Top idea! Pedestrians should photograph motorists stopping at zebra crossings as campaign kicks off!

webfact

1 minute ago, mfd101 said:

I used to slow down & stop at zebra crossings but my b/f would always shout at me to accelerate because the vehicles behind us would smash into us ...

It’s called rear ended. I think.

• Haha 1

Zebra x-ings are just plain dangerous, put in the Pelican X-ings and hope the vehicles will stop on the red lights, but not as they did on Pattaya Beach road ; when they had all of them turned on the traffic simply stopped..Starting with the school kids how about educating them to walk briskly across the road, not dawdle, Falangs are just as bad "Head Down" on their mobile phones.

The only thing missing in missoura's photo is a beach covered in rubbish. That one shot shows nearly everything bad about the country. Walking across a road distracted  on a phone, infant child on a motorbike, no helmets on any Thai riders, Motorbike driver with virtually no control of the vehicle holding the child, Thai motorbike driver unable to signal properly. Stray dog on the road (possibly rabid), motorbike parked facing the  wrong way suggesting it was driven the wrong way up the road. Converted pick up truck to water tanker - suspension and brakes probably totally inadequate for carrying such a load. One cubic meter of water weighs 1 tonne. low hanging power cables ready for a high sided vehicle to drag down and electrocute passers by. Tourists set for a trip to hospital with excessive "road rash" due to inadequate clothing when on a motorbike. 

Any other stuff ?

• Like 2

In defence of the motorist who wishes to stop, the paint on the vast majority of crossings in Thailand is either worn off or has become a medium grey against a dark grey road. So difficult to see whilst being alert to other dangers, especially at night. Are we supposed to remember them all?  No need for million dollar systems which are then turned off as in Pattaya  - just a flashing 'belisha' beacon as in the UK would suffice.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Eligius said:

Zebra crossings in Thailand are worse than a mere waste of paint (although I agree with Markytarky that they are definitely that too): they are positively lethal for tourists and visitors to Thailand, who will likely believe that zebra crossings mean (as in civilised countries) that the pedestrian has full right of way.

How wrong such a belief is here - and it could cost an innocent visitor his life (especially from whizzing motorbikes, who are a law unto themselves) ...

Frighteningly true :sad:

• Thanks 1