Safest way to normalise high Blood Pressure 2

laislica

4 minutes ago, rak sa_ngop said:

I gave up alcohol to deal with heart palpitations and atrial-fibrilation. The heart flutters disappeared overnight! The additional benefits were lower blood pressure and a loss in weight.

Unfortunately I found that my mood suffered drinking coke, chocolate shakes, fruit juices and soda water. Not exactly depression but certainly life was less fun and I was not happy.

Now I have started with beer again but with lower volumes and reduced frequency. So far this has worked. This seems like a way to control my A-Fib condition. The other option was to undergo a catheter ablation procedure which could cost up 800,000 baht with 80% success rate.

Everything in moderation.

Good plan, Coke and sodas either contain HFCS (sugar in one form or more) or zero sugars but artificial sweeteners and both are very bad for our bodies.

If you are able to control the beers to just a few, sounds good.

If it were me, I go to a plant based diet, cooked and raw and low in calories but high in nutrition, with a little coconut oil and just a little fresh fruit.

If I was on meds, I'd discuss this plan with my Dr. so my meds could be adjusted as necessary.

I'd stop the beer but keep well hydrated on water or green tea.

I's continue that for a few days to allow detox to work and for the unpleasant side effects of detox to go away.

Then I'd only eat in an 8 hour window, allowing by digestive tract to recover for 16 hours for a couple of days.

Then I'd try a 3 day water only fast.

Then I'd check what my A-Fib was like and by then the Dr. would have controlled what meds I may or may not need......

If things were turning out for the better, I'd consider changing my lifestyle and follow the plant based diet.

It surprised me how quickly I got to prefer food cooked with none of the sauces my wife used to use - to male the food tastier.....

We went out last night to a restaurant with family.

I had a pork pepper-steak with gravy, a few chips and some salad but I couldn't eat the fried bread.

The gravy was full of sauces and not nice.

The salad had been plastered with Mayo which must have had tons of sugar in it so I left most of it.

All evening my stomach grumbled and complained.

Not the best experience at all.

I really prefer the veggies, lightly cooked in coconut oil and perhaps a little sea salt.

My body responds by getting healthier and losing weight.

Hell even a few old skin flaps are reducing.

But this is only what I's do.

You may need to do some research before going on such a new way of life.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, laislica said:

I love beetroot but it's hard to find where we live both in Thailand and Spain.

I find it in Big C and Lotus, and I'm living out in the boondocks. Check the produce section. It is not loose but rather packaged, over near where the imported fruit is.

Because I take Sauna's and sunbathe a lot, I sweat a lot and therefore lose salt.

I wonder if a low salt diet is healthy or not.

Salt is mostly not stored in our cells (except bone) and is therefore too easy to be excreted.

On low salt we produce more insulin to assist the kidney's retain salt.

Then if we go low carb our absorption of salt is impaired. (Double whammy?)

More insulin and we gain weight with all the fun diseases that excess weight causes?

Salt is necessary to drive vitamin C into the bones, needed for bone and collagen strength.

Caffeine causes us to excrete salt.

Sweating does too.

Salt directly controls magnesium and calcium levels.

If we are low on salt it will be taken from bone  but the magnesium and calcium will also be lost in the bone.

Hmmmmm?

6 hours ago, laislica said:

Veggie oils are manufactured using solvents like Hexane and high pressure and temperatures.

The oil then has to be filtered, bleached, deodorized and cleaned up as best they can - to a price.

The oil in the shops still contain about 5% of trans fats and other toxins.

These veggie oils were developed as bio fuels and then someone decided we should eat it cos it's cheap!

In just a few decades, canola has become one of the world's most important oil-seed crops and the most profitable commodity for Canadian farmers.

The plant belongs to the Brassica genus, the botanical family that includes cauliflower and cabbages. The name canola is a contraction of Canada and ola, meaning oil.

