How do I stop .th websites opening when looking at a .com site

nutterz64

Does anyone know of any fixes/setting adjustments I need to make in IE to stop .co.th sites appearing when I type in a .com address?  It is becoming increasingly frustrating.  All of a sudden even PayPal is coming up all in Thai and no option to change to English.  I have also found this with certain other sites. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nutterz64 said:

any fixes/setting adjustments I need to make in IE to stop .co.th sites appearing when I type in a .com address?

Likely occurring because...

Your Domain Name System (DNS) service is doing an automatic forward.  Try using another more friendly, open DNS provider.  Google DNS is 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

The website is managed by a Content Delivery Network (CDN) distributed server network and redirecting you to the most local service. Not much you can do here, other than use a VPN to force your location to another country. Though, some services will pick up user language preferences once you log in.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 2008bangkok said:

For me even if i go to www.google.co.uk it comes up in thai!!!!

Google only recently changed how this worked.

Shame, as I like the previous way much better as I didn't have to invoke a VPN to force results. 

Google no longer lets you change domains to search different countries  google.whatever
TheVerge  |  By Jacob Kastrenakes@jake_k  |  Oct 27, 2017, 5:25pm EDT

• Like 1

On the Thailand Paypal site, go all the way to the bottom of the front page. In the center is a Thai glag, and just to the left of that is the word “English.” Click on that to make life easier. Google DNS as stated above is helpful, but a VPN obviates the neec to change those settings.

• Thanks 1

Not sure but if you don't use a browser site that is or is tied to Google in anyway may be this could help.

However I have tried this when looking for certain TV programs using a non-Google browser and, if the link has any Google connection it does try to push Thai language sites to open up, even when using a VPN.

The joys of geolocation. Very little pisses me off more than sites which refuse to use the localisation on my laptop, and assume my world revolves around the 4 square feet that my IP address resolves me to!

Edited by korkenzieher
simple edit
  • Haha 1

It's your Thai IP-address that informs other sites, that your prefer Thai. Using a VPN (Virtual Private Network) you can choose another location. An Opera-browser has a (limited) build-in VPN-feature, where you can choose "Europe" or "America". Changing some default settings in your browser may also help limiting the problem, but not solving it completely.

2 hours ago, Speedo1968 said:

Not sure but if you don't use a browser site that is or is tied to Google in anyway may be this could help.

However I have tried this when looking for certain TV programs using a non-Google browser and, if the link has any Google connection it does try to push Thai language sites to open up, even when using a VPN.

This should only occur if you already have browser cookies stored for the site, or if your VPN is 'leaking' your ISP connection information.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This really sucks, the Thai government censor's all kinds of crazy things like me trying to log on to my mortgage company in the U.S. and many other things, site not available? Absolutely crazy. Called my mortgage company they said there is nothing wrong with our site. 

Tried tor browser, and wouldn't you know it ok? 

You can watch  girl bar nudies sites but you cant log on to sites?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks very much all.  I have been considering a VPN for a while so maybe time to get of my arse and just do it. 

After writing this post I tried using Chrome and found less issues with that than IE.... lol. yes I am a habitual IE user but time for a change.  Funny thing is when I did login to paypal this morning to follow noahvail's advice (post #6) it opened in English even though I was using IE.   Anyway there is a lot of good advice here so I will be following most of it today and see if I can resolve it once and for all. 

Cheers all.

10 hours ago, JSixpack said:

thank you JSixpack.  Great detailed reply.  Have implemented NCR into chrome and followed your other instructions.  So far so good.  :smile: