Safest way to normalise high Blood Pressure 2

laislica

So the good news is that by changing my eating habits my blood pressure and pulse rate have both returned to a normal rate and I am no longer taking medication.

It appears that I have been following something called a fasting mimicking diet, I had no idea, to me it was a fresh plant based diet and lots of raw garlic.

The amazing thing is that my previous dieting to reduce the amount of fat I was carrying was ineffective.

This time the fat is going and I have lost a good inch around my waist.

It seems that we what we eat.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good stuff. Keep up with the garlic...and onions, especially red ones, and ginger. Make sure your garlic does NOT come from China. Exercise, a lot or a little..up to you. Cardio at least three times a week. Juice of a lime or lemon mixed with apple cider vinegar and baking soda and water, best taken at night on an empty stomach. Have your teeth checked using 3D x rays. I'm serious! Bangkok hospital in Phuket will do it, don't know the cost, but IT'S YOUR HEALTH. Infected teeth that one is not even aware of is a major health issue. 3D x rays can spot infections that other types of x rays can't even detect. Oh yeah, and those cute little round bottoms you oogle every day, ( and most nights ) from now on just give them an admiring glance ( or two ) and carry on yer way.

OP seems to indicate that blood pressure (BP) as well as pulse rate (PR) went down : my experience is that BP and  PR are unrelated...I can influence my BP with exercice and following diet but I cannot get my PR constantly higher than 60 (yes I have brachycardia)

2 hours ago, fvw53 said:

OP seems to indicate that blood pressure (BP) as well as pulse rate (PR) went down : my experience is that BP and  PR are unrelated...I can influence my BP with exercice and following diet but I cannot get my PR constantly higher than 60 (yes I have brachycardia)

My hart rate always ended to be high, typically 90-120

Now typically below 80 under the same conditions.

What I find interesting is that without meds, previously by BP would a difference of about 60.

so it would be say 110/170

Now the difference is more like 35

so just now I measured it as 113/79 a diff of 34

the published norm is 120/80 diff 40.

so I'm on the right track?

It makes me wonder if an organ was to blame, like kidneys clamping down and causing back pressure?

I say this because the change in my body has been rapid, just a few weeks.

Although "The truth about food" a BBC documentary showed that eating 4 cloves of raw garlic could fix ED in 6 weeks....

As always, there are too many variables to actually pinpoint the actual real cause of the change.

My take away from this is that some kind of time restricted eating plan is probably most benificial.

Constant eating doesn't give the body time to get rid of the toxins it produces during digestion and creating energy, hormones etc.

Never mind those we can't avoid in our food supply, water and air!

Most natural detoxification in the body takes place at night so we must also get 7-8 hours of good quality sleep.

Which is hard for me as an enlarged prostate causes me to trip to the bathroom about 6 times nightly.....

It's good to share this story with you guys and it helps me to stay motivated and on track.

I might start another thread about fasting.

I did a juice fast for 6 weeks in 96 and lost loads of weight, and felt better that I'd felt for years, but I'll save that for a new thread.

50 minutes ago, laislica said:

My hart rate always ended to be high, typically 90-120

Now typically below 80 under the same conditions.

What I find interesting is that without meds, previously by BP would a difference of about 60.

so it would be say 110/170

Now the difference is more like 35

so just now I measured it as 113/79 a diff of 34

the published norm is 120/80 diff 40.

so I'm on the right track?

OP, I wouldn't get too hung up on the fine detail of systolic/diastolic pressures and the differences between them. Most blood pressure machines have a standard deviation of +/- 5. Some aren't calibrated properly for years. Provided you are below 130 on the systole, most physicians will dismiss it as not worth worrying about - particularly if you are over 70.

The most important factors in blood pressure normalisation are alcohol consumption, diet, and exercise. I am assuming you have more intelligence than to smoke. Cardiovascular exercise combined with diet and sensible alcohol consumption is the way to go.

If you need to pee 6 times a night, I'd suggest a PSA check. I have an enlarged prostate too, and I only need to pee once or twice.

40 minutes ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

I love threads like this: page after page of nostrums carefully explained that each individual swears by. Lovely!

Indeed, this is my story which I like to share so I get feedback from others who may see problems in what I am doing.

It is not a recommendation of what anyone else should do.

What comes to mind is the 39 year old who is thin and apparently fit and drops dead on the tread mill.

