Stolen British passport

40 minutes ago, rockingrobin said:

No ,it is clearly spelt out in the T and C

It is good for 1 journey as specified in the documents observance page, with the possibility of 5 transit countries. On reaching the destination it is no longer useable.

You could well be right. It's a long time since I stood on an on-entry passport control, and so I'm not familiar with current documents and procedures. But the only emergency UK travel document that I ever remember seeing was a single sheet affair, and Immigration Officers were instructed to impound them on arrival, and they were sent off somewhere.

51 minutes ago, Eff1n2ret said:

But the only emergency UK travel document that I ever remember seeing was a single sheet affair, and Immigration Officers were instructed to impound them on arrival, and they were sent off somewhere.

They look similar to a regular passport now and are valid for a year. The are only taken away if you arrive in the UK with one.

22 minutes ago, rockingrobin said:

It can only be used once to travel to your destination

It says this which is enough for the OP. He can use it for a trip to the consulate in Laos and get a visa and return to here. Even a single entry non-o visa would allow him a total stay of almost 5 months by getting a 60 day extension of the 90 day entry from it.

You can use an emergency travel document to travel to your destination through a maximum of 5 countries. You can also normally use it to return to where you are now if you live in the country you’re applying from.

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It says this which is enough for the OP. He can use it for a trip to the consulate in Laos and get a visa and return to here. Even a single entry non-o visa would allow him a total stay of almost 5 months by getting a 60 day extension of the 90 day entry from it.

The issue I am trying to reconcile , is how can the UK issue a travel document to a British national , which terminates in a country that the UK cannot guarantee their right of residence

7 minutes ago, rockingrobin said:

The issue I am trying to reconcile , is how can the UK issue a travel document to a British national , which terminates in a country that the UK cannot guarantee their right of residence

The info only states return to where you live. That does not mean residence.

Having a proof of a address here will be enough for the embassy. As I wrote before others have done it.

7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The info only states return to where you live. That does not mean residence.

Having a proof of a address here will be enough for the embassy. As I wrote before others have done it.

The application process requires proof of residency.

The passport application requires proof of residential address

Under Thai immigration law ,the OP  does not have residency , but temporary permission of stay

8 hours ago, rockingrobin said:

The application process requires proof of residency.

The passport application requires proof of residential address

Under Thai immigration law ,the OP  does not have residency , but temporary permission of stay

This is UK terminology, not Thai terminology. You need similar proof of your address to that required when applying for a regular UK passport. Temporary residence, with a suitable proof of your current address (such as a phone bill) is acceptable. The embassy is careful to block fraudulent acquisitions of emergency passports, but are not deliberately obstructive when you have a legitimate need for one.