The only way you can get unprocessed oil is to buy extra virgin olive oil, which of course is very expensive. Everything else is processed to varying degrees. If olive oil is used in cooking, it will partially convert to trans fats. As a salad dressing, fine. There is no real difference between canola and olive oil until manufacturers start partially hydrogenating them for margarines and cooking fats.

Hexane extraction plus bleaching and deodorizing could actually be beneficial in terms of reducing impurities such as herbicides and pesticides, comp[ared with unprocessed oil. I don't have research to back up that speculation.

Incidentally, about 99% of commercial canola is genetically modified - not that I've ever noticed I'm growing an extra testicle.

2 hours ago, lvr181 said:

That is always a good starting point.

Whilst I agree with that in general, specifically it is much more dangerous to injest poison in moderation.....

Just my POV....

Lacessit:

Living in Spain most of the year let's us buy low acid (0.1%), cold pressed, extra virgin olive oil at reasonable prices.

We visit the olive presses and see it being done. 

When I had land with olive trees, our olives went there to be processed that way.

They have an museum and a restaurant and you can try the individual oils with some bread and a glass of wine, wonderful.

Canola on the other hand cannot be obtained by this method.

Solvent extraction is the only way.

So Cheap veggie oils and olive oil are very different at a fundamental level.

Olive oil is natural, been done for centuries.

In our area, I think that the best ones are: Picual, Hojiblanca, Arbequina, Lechin and Picudo.

Each having it's own distinct taste and flavour.

Canola is a new invention from the 70's and man made at a time they were looking for cheap alternatives to petroleum based fuels.

Canola is oil extracted from selectively bred rapeseed and it has significantly less erucic acid, making it more palatable than rapeseed oil.

I think it's fine as a bio fuel and in fact, I had a Dutch friend in Spain who ran his diesel van on old oil from a fryer.

It did smell rather odd and eventually it gummed up the pipes and he had a hell of a job to clean the sticky goo out of the pipes. 

Shoudda stuck to buying clean, fresh oil LOL

At that time, it was cheaper to buy a 5 liter bottle of veggie oil from a supermarket than to buy 5 Ltr diesel from the garage! No taxes!

It's also kinda interesting to think about all the changes that were being introduced into the western diet back then:

High Fructose Corn Syrup was invented.

GMO food plants were developed.

Veggie oils were invented.

Ancel Keys (paid by the sugar industry) falsely identified fat as the reason for obesity, heart disease and diabetes.

Lewis Dahl (also paid by the sugar industry) falsely identified salt as the reason for hypertension/heart disease.

The FDA introduced the infamous food pyramid high carb, low fat.

More artificial sweeteners were invented.

Food manufacturers removed fat but to give it taste and texture added HFCS, artificial sweeteners and veggie oils.

Mechanization was at full speed, manual work was largely replaced by office, sedentary work.

We had high definition colour TV.

Household gadgets had remote controls.

Labour saving was our mantra.

In the 80's home computing and games were on the rampage.

TV dinners, no one bothered to cook at home and many relied on packaged food.

We got into debt to buy the house, car(s) and motorcycles.

The wife also had to work to support this lifestyle (no time to shop and cook)

etc. etc. etc.

Again, so many variables that it's impossible to see what causes what.

As Ivr181 said: Moderation is a good starting point.

But IMHO, none of us were moderate then or now.....

Another fine mess we've gotten our selves in to!

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

The only way you can get unprocessed oil is to buy extra virgin olive oil, which of course is very expensive. Everything else is processed to varying degrees. If olive oil is used in cooking, it will partially convert to trans fats. As a salad dressing, fine. There is no real difference between canola and olive oil until manufacturers start partially hydrogenating them for margarines and cooking fats.

Hexane extraction plus bleaching and deodorizing could actually be beneficial in terms of reducing impurities such as herbicides and pesticides, comp[ared with unprocessed oil. I don't have research to back up that speculation.

Incidentally, about 99% of commercial canola is genetically modified - not that I've ever noticed I'm growing an extra testicle.

