Big Change in Penang

1 hour ago, Wang Lalker said:

i figure the penang hotels arent paying enough tea money to the thai mbassy

You just must be joking!? Why would the hotels pay the embassies tea money. Seems like people on this forum is obsessed with that word. Doesn´t it sound and look very trendy, right?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JackThompson said:

those on Tourist Visas must exert a lot more effort + funds to stay. 

So why stay in Thailand? Why don't they become a world traveler and experience the World till they become 50 and then can retire in Thailand.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

So why stay in Thailand? Why don't they become a world traveler and experience the World till they become 50 and then can retire in Thailand.

We do, in the last two years , I have been to Maesai, Myanmar , four times , Vientiane , Laos five times, Savanakhet twice and Penang once .

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, sanemax said:

We do, in the last two years , I have been to Maesai, Myanmar , four times , Vientiane , Laos five times, Savanakhet twice and Penang once .

Wow, did not know the world is so small and centers around Thailand. It looks all for visa runs only  :)

Edited by onera1961

12 hours ago, HooHaa said:
On 3/6/2018 at 2:26 AM, BritTim said:

I have always considered ticket rental services to be a kind of fraud. However, they become very tempting when you need a ticket to home country in order to apply for a tourist visa. I wonder if Kuala Lumpur and Kota Bharu are going to implement similar conditions.

its not exactly rocket science to photoshop an itinerary

That is true, but it is even more clearly fraud than ticket rental. Unlike ticket rental, it can also easily be exposed (if the consulate is suspicious and takes the trouble to check) by verifying the reservation shown on the itinerary with the airline. I suspect that would lead to a very nasty stamp in your passport, and very possibly other repercussions. Not likely to happen, sure, but potentially serious.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BritTim said:

That is true, but it is even more clearly fraud than ticket rental. Unlike ticket rental, it can also easily be exposed (if the consulate is suspicious and takes the trouble to check) by verifying the reservation shown on the itinerary with the airline. I suspect that would lead to a very nasty stamp in your passport, and very possibly other repercussions. Not likely to happen, sure, but potentially serious.

What do you think?!?

They were already know the trick of bogus ticket and/or bank statement even before that was  implemented : because they created it!

Just keep in mind that Georgetown, Penang, was the place to "loose" passport, traveler's cheque and/or credit card for decades with immediate replacement and funds.

Malay clerks have always been helpful especially if they are looking insignificant.

I do not know who is the consul in Penang ; but I know that Malay (Pribumi) are now running the house.

Hence trouble for nice folks like Jim (Indian roots) and Banana (Chinese - Hokkien biz).

17 hours ago, sanemax said:

Yep, similar, did New Zealand, Japan, UK twice, Penang a couple of times, Korea and Burma once each.

Just now, overherebc said:

Yep, similar, did New Zealand, Japan, UK twice, Penang a couple of times, Korea and Burma once each.

I am due in Japan in 2021 and New Zealand in 2024, if they keep up with the "only four visas per Embassy" policy 

33 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I am due in Japan in 2021 and New Zealand in 2024, if they keep up with the "only four visas per Embassy" policy 

Auckland is ok for a multi O.

Forget Japan unless you're Japanese.

Edited by overherebc

39 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

Four visa per embassy in a year or lifetime? Four visa per year should cover almost a year of stay in Thailand with one extension per visa.

There is no “four visa per embassy “ rule. Any limits are set by the individual embassies/consulates. It’s best to check with the forum on local limits when your near to doing a visa run.

Usually they will go by a physical count of the visas in your passport.

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

I am due in Japan in 2021

You will I’ll only be able to apply for Thai Tourist Visa if you are resident in Japan, or have certain types of visa/permission to stay. The info is on their website.

28 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Forget Japan unless you're Japanese.

That’s not necessarily true. 

7 minutes ago, elviajero said:

You will I’ll only be able to apply for Thai Tourist Visa if you are resident in Japan, or have certain types of visa/permission to stay. The info is on their website.

That’s not necessarily true. 

For someone who is staying in Thailand on a series of tourist visas, visa exempts etc or lives/works long term on multi O's it's true.

44 minutes ago, overherebc said:

For someone who is staying in Thailand on a series of tourist visas, visa exempts etc or lives/works long term on multi O's it's true.

Sorry, but that is also not true if the someone is Japanese, or also has a qualifying visa/permit/residency for Japan. It is the immigration status in Japan that counts. 

16 minutes ago, elviajero said:

Sorry, but that is also not true if the someone is Japanese, or also has a qualifying visa/permit/residency for Japan. It is the immigration status in Japan that counts. 

OK , I give in.

If you are Japanese like 99.9% of Thaivisa readers and posters then Japan is probably the best place to get whatever visa you fancy. Or if you are married to a Japanese person and have all the required documentation required then fill your boots and get all the visas you want.

However if you are in the .1% of Thaivisa readers/posters who are not Japanese or don't have all the required documentation then forget Japan.

4 minutes ago, overherebc said:

OK , I give in.

If you are Japanese like 99.9% of Thaivisa readers and posters then Japan is probably the best place to get whatever visa you fancy. Or if you are married to a Japanese person and have all the required documentation required then fill your boots and get all the visas you want.

However if you are in the .1% of Thaivisa readers/posters who are not Japanese or don't have all the required documentation then forget Japan.

I am planning on coming back to Thailand on a visa exempt stamp anyway

2 hours ago, elviajero said:

Usually they will go by a physical count of the visas in your passport.

Does the physical count also includes visa obtained in home country? Do I risk entry if I get TV back to back in home country?

5 hours ago, onera1961 said:

Does the physical count also includes visa obtained in home country? Do I risk entry if I get TV back to back in home country?

