Getting a Tourist Visa in Vietnam Advice

Hello, I am going to Thailand for 4 Months. I will obtain a tourist visa at home for the first 60 days then I want to go to Vietnam for a week and whilst there obtain a new tourist visa. Where is it the easiest and fastest? Hanoi or Ho Chi Min City? How long does it take? I don't want to run out of time while I am there. What would you suggest? 

I checked the pinned threads but they have not been updated for a year or two and I have no idea about Vietnam. Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

HCMC is next day, check embassy website for documents required they adhere to the documents requirements strictly.
They do however allow flight out to but up to the 90days possible in a tourist visa.
Also HCMC actually reply to information request emails.

Sent from my Honor 7x using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, I have a similar inquiry. I'm presently in Da Lat, Vietnam, lovely and cool up in the scenic mountains. (VietJet Air recently started direct flights from Bangkok.) I'm wondering whether Hanoi or HCMC is easier to deal with. Looking at their websites, it seems Hanoi is not so demanding or strict.

http://www.thaiembassy.org/hochiminh/en/services/7442/80804-For-Non-Vietnamese-passport-holder-|-Dành-cho-ngườ.html 

http://www.thaiembassy.org/hanoi/th/services/1761/25691-Tourist-Visa.html (assuming this applies to non-Vietnamese passport holders too)

Anyone have any recent experiences with Hanoi?

Hanoi seems easier. They want half the amount of stay in Thailand showing hotel bookings in HCMC? That's ridiculous, I move around and pay as I go. I could never really supply that.

Anyone have any tips or further information regarding obtaining a tourist visa in Vietnam? Thanks.

15 hours ago, a1falang said:

Yes, I have a similar inquiry. I'm presently in Da Lat, Vietnam, lovely and cool up in the scenic mountains. (VietJet Air recently started direct flights from Bangkok.) I'm wondering whether Hanoi or HCMC is easier to deal with. Looking at their websites, it seems Hanoi is not so demanding or strict.

http://www.thaiembassy.org/hochiminh/en/services/7442/80804-For-Non-Vietnamese-passport-holder-|-Dành-cho-ngườ.html 

http://www.thaiembassy.org/hanoi/th/services/1761/25691-Tourist-Visa.html (assuming this applies to non-Vietnamese passport holders too)

I believe the policies in Hanoi on tourist visas exactly match those in Ho Chi Minh City. I applied at both in 2016, and found both good places to apply. You need either flight in and out of Thailand, or financial proof in the form of bank statements (recent ATM slip plus older bank statement proving the account was mine seemed acceptable).

• Thanks 1

HCMC is great. I have secured visas here around 4-5 times. Drop off documents and passport in the morning and pick up next day. They will give you a time when you lodge the documents. Read the advice on the website and follow without exception. USD$40 is the fee. Take the right money. Make it simple and everything will go smoothly. Turn up without any of the documents required and they will not accept your application. You can walk to the Consular General's Office from Ben Thanh Market. Return taxi fare including waiting around USD$3.00. Single entry is simple. Multiple Entry requires a lot more documents. Once again, read the website.

For 4 months you don't need any visa

Just fly to Thailand, you get a 30 day visa exempt. (book the cheapest ticket that you can find out of thailand within the first 30 days, they might want to see this at the airport when you check in)

Extend it at immigration in Thailand for another 30 days.

Leave the country to any other country, come back, you get another 30 day visa exempt (preferably a land border, if you go by air they might want to see a ticket out of Thailand)

=120 days

If you need 125 days or whatever you can either stay 5 days in whatever other country you go after 60 days

Or you could get a visa in your home country before you go, as what you planned before, then you would have a maximum of 150 days

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 2

I went to Saigon in January.Filled the internet visa then when I got to Saigon airport Had to show them the paper I did on the internet with A passport photo.Then I got the papers back and stood in the immigration line.It was easy.

1 hour ago, thrilled said:

I went to Saigon in January.Filled the internet visa then when I got to Saigon airport Had to show them the paper I did on the internet with A passport photo.Then I got the papers back and stood in the immigration line.It was easy.

I assume you're talking about getting a visa for Vietnam?

2 hours ago, jackdd said:

For 4 months you don't need any visa

Just fly to Thailand, you get a 30 day visa exempt. (book the cheapest ticket that you can find out of thailand within the first 30 days, they might want to see this at the airport when you check in)

Leave the country to any other country, come back, you get another 30 day visa exempt (preferably a land border, if you go by air they might want to see a ticket out of Thailand)

=120 days

If you need 125 days or whatever you can either stay 5 days in whatever other country you go after 60 days

Or you could get a visa in your home country before you go, as what you planned before, then you would have a maximum of 150 days

Yes I have thought about this too but a friend of mine was knocked back at Jomtien for a 30 day extension. No reason for it, just stamped. it must leave in 7 days. He had no previous extensions and was trying to do the extension on top of a tourist visa. I don't really want to be forced to do another trip out....just saying what can go wrong that's all.