He had no idea that his arteries were clogged....

On the other hand, others may like to share what has been found to work for them.

I am aware that genetically, one person's insulin may not spike after eating a particular food but it could spike in another person......

The elephant in the room may be as simple as consistently eating, and consistent over eating over time.

Hi ...if you can get some 'Saw Palmetto'  450mg and take one before bed time, you may well find the 6 trips a night will be drastically reduced, it works wonders on an enlarged prostate... caution if you are taking a blood thinner such as Warfarin, it will raise your INR level, so the warfarin dosage will need to be adjusted slightly lower, but you should really discuss it with your doctor if such is the case...

1 hour ago, cosmosis said:

Hi ...if you can get some 'Saw Palmetto'  450mg and take one before bed time, you may well find the 6 trips a night will be drastically reduced, it works wonders on an enlarged prostate... caution if you are taking a blood thinner such as Warfarin, it will raise your INR level, so the warfarin dosage will need to be adjusted slightly lower, but you should really discuss it with your doctor if such is the case...

Thanks for that, I do take Saw Palmetto but in the morning with other vitamins n minerals.

I shall change that as you suggest and see if it works for me.

I take no Meds what so ever at the moment but thanks for the caution.

57 minutes ago, edwardflory said:

Cook your food with OLIVE OIL, not vegetable oil, does wonders .

1ltr around 200THB  BigC foreign food section.→ NO Cholesterol

Well we use coconut oil because I read that Olive oil does not behave well when heated.

It rapidly becomes rancid and therefore somewhat toxic.

2 minutes ago, elnet1 said:

Beetroot is a dark red vegetable with an acquired taste that has been linked with better stamina, improved blood flow and lower blood pressure.

I love beetroot but it's hard to find where we live both in Thailand and Spain.

3 minutes ago, elnet1 said:

What about beetroot juice?  Or an extract perhaps

I've never been keen on manufactured "Food" products, the goodness has often been removed for reasons of shelf life.

I was very disappointed when I read the label on the LIDL Sauerkraut I bought in Spain.

It was Pasturised, thus killing the good bacteria, the very reason for eating it!

48 minutes ago, laislica said:

I've never been keen on manufactured "Food" products

Agree, but sometimes there is no choice, other than to compromise and try to make due. In the states we have miles of cheap produce and citrus and when you go to Asian countries (where I've spent months/years) sometime its better to get a "little" nutrition than to do without. Like I love fresh grapefruit, but can't seem to get any good quality ones and even stores like 7-11 will have grapefruit "juice" usually 10%, lol, but its better than nothing.

2 hours ago, laislica said:

Well we use coconut oil because I read that Olive oil does not behave well when heated.

It rapidly becomes rancid and therefore somewhat toxic.

Many oils as well as well as the oils in nuts and seeds become rancid through age and contact with oxygen.

Heating is a different matter because oils such as olive oil tend to smoke at lower temperatures--if you cook at a lower heat then it should be no problem.

Toxicity is a different matter I believe--you can grill a burger and burn it creating toxic compounds.  And then there are nitrates and nitrosamines.

A lot to consider . I am not a scientist or nutritionist but have been aware of these things for decades. Hey and I have had pesticide poisoning I assume from eating the same vegetarian food for 2 weeks in Thailand( too long to explain why). Each night when I went to bed  my liver went to work to cleanse my blood and I had skin reactions only at bedtime for a week.  The reactions were cooled only by the 15 yr. old Benadryl  I had in my possession which I brought from the west.  Take away the unwashed vegetables or fruits and their contamination and the issue went away.  I went to the hospital in Chiang Mai and they said there was no test for pesticide in the blood. So this is not proven but just my speculation. But if you Google you can get lots of info and studies on food contamination in Thailand, Asia, and the rest of the world. Check out oranges and also workers exposed to pesticides.

There is so much unseen in our environment and we need to be mindful and cautious. Just sayin'.

3 hours ago, laislica said:

I've never been keen on manufactured "Food" products, the goodness has often been removed for reasons of shelf life.

I was very disappointed when I read the label on the LIDL Sauerkraut I bought in Spain.

It was Pasturised, thus killing the good bacteria, the very reason for eating it!

