Thaksin refuses to participate in telecoms case under new law

webfact

Copies of the arrest warrant and the indictment had been posted at Thaksin’s house in the Charoen Sanitwong area of Bangkok, notifying him of the start of the trial

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30340338

The indictment and following trial were instantly flawed by the notification.

It's common knowledge with government authorities and I'm sure with Prayut himself that Thaskin does not live in Thailand and hasn't since 2008. It's the reason why he's being tried in absentia.

Was this a reasonable attempt to notify Thaksin? No.

But if he's already judged guilty, who needs to pay attention to technicalities?

57 minutes ago, robblok said:

That is different from what you posted.. you said it was commercial.. its not. Then you backtrack. No problem just be honest about it.

We were not talking about retroactive.. it was about this law and other countries.. I guess you need to backtrack as i caught you out. 

But your right retroactive is almost never done. 

No. I responded to your failed attempt to support the false statement;

Many countries have the same procedures in place in the so called west. Thailand just copied this kind of law

It is indeed a commercial based action addressed under the  criminal code. That's how fraud cases are prosecuted. This does not change it from being an allegation of commercial crime. Even if you wish to  use the term penal or criminal  I again  state that the use of In Absentia prosecution for this type of case is a no go. The accused, did not flee during the court proceedings, because the case had not even been brought. As  per the topic, this is a  prosecution using a retroactive law of an alleged commercial crime. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ezzra said:

Did anyone head any doubts that he will not agree? one thing is for sure, his hopes than one day,

a sympathetic PM will be in place to wipe clean his past, is getting to be, as time passes,

nothing but pipe dreams and that forever he will be banished for his beloved motherland....

Couldn't happen to a more deserving person ...banished forever ?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, robblok said:

Yes I think he could be found not guilty.. if he was not guilty. But I don't think he was not guilty. 

Should have stopped after " I don't think" and we would all agree with you !

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Reigntax said:

Should have stopped after " I don't think" and we would all agree with you !

So, Mr. Deep Thinker, please explain for each of the several cases that have been revamped, why you believe he's not guilty.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

Copies of the arrest warrant and the indictment had been posted at Thaksin’s house in the Charoen Sanitwong area of Bangkok, notifying him of the start of the trial

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30340338

The indictment and following trial were instantly flawed by the notification.

It's common knowledge with government authorities and I'm sure with Prayut himself that Thaskin does not live in Thailand and hasn't since 2008. It's the reason why he's being tried in absentia.

Was this a reasonable attempt to notify Thaksin? No.

But if he's already judged guilty, who needs to pay attention to technicalities?

And did Thaksin honor his bail oath? 

Yes, it's unfortunate when the justice system is less than pristine and somewhat selective. But be honest, he's not exactly the most innocent, now is he?

I do believe many countries publish legal notices in newspapers. And if you don't see, don't read or ignore them, then hard luck.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sawadee1947 said:

I wish he could be a senior adviser of any Thai government......To have a better performance than Prayut it not difficult.

He was more than an adviser to PTP. Now please tell us all their wonderful achievements?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Baerboxer said:

He was more than an adviser to PTP. Now please tell us all their wonderful achievements?

Thaksin's government fought poverty, especially in rural areas, introduced universal access to health care and invested in infrastructure.  Thaksin declared a "war on drugs" in which over 2,500 people died, and violated the Muslim uprising in the southern provinces. Thaksin was the first democratically elected Prime Minister to serve a full four-year term, also there have been many plans for improving infrastructure (train connection to China) and fighting flooding in Bangkok

13 minutes ago, seajae said:

you mean you really believe that crap, thaksin feathered his own nest, he did sweet fa for thais apart from the health care, all the rest was to help him get richer, the drug war  killed over 2000 people that were never convicted, it was wholesale murder, he did as little as possible for the people apart from sucking them in with false promises, he ran because he knew he was guilty of the crimes and did not want to face the courts but now his hopes of sitting the crimes out are gone so he is pissed and refusing to play ball, didums, one big giant dummy spit from the cretin

I like your jokes....

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Artisi said:

agreed , guess declaring war on drugs and then accepting that many were summarily executed is quite an achievement as was the murder of the young Muslim guys stacked into the back of a truck and left to suffocate, well done wasn't it and really deserves high praise. But of course to some people Thaksin walks on water and could never do any wrong.

compare him with other PMs. Then you will see that he achieved the best times for Thailand so far

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Artisi said:

agreed , guess declaring war on drugs and then accepting that many were summarily executed is quite an achievement as was the murder of the young Muslim guys stacked into the back of a truck and left to suffocate, well done wasn't it and really deserves high praise. But of course to some people Thaksin walks on water and could never do any wrong.

I guess he had to do something about the serious drug menace which was relay to him by the King. But I do agree that the General should be held accountable for the Tak Bai massacre. Somehow the inquest found the soldiers not guilty. That's travesty. Military always protect their own.  

• Like 1

The Junta are, in my opinion, trying to find scape goats to justify their own wrong doing, and possibly hide the truth from the public?

