triangle leaf wrapped dense brown rice thingie with a bit of pork belly inside (not like some, that have egg, peanuts, chicken, etc) @ 50 baht each. Take away three and two people will have a great breakfast (after micro heating) - Chinese tea adds to the pleasure.

The other food is iffy (was told an English version of the menu was being printed in China); the 200 baht duck can be worth it, the mapo is whimpy with tofu from the rolled packs - boys, just go to the market and get some with texture; tried my best 'mala' pronunciation, got confirmation - still bland, fried rice good. Friendly, even when the staff can't speak English - 2 times they were fluent.  I'll try a meal there again in a couple of weeks.

Sad 1. The Thai manufactured tins of Thai clams (and juice) have vanished from Friendship, replaced by small to large tins of escargots. In the late 60's I'd cheer up my uni student menu with those clams and red sauce spaghetti. Since I've been here I must have made over 250 pots of red or white sauce clam spaghetti - the juice turns it into comfort food, and so easy too. I'm hurting.

Sad 2.  Only instant lasagna is available in Pattaya - thin stuff (checked ALL markets, I think). Even some Phnom Penh restos have 'easy to cook' lasagna; didn't order it.

Archived