Depends on where you apply, but most embassies/consulates are only interested in visas issued by themselves.

There’s no reason why you would be denied entry with back to back visas from your home country.

12 hours ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

Wrong. Millions of foreigners resident there they get a foreign registration card, then the Thai embassy will deal with you. Otherwise “no can do”.

Around 2,000,000 expats at the moment although 75% ish are from neighbouring asian countries.

So 250,000 from all other countries.

Still doesn't help full time expats on TV who stay long term in Thailand though, does it.

Have you actually tried living this lifestyle yourself, moving to a whole different country every 2 or 3 months? If not, then I assure you it’s pretty tiring and not for everyone.
  • Like 1

On 4/4/2018 at 11:32 PM, onera1961 said:

I get really bored with these questions, there are lots of reasons people would like to stay in Thailand on Tourist visa's that don't include working illegally here.

Personally I stay here for longer periods because:

1. I own a condo here - I don't own any other property in anywhere else in the world except here and my investment properties in home country

2. I speak the language (not perfectly but enough to hold conversations and say what I want to say), I don't speak any other languages except for Thai and English

3. Because of the above I have made several good Thai friends, that hold similar interests and have similar hobbies to my own

4. And I like it here

5. I hate the cold dark winters in my home country.

I am in a financial position where I am financially independent younger than the official Thai retirement age, with an income from overseas of around 100,000 baht per month I can prove to any Embassy or consulate official or immigration official should they want to see it. I begrudge those who assume because I am under 50 years old and enjoy spending more time in Thailand on a tourist visas than the average tourist assume I am doing something illegal here.

I did not buy an 'Elite visa' not because I cannot afford one but because I did not get to be financially independent at the age I am by spending a big chunks of money on something that doesn't offer great value to me.

Also I enjoy visiting other places in Asia every few months anyway. In 3 years of living like this I have only done one budget boarder hop at Poipet, and I have never overstayed in Thailand, not even for 1 day or 1 hour. When I have to exit Thailand it is normally for a few days or a week to enjoy a city break in another Asian country. (plus once a year for a longer trip to my home country)

I enjoyed Penang in the past and am sad it is no longer a good place to get a SETV, but HK or Vientiane will get my money for my next SETV combined with a city sight seeing/shopping trip to take me to the Summer time where I will get a MTEV in my home country. (I more than meet the financial and other requirements to get an METV there)

I work a month or so every year back in my home country to help over see my brother's business while he is on his own summer holidays and that along with my investment and rental income from my home country affords me a very nice life in Thailand.

I do not work in any way shape or form while I am here.

The dictionary definition of tourist is:

tourist.JPG.3b3c4d89b38d938ddbde0fa75a394039.JPG

And I am here because it pleases me to live here and I am interested in living here, so I do not feel I am cheating the system or breaking any law being here on tourist visa's longer term because this sums up my life here exactly.

I have visited many countries in the world already, including North and South America, most of Europe, north Africa and many other Asian countries and I enjoy having Thailand as my base for most of the time.

If Thai immigration wanted to make people stay less time on Tourist visa's,  they would not have introduced the METV within the last couple of years IMO, so not sure why the farang 'bar stall immigration officials' have a problem with it.

I also enjoy touring around different places in Thailand in my own fully legally owned, taxed and insured car (driving on my fully legally obtained Thai driving license) often.

Not sure why people come to these threads and judge other peoples lifestyles by their own standards and opinions or timescales of what they consider to be the correct length of time to get pleasure and be interested in visiting Thailand, because I am not judging them as long as they are not working illegally or doing anything illegal or disrespectful to Thailand or Thai people.

Anyway sorry to go off topic and I hope the thread can get back on topic about the changes at the Thai consulate in Penang again.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jay1980 said:

If Thai immigration wanted to make people stay less time on Tourist visa's,  they would not have introduced the METV within the last couple of years IMO, so not sure why the farang 'bar stall immigration officials' have a problem with it.

The Thai authorities didn't introduce the METV to make it easier for long term tourists to stay in Thailand, but to make it easier for visitors (especially the Asian market) to visit frequently. Every change they have made to visa exempt entry and tourist visas since 2006 has made it harder for someone to live in the country as a 'tourist'. You are not breaking any laws by living in the country as a 'tourist', but the message from Thai authorities is clear. They want short term tourists, and the only long term options to stay are for non-tourists.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, elviajero said:

The Thai authorities didn't introduce the METV to make it easier for long term tourists to stay in Thailand, but to make it easier for visitors (especially the Asian market) to visit frequently. Every change they have made to visa exempt entry and tourist visas since 2006 has made it harder for someone to live in the country as a 'tourist'. You are not breaking any laws by living in the country as a 'tourist', but the message from Thai authorities is clear. They want short term tourists, and the only long term options to stay are for non-tourists.

then why do they issue METV's in non Asian countries to non Asians?

why can you buy a car/motorbike and get a driving license etc on a tourist visa?

why can you buy a condo (in the farang allocation) on a tourist visa or a visa exempt?

anyway I am not going to get into an argument on 'what thai authorities want' because pretty sure no members of Thai visa who post here are in the Thai government or have any idea above their own speculation what 'Thai authorities want'

Personally if I cannot stay here as a tourist I will get an ED visa, and yes I would attend the classes, and improve my reading and writing, but for now I like being a tourist and having the freedom to tour different places in Thailand in my own pace

• Like 1

Has this flight back home requirement been confirmed by anyone else?  Seems excessive.  I apologize if this has been answered already.  I tried skimming the whole thread.

Is it only if you use an agent?   Perhaps not required if you apply in person.

Edited by asdfrules