8 hours ago, rak sa_ngop said:

I gave up alcohol to deal with heart palpitations and atrial-fibrilation. The heart flutters disappeared overnight! The additional benefits were lower blood pressure and a loss in weight.

Unfortunately I found that my mood suffered drinking coke, chocolate shakes, fruit juices and soda water. Not exactly depression but certainly life was less fun and I was not happy.

Now I have started with beer again but with lower volumes and reduced frequency. So far this has worked. This seems like a way to control my A-Fib condition. The other option was to undergo a catheter ablation procedure which could cost up 800,000 baht with 80% success rate.

Everything in moderation.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I believe that lack of sodium can be a cause of heart palpitations.

Such symptoms may disappear by adding more salt to your diet.

Just sayn, so please do your own research.

Talk to your Dr.

Saturated fat in cooking oils per 100g.

Extra Virgin Coconut oil    91.1g

Extra Virgin Olive Oil         13.8g

Canola Oil                             7.1g

Replacing bad fats (saturated and trans) with healthier fats (monounsaturated and polyunsaturated) is better for your heart. One way you can do this is by choosing healthier nontropical vegetable oils for cooking and preparing food.

Maybe Olive oil is okay for low heat cooking but nice sprinkled over a salad.

Hope this gives some help to some folks. What I am suggesting is that you check (from proper certified sources) the product labeling.

13 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

Saturated fat in cooking oils per 100g.

Extra Virgin Coconut oil    91.1g

Extra Virgin Olive Oil         13.8g

Canola Oil                             7.1g

Replacing bad fats (saturated and trans) with healthier fats (monounsaturated and polyunsaturated) is better for your heart. One way you can do this is by choosing healthier nontropical vegetable oils for cooking and preparing food.

Maybe Olive oil is okay for low heat cooking but nice sprinkled over a salad.

Hope this gives some help to some folks. What I am suggesting is that you check (from proper certified sources) the product labeling.

Oh, if only it were so simple, we'd all get it right.

there are short chain triglycerides

Medium chain triglycerides and

Long chain.triglycerides

Cholesterol

and trans fats

rancid fats and oils

Your list is super if you only want to consider sat fat but if you also list other features, everything might change in terms of what is healthier for your body.

Also, who funds the research may make a difference as to how data is presented.....

e.g. Coconut oil helps in the production of ketone bodies in your body,

this is excellent fuel for the brain and has been shown to help dementure sufferers.

As you say, Canola oil has a very low sat fat content, but it is limited by law to 5% in the EU and 2% in the USA of erucic acid
a monounsaturated fatty acid that is a major constituent of certain oils, such as rapeseed oil.

Because it has been linked to cardiac muscle damage, oils such as canola oil were developed that are low in erucic acid.

I don't want to bash Canola oil but I remind you that it was originally developed as a fuel.

Rapeseed was first introduced into Canada from Poland in 1936. Because of oil shortages during World War II.

In those days the oil had many problems that made it totally unusable for consumption.

Even the seeds crushed in to meal contained sulfur compounds that were very dangerous to health and not even suitable for animal feed.

They then set out to select and cross breed the seeds to reduce these problems.

This BTW is a kind of GMO, IMHO.

Then came the real GMO which is the insertion of genes from another species o plants can make their own peticides and or resist glycophosphate herbicides etc..

When these alien genes are inserted into the plant's DNA there is no way to accurately fix where in the plant gene sequence, the new genes will fit.

It's random (outcome not predictable?)

I assisted a Czech scientist in 2010 conduct experiments in our local university on isolating plant genes and identifying their function.

Much of his work was way above my head, but I got to understand something about what was happening and what could/would go right or wrong.

It made me wish we had what the TV CSI programs seemed to have,

Full DNA results in a few minutes LOL

Remember, I'm not a scientist just a hobbyist LOL

There is more but I'll leave it here so others who may be interested check for themselves and gain their own understanding.

As has been said, Moderation.

If the human has consumed something for millennia it's likely to be OK.

If scientists come up with a new totally man made material where are the long term studies to say it's safe?

