Where are all the man made global warming/ climate change supporters now?

21 hours ago, Justfine said:

Robert Mercer and his daughter, Rebekah Mercer, are best known as the secretive billionaire megadonors who bankrolled and organized President Donald Trump’s campaign, poured at least $10 million into Breitbart News, and showered millions on a network of right-wing websites and think tanks. The family has spent $36.6 million on Republican races and super PACs since 2010.

The Mercers are less well known as patrons of the climate change denial movement, yet their spending has been equally generous and appears to be increasing, according to new, previously unreleased tax filings reviewed by HuffPost.

The Mercer Family Foundation in 2016 gave $800,000 to the Heartland Institute, a right-wing think tank and major proponent of climate change denialism, up from $100,000 the previous year. Heartland received about $5.2 million in average annual income between 2011 and 2015, meaning the Mercers’ donation could make up 15 percent of the organization’s funding in 2016.

The foundation gave $200,000 for a second year in a row to the Oregon Institute of Science and Medicine, a discredited medial research group best known for spreading a hoax petition in 2009 claiming that 30,000 climatologists rejected global warming. Based on the organization’s average income for the last few years, that donation could make up anywhere from one-third to 62 percent of its budget.  

• Thanks 2

Joint Declaration on Global Warming

In 2005, the national science academies of the G8 forum (including the [U.S.] National Academy of Sciences) and science academies of Brazil, China, and India (three of the largest emitters of greenhouse gases in the developing world) signed a statement on the global response to climate change. The statement stresses that the scientific understanding of climate change had become sufficiently clear to justify nations taking prompt action.[18]

On May 7, 2010, a letter signed by 255 Academy members was published in Science magazine, decrying "political assaults" against climate change scientists.

U.S. National Academy of Sciences

The National Academy of Sciences (NAS) is a United States nonprofit, non-governmental organization. NAS is part of the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine, along with the National Academy of Engineering (NAE) and the National Academy of Medicine (NAM).

As a national academy, new members of the organization are elected annually by current members, based on their distinguished and continuing achievements in original research. Election to the National Academies is one of the highest honors in the scientific field. Members serve pro bono as "advisers to the nation" on science, engineering, and medicine. The group holds a congressional charter under Title 36 of the United States Code.

Founded in 1863 as a result of an Act of Congress that was approved by Abraham Lincoln, the NAS is charged with "providing independent, objective advice to the nation on matters related to science and technology. … to provide scientific advice to the government 'whenever called upon' by any government department. The Academy receives no compensation from the government for its services."[1]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Academy_of_Sciences#Joint_Declaration_on_Global_Warming

I am late to debate this topic but I started to deal with it in 1980. Back then I lived in a "flood prone" area that had been flooded once in its history. The local Council, on advice from the experts, said the the sea levels would be 0.3 metres higher by 2015. The last time I checked sea levels were about the same as 1980 and there had not been any flooding. Before we got to 2015 the experts raised the time to 2045. I will not be around until then but I will bet that the sea levels will not have risen to the figure projected in 1980.

• Like 1

6,000 years ago ( a blink of an eye in the earth's history) the Sahara was lush and green. Then the was a change or variation in the planet's orbit which causes changes in rainfall and created the desert. Which is why there are forest Macaques stranded in the Atlas mountains. 

The problem i see with statistics is that they are used to support a theory and sometimes done in isolation rather than done in a holistic sense. Sure the climate is changing. It probably always has been. Sun's energy gets more? Planet wobbles a bit? Core slows down?  We don't have enough data to discern exactly what is going on. We only have data for a microscopic time frame.

Sea level rises? The planets crust is very thin and can distort over time. It is still recovering from the last ice age and that was 16,000 years ago? Crust beneath the sea moves a bit and bingo the water level rises. It doesn't take much. 

Add to this one cannot get a research grant without including the phrase Climate Change and...

• Like 1