Anyone ever work in Kuwait ?

Thought I would throw this out in the Pub fourm.  Any of guys ever live or work in Kuwait ? Have an offer to work there, on a base. Wondering what the lifestyle is like. In Afghanistan now, at least working in Kuwait would allow more freedom to travel back home to Koh Chang.  Of course the money would not be the same, just wondering if the drop in pay would be worth the lifestyle change. 

Life is too short and I couldn't think of anything worse than living in the Middle East.

A mate from work is off to Saudi Arabia in August. Huge money (over double what he earns here) with very little expenses, but I just couldn't do it. 

6 hours ago, BobbyL said:

Life is too short and I couldn't think of anything worse than living in the Middle East.

A mate from work is off to Saudi Arabia in August. Huge money (over double what he earns here) with very little expenses, but I just couldn't do it. 

Saudi was OK except for the mutawa. However I worked for a hospital with an excellent social club. Would have been hell without.

I survived by having lots of holidays out of the country.

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Saudi was OK except for the mutawa. However I worked for a hospital with an excellent social club. Would have been hell without.

I survived by having lots of holidays out of the country.

I worked in Riyadh from1977 to 1983 as a dependant teenager through to a young adult.

Best years of my life.

43 minutes ago, Paul Catton said:

I worked in Riyadh from1977 to 1983 as a dependant teenager through to a young adult.

Best years of my life.

I would guess you lived in the compound of a large company.

Those company compounds are totally differnt worlds to the real Saudi that some have to work and live in.

I'm in Dubai and no issues on social life. Loads of Brits like coming for holidays here now, it's the new Costa Brava lol 

Bit glitzy for my liking but the commute is way better than the UK for me plus nearer TH.

Not much culture for expats though.

Thinking about moving on somewhere else next year, perhaps Myanmar - anybody ever worked there?

7 hours ago, Daffy D said:

Those company compounds are totally differnt worlds to the real Saudi that some have to work and live in.

No, we lived in a villa in the city with Saudi families being neighbours.

Did spend a lot of time going to different company compounds to visit friends though.

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 5:31 PM, Paul Catton said:

Best years of my life.

You were there in the good old days before Bush had his war and stuffed it.

Hospital staff often talked about how great it was then, After the war the rulers let the mutawa do whatever they like and it became awful. Some said it was a reward for letting infidel women ( US female soldiers ) drive around disrespecting the culture during the war while loads of US troops were stationed in Saudi. Hospital staff were segregated by sex after the war.

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 6:16 PM, Daffy D said:

As it was for me. Even in the 5* hotels the mutawa would try and catch unmarried men and women together.

I don't know anyone that didn't hate them.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You were there in the good old days before Bush had his war and stuffed it.

Hospital staff often talked about how great it was then, After the war the rulers let the mutawa do whatever they like and it became awful. Some said it was a reward for letting infidel women ( US female soldiers ) drive around disrespecting the culture during the war while loads of US troops were stationed in Saudi. Hospital staff were segregated by sex after the war.

Correct, I left in January of 1983.

My mother and father,m my 2 brothers being elder and youngest sister remained. 

Archived