I believe that we are the unwilling long term study participants in all of the changes I listed in a previous post.

I didn't mention effects of EMF radiation,

Industrialized beef and pork farming and the Pharmaceuticals used in their alien food..

(Did you know that in the USA whistle blowers to the Agri businesses are criminals and many have been jailed?)

(It's against their Law to expose stuff like that to the public, Take care with Facebook etc.)

The results of the high carb low fat food triangle study has shown disastrous results and it is taken decades for that fact to be accepted and the system to be changed.

The problem is that Big Money controls everything...

Probably always has and always will.....

On 3/9/2018 at 12:49 PM, laislica said:

My hart rate always ended to be high, typically 90-120

Now typically below 80 under the same conditions.

What I find interesting is that without meds, previously by BP would a difference of about 60.

so it would be say 110/170

Now the difference is more like 35

so just now I measured it as 113/79 a diff of 34

the published norm is 120/80 diff 40.

so I'm on the right track?

It makes me wonder if an organ was to blame, like kidneys clamping down and causing back pressure?

I say this because the change in my body has been rapid, just a few weeks.

Although "The truth about food" a BBC documentary showed that eating 4 cloves of raw garlic could fix ED in 6 weeks....

As always, there are too many variables to actually pinpoint the actual real cause of the change.

My take away from this is that some kind of time restricted eating plan is probably most benificial.

Constant eating doesn't give the body time to get rid of the toxins it produces during digestion and creating energy, hormones etc.

Never mind those we can't avoid in our food supply, water and air!

Most natural detoxification in the body takes place at night so we must also get 7-8 hours of good quality sleep.

Which is hard for me as an enlarged prostate causes me to trip to the bathroom about 6 times nightly.....

It's good to share this story with you guys and it helps me to stay motivated and on track.

I might start another thread about fasting.

I did a juice fast for 6 weeks in 96 and lost loads of weight, and felt better that I'd felt for years, but I'll save that for a new thread.

Sooooo did the garlic cure your ED??  I assume you meant erectile disfunction.....just walking behind a hot young pooying does it for me.....love the short skirts and pony tails   :sorry:

On 3/9/2018 at 9:31 AM, UPDEHSOI said:

Good stuff. Keep up with the garlic...and onions, especially red ones, and ginger. Make sure your garlic does NOT come from China. Exercise, a lot or a little..up to you. Cardio at least three times a week. Juice of a lime or lemon mixed with apple cider vinegar and baking soda and water, best taken at night on an empty stomach. Have your teeth checked using 3D x rays. I'm serious! Bangkok hospital in Phuket will do it, don't know the cost, but IT'S YOUR HEALTH. Infected teeth that one is not even aware of is a major health issue. 3D x rays can spot infections that other types of x rays can't even detect. Oh yeah, and those cute little round bottoms you oogle every day, ( and most nights ) from now on just give them an admiring glance ( or two ) and carry on yer way.

All the garlic where I live comes from china as do the apples pairs etc. Anything specific with garlic from China?

18 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Sooooo did the garlic cure your ED??  I assume you meant erectile disfunction.....just walking behind a hot young pooying does it for me.....love the short skirts and pony tails   :sorry:

Yep but it didn't change my desires LOL

I am completely happy with my body and accept myself.

Before this relationship, twas all I could think about - I never felt fulfilled.

That changed, probably because I can if I want.....

My wife hit the menopause a while ago (she was number therr to have that so I coped well)

As her desire lessened, so did mine and we are both happy about the fact that we are still balanced.

As you may know, I'm 76, please tell me your age?

1 minute ago, maprao said:

All the garlic where I live comes from china as do the apples pairs etc. Anything specific with garlic from China?

I have read that the Chinese grow their garlic on a bed of human feces and it can contain pathogens.

You can often tell if the source is local:
Then a bulb will be dense, heavy and still have longish roots to see.

There may be a few colour blemishes on the outside too, all natural.

Eat a clove and it should be strong and burn your mouth.