I have found beetroot in the fresh food section at Makro a few times but not often and I have also bought baby beets, sliced beetroot and shredded beetroot in the international section in Makro in jars. The baby beetroot is from the UK and the shredded beetroot is branded Hainich Apfet Rotkohl which I think is Dutch

6 hours ago, Russell17au said:

I have found beetroot in the fresh food section at Makro a few times but not often and I have also bought baby beets, sliced beetroot and shredded beetroot in the international section in Makro in jars. The baby beetroot is from the UK and the shredded beetroot is branded Hainich Apfet Rotkohl which I think is Dutch

Unfortunately, we live in a farang free zone LOL

None of the shops you mention for miles.

Not driving in Thailand makes it hard to go to places like that.

We are in Thailand so that my wife can keep in touch with her roots, family and friends.

Whilst it's excellent therapy for my wife, I find the isolation gets me down and I am allergic to insect bites so I don't like to go out early or late unless covered with DEET.

For the future, I may give up the retirement ext and if I come at all, just for the 30 day waiver, my wife can return alone for her catch up.

Thanks WM1, great stuff.

I am neither a Dr., a scientist nor a nutritionist but nutrition has been a passion since I got my first computer in 1978.

I created a database giving the content of all types of food. First was copied from reference books in the local library, then from labels on canned and packaged foods.

The Db had info about minerals, vitamins, different types of fat, cholesterol, protein, carbohydrates and more.

The dBase 11 software moved to dBase 111, then 1V but when it went to Oops I decided not to continue to support my Db because, by then everything was online and I had other things to do than learn a new programming language.

Aromatherapy was also a passion and again I created a database.

Yes, I learned that all oils from vegetable sources go rancid over time and the lower the temperature they are stored in helped to prolong their life.

Essential oils are expensive so I had my own fridge just for them LOL

In the area of Spain where we live, there are many huge plastic greenhouses growing  tomatoes, courgettes, peppers, strawberries etc.

They spray them consistently with pesticides and the workers, usually people of colour form the Senegal are often injured by the chemicals.

To the extent, that a local health centre had huge noticed with pictures and explanations in several languages about the precautions to take if you use these sprays and treatments to be used to counter accidental exposure

My wife goes to the local market at our Wat and she chooses veggies which have the odd blemish, or more, from insects.

We don't mind if they don't look 100% perfect so if they are OK for the insects, then they are OK for us as they have not been sprayed right up to harvesting.

Pretty much all produce in supermarkets have been sprayed to perfection or the supermarket won't buy it!

If it looks too good to be true, it is probably only good for selling, not eating!

(The old joke about the very cheap sardines that were all bad. Punch line:

What you tried to eat them?
At that price my son, they are for selling, not for eating!

Since my current lifestyle has considerably detoxed by body, I have become more sensitive to toxin exposure.

A skin lotion that my wife uses to hydrate her skin has a horrible, chemical perfume added and I can't stand the smell.

In May in Spain, I shall make skin creams and lotions with all fresh oils that do the job wonderfully and actually feed her skin too.

7 hours ago, WM1 said:

Many oils as well as well as the oils in nuts and seeds become rancid through age and contact with oxygen.

Heating is a different matter because oils such as olive oil tend to smoke at lower temperatures--if you cook at a lower heat then it should be no problem.

Toxicity is a different matter I believe--you can grill a burger and burn it creating toxic compounds.  And then there are nitrates and nitrosamines.

A lot to consider . I am not a scientist or nutritionist but have been aware of these things for decades. Hey and I have had pesticide poisoning I assume from eating the same vegetarian food for 2 weeks in Thailand( too long to explain why). Each night when I went to bed  my liver went to work to cleanse my blood and I had skin reactions only at bedtime for a week.  The reactions were cooled only by the 15 yr. old Benadryl  I had in my possession which I brought from the west.  Take away the unwashed vegetables or fruits and their contamination and the issue went away.  I went to the hospital in Chiang Mai and they said there was no test for pesticide in the blood. So this is not proven but just my speculation. But if you Google you can get lots of info and studies on food contamination in Thailand, Asia, and the rest of the world. Check out oranges and also workers exposed to pesticides.

There is so much unseen in our environment and we need to be mindful and cautious. Just sayin'.