5 minutes ago, bmanly said:

Yes I have thought about this too but a friend of mine was knocked back at Jomtien for a 30 day extension.

There are those from some countries that cannot get the 30 day extension. 

What is his nationality?

12 minutes ago, IFinish said:

Youtube vlogger [...] just did a video on Visas for Vietnam. Has some good info.

Nice advertisement, but this is not what this thread is about. And today people from quite a few countries get a Visa exempt when they arrive in Vietnam, thus they don't need a visa

Edited by jackdd

19 hours ago, a1falang said:

1 hour ago, bmanly said:

Yes I have thought about this too but a friend of mine was knocked back at Jomtien for a 30 day extension. No reason for it, just stamped. it must leave in 7 days. He had no previous extensions and was trying to do the extension on top of a tourist visa. I don't really want to be forced to do another trip out....just saying what can go wrong that's all.

Visa exempt 30days CANNOT  be extended at Thai Immigration.  only a 30 or 60 day Tourist visa you obtain outside Thailand can be extended after you have arrived here.

Using the vietnamvisacorp.com online is the simplest way.

Use your credit card and a visa on Arrival will be sent to you in a few days. A Fastback payment of another $50 US means no waiting in the line on arrival. Staff at the airport do it all while you take a seat for 15 minutes.

4 minutes ago, orchidfan said:

Visa exempt 30days CANNOT  be extended at Thai Immigration.  only a 30 or 60 day Tourist visa you obtain outside Thailand can be extended after you have arrived here.

You should tell this to the different immigration offices that gave me 30 day extensions on Visa exempts before, the last one just a few weeks ago.

• Like 1

Well every immigration office make up their own rules. .but I am assured by my Colonel of Police (in Immigration ) that the 30 day "visa exempt" stamp is NOT a visa and with this only in your passport you must leave Thailand .

Quite different to a proper Tourist visa (30 /60 days) obtained outside Thailand  which can be extended by 30days   

27 minutes ago, orchidfan said:

Well every immigration office make up their own rules. .but I am assured by my Colonel of Police (in Immigration ) that the 30 day "visa exempt" stamp is NOT a visa and with this only in your passport you must leave Thailand .

Quite different to a proper Tourist visa (30 /60 days) obtained outside Thailand  which can be extended by 30days   

This is nonsense. For most nationalities, as UJ says, a 30-day visa waiver can be extended for a further 30 days, for 1900 Baht.

There's sometimes as much misinformation as factual information on TV.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bmanly said:

a friend of mine was knocked back at Jomtien for a 30 day extension. No reason for it, just stamped. it must leave in 7 days

At Jomtien, the usual reason is that he left it until the last moment to apply for the extension, and could not show that a TM30 notification had been done. Other than that, it could be that, based on his nationality, no 30-day extension was possible (e.g. visa exempt based on bilateral agreement).

• Like 1

A few years back I had multiple country air ticket. One leg of flight included BKK to Vietnam. Went to check in devised I don’t have a visa so can not go on this flight to Vietnam. It was a mess sorting onward flight. 

Last time I used the link below and applied online prior to trip and 

no problems 

https://vietnamvisa.govt.vn/vietnam-visa/visa-on-arrival/

3 hours ago, orchidfan said:

3 hours ago, jackdd said:

You should tell this to the different immigration offices that gave me 30 day extensions on Visa exempts before, the last one just a few weeks ago.

3 hours ago, orchidfan said:

Sure it wasn't Colonel at KFC branch lol .

' A 60 day Tourist Visa (every entry) and, since 29.8.2014, also the 30 day visa exempt stamp, will be extended for 30 days at Thai Immigration, THB 1,900.-. However some countries, example India will get 7 day extension only. '

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, BuckBee said:

However some countries, example India will get 7 day extension only. '

For Indian nationals who enter Thailand without a visa in advance, that is reasonable. Indian nationals are not eligible for visa exempt entries, They can get a 15-day visa on arrival, but those cannot be extended. Only if someone from India has a tourist visa issued in advance can they get the 30-day extension.

38 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Only if someone from India has a tourist visa issued in advance can they get the 30-day extension.

They also cannot get a 30 day extension of a 60 day entry from a tourist visa. India is on a short list of countries that cannot get them.

From Immigration website for tourist extensions. 

In the case of individuals of Sri Lanka, India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Iran, Nepal, Togo, Nigeria and Uganda. You will receive within 7 days."

Source: https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_4

• Like 1