The China ones look Bleached white with almost no roots and they are light and do not have a strong taste.

China export all over the world, we have it it Spain too.

That's when I learned about it.

Just what I read, please google for yourself.

22 minutes ago, laislica said:

Yep but it didn't change my desires LOL

I am completely happy with my body and accept myself.

Before this relationship, twas all I could think about - I never felt fulfilled.

That changed, probably because I can if I want.....

My wife hit the menopause a while ago (she was number therr to have that so I coped well)

As her desire lessened, so did mine and we are both happy about the fact that we are still balanced.

As you may know, I'm 76, please tell me your age?

North side of 68

27 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

North side of 68

Thanks and back then - Oh Yes  lol

15 years ago, a friend then 73 suggested that my desires may wane.

I thought - What! - Never!!!!

But in the right relationship, they have and it's great.

โชคดีกับผู้หญิง  55555

1 hour ago, laislica said:

I have read that the Chinese grow their garlic on a bed of human feces and it can contain pathogens.

You can often tell if the source is local:
Then a bulb will be dense, heavy and still have longish roots to see.

There may be a few colour blemishes on the outside too, all natural.

Eat a clove and it should be strong and burn your mouth.

The China ones look Bleached white with almost no roots and they are light and do not have a strong taste.

China export all over the world, we have it it Spain too.

That's when I learned about it.

Just what I read, please google for yourself.

Plenty of garlic grown in the Mae Suai area. In season now, 4 kg for 100 baht. Pretty sure it's not grown on human feces.

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

Plenty of garlic grown in the Mae Suai area. In season now, 4 kg for 100 baht. Pretty sure it's not grown on human feces.

Is that what I called Chiang Mai garlic in an earlier post.

A single bulb and strong as hell?

Cos, that's the one I like.

15 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Rubbish. The hospital was really saying they did not have the sampling, preparation and analytical equipment required to test for pesticides in blood.

I knew that is why they said there is no test.  You have to realize that it is a Thai medical professional speaking English and we should all know that getting a straight answer in Thailand is almost never a sure thing.

10 hours ago, laislica said:

Oh, if only it were so simple, we'd all get it right.

there are short chain triglycerides

Medium chain triglycerides and

Long chain.triglycerides

Cholesterol

and trans fats

rancid fats and oils

Your list is super if you only want to consider sat fat but if you also list other features, everything might change in terms of what is healthier for your body.

Also, who funds the research may make a difference as to how data is presented.....

e.g. Coconut oil helps in the production of ketone bodies in your body,

this is excellent fuel for the brain and has been shown to help dementure sufferers.

As you say, Canola oil has a very low sat fat content, but it is limited by law to 5% in the EU and 2% in the USA of erucic acid
a monounsaturated fatty acid that is a major constituent of certain oils, such as rapeseed oil.

Because it has been linked to cardiac muscle damage, oils such as canola oil were developed that are low in erucic acid.

I don't want to bash Canola oil but I remind you that it was originally developed as a fuel.

Rapeseed was first introduced into Canada from Poland in 1936. Because of oil shortages during World War II.

In those days the oil had many problems that made it totally unusable for consumption.

Even the seeds crushed in to meal contained sulfur compounds that were very dangerous to health and not even suitable for animal feed.

They then set out to select and cross breed the seeds to reduce these problems.

This BTW is a kind of GMO, IMHO.

Then came the real GMO which is the insertion of genes from another species o plants can make their own peticides and or resist glycophosphate herbicides etc..

When these alien genes are inserted into the plant's DNA there is no way to accurately fix where in the plant gene sequence, the new genes will fit.

It's random (outcome not predictable?)

I assisted a Czech scientist in 2010 conduct experiments in our local university on isolating plant genes and identifying their function.

Much of his work was way above my head, but I got to understand something about what was happening and what could/would go right or wrong.

It made me wish we had what the TV CSI programs seemed to have,

Full DNA results in a few minutes LOL

Remember, I'm not a scientist just a hobbyist LOL

There is more but I'll leave it here so others who may be interested check for themselves and gain their own understanding.