9 hours ago, elnet1 said:

Agree, but sometimes there is no choice, other than to compromise and try to make due. In the states we have miles of cheap produce and citrus and when you go to Asian countries (where I've spent months/years) sometime its better to get a "little" nutrition than to do without. Like I love fresh grapefruit, but can't seem to get any good quality ones and even stores like 7-11 will have grapefruit "juice" usually 10%, lol, but its better than nothing.

That's a very interesting point of view "better than nothing".

However, I believe that humans have evolved over millions of years and that it's only recently that we have had "food on tap" so to speak.

In days gone by, we would eat occasionally and our bodies were either storing fuel or burning it.

If we were unable to find food our brains would be fed by ketone bodies created from our fat stores.

Ketones are the perfect fuel and our brains would be sharper to allow us to be more alert to find food.

Our energy store, now being fat, would be much more than energy from glucose, stored as glycogen in the liver and muscles.

Thus our endurance and sprint strength would be improved. Either to escape a predator of chase and catch a small animal.

Also, our bodies would go into autophagy (see the Nobel prize 2016 for this cutting edge info)

Autophagy is when the body is short of food for an extended period of time, so it looks for old and or broken cells and recycles them.

It also forces the release of new stem cells which are then able to build brand new cells in the organs that need them.

It is thought that the optimal period of vastly reduced food is about five days and then "find food again".

This then nourishes the new stem cells and allows them to thrive.

We have become used to always having food and nutrition available and have forgotten what our genes "Know"

Usually, manufactured juices are Dead and have very little nutrition.

They do have additives to prolong their shelf life and they are often toxic to our bodies when ingested.

Of course you are also right in that we must be nourished and if you are in Thailand for weeks or months, fasting would be dangerous.

12 hours ago, edwardflory said:

Cook your food with OLIVE OIL, not vegetable oil, does wonders .

1ltr around 200THB  BigC foreign food section.→ NO Cholesterol

There is little if any difference between olive oil and other vegetable oils such as canola in terms of chemical composition. If the vegetable oil is fully liquid at room temperature, they are virtually identical. Palm oil and coconut oil are different, they contain saturated fatty acids.

Vegetable oil contains zero cholesterol.

9 hours ago, rak sa_ngop said:

I gave up alcohol for 2 months and my bp dropped from 140/90 to 120/70.

So now I will live an extra 10 years, but god, they will be 10 miserable years!

Why?

Have you replaced it with something else?

When I was a smoker, I gave up as every packet finished.

Just like I gave up booze LOL

Actually, I properly quit smoking when I was 33 because we wanted to start a family.

The booze I cut down to not a lot in general and save it for social occasions.

My reason was fat waist and bad behaviour when drunk!

8 hours ago, WM1 said:

I went to the hospital in Chiang Mai and they said there was no test for pesticide in the blood. So this is not proven but just my speculation.

Rubbish. The hospital was really saying they did not have the sampling, preparation and analytical equipment required to test for pesticides in blood.

3 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

There is little if any difference between olive oil and other vegetable oils such as canola in terms of chemical composition. If the vegetable oil is fully liquid at room temperature, they are virtually identical. Palm oil and coconut oil are different, they contain saturated fatty acids.

Vegetable oil contains zero cholesterol.

Veggie oils are manufactured using solvents like Hexane and high pressure and temperatures.

The oil then has to be filtered, bleached, deodorized and cleaned up as best they can - to a price.

The oil in the shops still contain about 5% of trans fats and other toxins.

These veggie oils were developed as bio fuels and then someone decided we should eat it cos it's cheap!

In just a few decades, canola has become one of the world's most important oil-seed crops and the most profitable commodity for Canadian farmers.

The plant belongs to the Brassica genus, the botanical family that includes cauliflower and cabbages. The name canola is a contraction of Canada and ola, meaning oil.

28 minutes ago, laislica said:

Why?

Have you replaced it with something else?

I gave up alcohol to deal with heart palpitations and atrial-fibrilation. The heart flutters disappeared overnight! The additional benefits were lower blood pressure and a loss in weight.

Unfortunately I found that my mood suffered drinking coke, chocolate shakes, fruit juices and soda water. Not exactly depression but certainly life was less fun and I was not happy.

Now I have started with beer again but with lower volumes and reduced frequency. So far this has worked. This seems like a way to control my A-Fib condition. The other option was to undergo a catheter ablation procedure which could cost up 800,000 baht with 80% success rate.

Everything in moderation.

Archived