Getting a Tourist Visa in Vietnam Advice

21 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

There are those from some countries that cannot get the 30 day extension. 

What is his nationality?

Aussie same as me. He had 6 days he had to cover. He went to Jomtien paid the 1900 baht and when he went to pick it up the immigration officer pointed to the stamp and "said 7 days only ok". When he showed me I said you should have got 30.... In this case it was not an inconvenience to him as he was leaving away I was just highlighting that things could go wrong.

At Jomtien, the usual reason is that he left it until the last moment to apply for the extension, and could not show that a TM30 notification had been done. Other than that, it could be that, based on his nationality, no 30-day extension was possible (e.g. visa exempt based on bilateral agreement).

He had hotel rental form and flight out, he went about 5 days before it was due, no explanation was given and was on a tourist visa that was running out. (I reckon for some reason the IO saw he only needed 6 days so only gave him 7, I don't know)

Edited by bmanly

31 minutes ago, bmanly said:

Aussie same as me. He had 6 days he had to cover. He went to Jomtien paid the 1900 baht and when he went to pick it up the immigration officer pointed to the stamp and "said 7 days only ok".

And what did he write on the form to apply for the extension regarding how many days he wants to extend? Maybe he wrote 6 days there, then the IO thought so 7 is enough and gave him just 7. If your friend had written 30 there maybe the IO would have given him 30?

Two years ago I had an overstay here in BKk. I booked a flight to HCMC anb put a deposit on a hotel. When I went to check in at Air Asia Don Muang I was denied, they said Americans must apply for Vietnam visa 4 days before departure. I lost my money on the ticket (non transferable) as well as the hotel. I ended up buying a ticket for Siam Reap. I have been told thats not the case now, but suggest you check with consulate first. 

Some posters have misunderstood the OP. This thread is about obtaining a Thai tourist visa in Vietnam at either the Thai Consulate in Ho Chi Minh City or the Thai Embassy in Hanoi for returning to Thailand, not obtaining a Vietnamese tourist visa to visit Vietnam.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...