As has been said, Moderation.

If the human has consumed something for millennia it's likely to be OK.

If scientists come up with a new totally man made material where are the long term studies to say it's safe?

I believe that we are the unwilling long term study participants in all of the changes I listed in a previous post.

I didn't mention effects of EMF radiation,

Industrialized beef and pork farming and the Pharmaceuticals used in their alien food..

(Did you know that in the USA whistle blowers to the Agri businesses are criminals and many have been jailed?)

(It's against their Law to expose stuff like that to the public, Take care with Facebook etc.)

The results of the high carb low fat food triangle study has shown disastrous results and it is taken decades for that fact to be accepted and the system to be changed.

The problem is that Big Money controls everything...

Probably always has and always will.....

It was a "guide".

You're not going to change how food items are produced.

If you  going to make a choice among many "bad" items (and I am not saying cooking oils are bad) then choose those that are less "bad" for you.

Did you say hobbyist or lobbyist?  :smile:

3 hours ago, lvr181 said:

It was a "guide".

You're not going to change how food items are produced.

If you  going to make a choice among many "bad" items (and I am not saying cooking oils are bad) then choose those that are less "bad" for you.

Did you say hobbyist or lobbyist?  :smile:

I agree it's impossible to change the way things are and making the best "Informed" choice is the right thing to do.

In Thailand olive oil is expensive so can't afford to use it for cooking.

In Spain it's cheap and you can cook with it.

I prefer not to and we use coconut oil, it's expensive but it's our health so money well spent.

Back in the day, my Mum used lard to cook the chips, they were lovely and we wern't fat ourselves.

I might look into that as a possibility.

The problem there is things that were commonly available may no longer be, they have been replaced by the cheaper oils.

In Spain we have a deep fat fryer and my wife changes the veggie oil very often so it's always as fresh as can be and not burnt.

It costs about 1 Euro or so /liter so not too bad.

To answer your question:
I am a passionate hobbyist!

Having been retired for 18 years I have the time to spend on research and it's what I love to do.

I like forums like this because I am able to encounter people like you who are also knowledgable about the subjects that I'm interested in and that gives me the opportunity to learn more.

So Thanks for your contributions and please keep em coming!

On 3/9/2018 at 9:09 PM, laislica said:

I love beetroot but it's hard to find where we live both in Thailand and Spain.

BEETROOT IS AVAILABLE IN THAILAND.....I bought some recently and cooked in my slow cooker for about 4 hrs....took the skin off and sliced then put in jars with white vinegar...GREAT it is !!

BP while working tough job with lots of deadlines, getting divorce, deep in debt: 200/110. BP retired: 140/90. BP in Thailand, lots of swimming, massages: 105/54. Age 76, smoke a pipe 55 years now. It relaxes me as it did Einstein, Mark Twain, Hugh Hefner, Gen. MacArthur, Popeye, and Santa Claus.

4 hours ago, laislica said:

I agree it's impossible to change the way things are and making the best "Informed" choice is the right thing to do.

In Thailand olive oil is expensive so can't afford to use it for cooking.

In Spain it's cheap and you can cook with it.

I prefer not to and we use coconut oil, it's expensive but it's our health so money well spent.

Back in the day, my Mum used lard to cook the chips, they were lovely and we wern't fat ourselves.

I might look into that as a possibility.

The problem there is things that were commonly available may no longer be, they have been replaced by the cheaper oils.

In Spain we have a deep fat fryer and my wife changes the veggie oil very often so it's always as fresh as can be and not burnt.

It costs about 1 Euro or so /liter so not too bad.

To answer your question:
I am a passionate hobbyist!

Having been retired for 18 years I have the time to spend on research and it's what I love to do.

I like forums like this because I am able to encounter people like you who are also knowledgable about the subjects that I'm interested in and that gives me the opportunity to learn more.

So Thanks for your contributions and please keep em coming!