For what I can gather, he is liked by a majority of Thais. He may have done wrong, but he did not inflict the same unjust methods against his own people, as are the present illigal force of power.

Aren't governments supposed to be elected representatives of a nation by a nation? To better a nations quality of life and partake in a world wide proactive manner to better life for all  mankind?

Sorry, I was dreaming. I forgot about the reality of life. The illusion and BS.

10 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

I thought almost everywhere in the world people can be tried in absentia.

In 1993, the Supreme Court revisited Rule 43 in the case of Crosby v. United States.[28] The Court unanimously held, in an opinion written by Justice Harry Blackmun, that Rule 43 does not permit the trial in absentia of a defendant who is absent at the beginning of trial.

Trials in absentia are banned in some member states of the EU and permitted in others

1 hour ago, tryasimight said:

I don't think Thaksin was complaining when little sister wanted to pass the amnesty bill that would have been applied retrospectively to past sins. 

Yay, best post of the year!!!

And let's be clear, it was very likely a plan / strategy built by the very same man, with absolutely no respect whatever for the laws (let alone morals) involved. 

Edited by scorecard

6 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Why would he when he legged it and has always been to scared to come back because of the very serious cases waiting for him, in addition to the 2 year jail sentence?

He'll only come back if he can wangle a whitewash and guarantee of being untouchable. And he saw how large sections of the public reacted to that last time.

Does anyone really believe he's actually innocent?

Anyone?

Yes, el.

7 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Why would he when he legged it and has always been to scared to come back because of the very serious cases waiting for him, in addition to the 2 year jail sentence?

He'll only come back if he can wangle a whitewash and guarantee of being untouchable. And he saw how large sections of the public reacted to that last time.

Does anyone really believe he's actually innocent?

Anyone?

Yes ......

9 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Please share why you think he's innocent.

''You have to credit him,'' said Supavud Saicheua, an economist at Merrill Lynch in Bangkok. ''He's willing to take risks and I think his bet is paying off.''

But Thaksinomics has little room for free-market theories, economists say. Had Mr. Bush been in Bangkok on Aug. 1, he could have seen Mr. Thaksin go on national television to declare Thailand's independence from the International Monetary Fund and its free-market gospel after Thailand made the last payment on the $3.4 billion the fund lent it during the Asian financial crisis of 1997 and 1998.

''Today we paid off the last batch of I.M.F. loans, lifting the commitment to the I.M.F. from our shoulders,'' Mr. Thaksin told the nation. Mr. Thaksin's office did not respond to requests for an interview.

8 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Can't wait for the reply...

Do we need to define "innocent" ??............

''You have to credit him,'' said Supavud Saicheua, an economist at Merrill Lynch in Bangkok. ''He's willing to take risks and I think his bet is paying off.''

Continue reading the main story

But Thaksinomics has little room for free-market theories, economists say. Had Mr. Bush been in Bangkok on Aug. 1, he could have seen Mr. Thaksin go on national television to declare Thailand's independence from the International Monetary Fund and its free-market gospel after Thailand made the last payment on the $3.4 billion the fund lent it during the Asian financial crisis of 1997 and 1998.

''Today we paid off the last batch of I.M.F. loans, lifting the commitment to the I.M.F. from our shoulders,'' Mr. Thaksin told the nation. Mr. Thaksin's office did not respond to requests for an interview.

Trouble is 'justice' has a rather different definition here than most of us understand.
Honestly for anyone guilty or innocent that's almost irrelevant to the Thai justice system, it's more geared to retribution from the faction du jour, upon the previous faction, so what in God's name would ever persuade you to return to face 'justice'

That being said, for a lot of the zealots who love to pile the sins of the world upon Thaksin. Yeah he's as guilty as Hell, along with Suthep, and you could run of of whole long list of the crooks from the elite who have lined their pockets from the various machinations of the ruling class.

Of course for us in the West we make ourselves feel better by calling it white collar crime.

Like to see a few of the bankers and hedge fund guys that stole billions from all us referred to as 'fugitives', a word frankly that I've only ever associated with mass murders and mafia guys.

But Hell, this is Thailand, roll your eyes and wait for the next turn of the never ending circle

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Can't wait for the reply...

Do we need to define "innocent" ??............

But with Thailand's foreign debts dwindling and money from exports and investors pouring in, the battle to keep the baht from rising is getting more difficult, economists say. The central bank has bought so many dollars, they say, that Thailand's foreign reserves have swollen to nearly $40 billion.

With the baht thus pinned down, foreign investors have been pouring money into Thai stocks, to the consternation of Mr. Thaksin and other officials who condemn the influx of what they call hot money. In the first eight months of this year, foreigners pumped more than $400 million into Bangkok's stock market.

1 minute ago, janclaes47 said:

For which we used a loan from Singapore.

He paid off the IMF .... any countries leader who does this is a target ........ 
Every country needs to be in debt to the World Bank or the IMF  ..... or they don't like you .... 
Where did read about borrowing money from Singapore ? .... or did somebody tell you ?