Thank you for your comments.

My down under western nation exports a lot of virgin olive oil. Mainly to Italy who I understand then breakdown/dilute/blend the olive oil and it is sold on to other countries e.g. Spain. Got that from an industry insider. :sad: May account for some 'food poisonings' from cooking oils.

3 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

My down under western nation exports a lot of virgin olive oil. Mainly to Italy who I understand then breakdown/dilute/blend the olive oil and it is sold on to other countries e.g. Spain. Got that from an industry insider. :sad: May account for some 'food poisonings' from cooking oils.

Spain is also a big producer of olive oil. The oil from the Tabernas dessert is some of the best.

Fake olive oil or adulterated has become a world wide issue.

Where ever there is an expensive product someone jumps in the fake it and make big bucks!
What a sad world we live in.

http://www.thefoodjourney.com/fake-olive-oil-avoid-these-brands-and-recognise-when-its-authentic/

On 3/10/2018 at 7:17 PM, maprao said:

Well, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to "knock" a product here on line without getting into trouble, so it might be advisable to do some research on the subject. However, don't believe everything you read on the net. Look for "quality" studies on whatever you are searching. Having said that, I lived in China for awhile, and being a bit of a health nut I visited ( and worked briefly ) on quite a few farms there...including fish farms...YUCK! First of all, China has VERY POOR growing ground. it is so deficient in so many minerals it's not even funny. Also, as far as garlic goes, China bleaches all the garlic it exports with chlorine. This is a known fact world wide. The garlic they grow, of which A LOT is grown in sewage water, is sprayed with many pesticides, including METHYL BROMIDE. If you ingest methyl bromide it will really mess up your nervous system, as well as other parts of your body. And as far as taste goes, garlic from China does not have the flavour or "bite" as the stuff grown in Thailand, Usa or Canada. You might wanna take a look at...THE HEALTH RANGER or CONSUMERS LAB and see what they think of food from China. Hate to sound negative, but I would NEVER KNOWINGLY  eat ANYTHING grown in China...and that's from my own experience.

15 hours ago, tinca tinca said:

BEETROOT IS AVAILABLE IN THAILAND.....I bought some recently and cooked in my slow cooker for about 4 hrs....took the skin off and sliced then put in jars with white vinegar...GREAT it is !!

Glad you didn't add sugar, as many people do. I always throw  a few whole cloves into each bottle...not too many, don't want to overwhelm the product. A bit of chopped onion, red or white, and sometimes a wee bit of garlic ( not from China ) works wonders for me. You could also experiment with adding a wee bit of red bell pepper...just sayin'...

11 hours ago, lvr181 said:

Yup, and I might add...I forget what year it was, but that year the USA grew 400,000 pounds of olives. The same year it exported 800,000 pounds of olive oil....umm m.

On 3/9/2018 at 10:13 PM, elnet1 said:

Agree, but sometimes there is no choice, other than to compromise and try to make due. In the states we have miles of cheap produce and citrus and when you go to Asian countries (where I've spent months/years) sometime its better to get a "little" nutrition than to do without. Like I love fresh grapefruit, but can't seem to get any good quality ones and even stores like 7-11 will have grapefruit "juice" usually 10%, lol, but its better than nothing.

Pomelos are The Thai answer to grapefruit. Testing has shown that they have many of the same compounds as the grapefruit grown in Florida. Not sure about compared to grapefruit grown anywhere else. Pomelos would be...'same same, but different." ( that's not an original saying, by the way )

6 hours ago, UPDEHSOI said:

Pomelos are The Thai answer to grapefruit. Testing has shown that they have many of the same compounds as the grapefruit grown in Florida. Not sure about compared to grapefruit grown anywhere else. Pomelos would be...'same same, but different." ( that's not an original saying, by the way )

Pomelo is in fact the Spanish word for Grapefruit.

Thai for grapefruit is  ส้มโอ som o.

It is also ส้มโอฝรั่ง som o farang.

ส้ม som, is an orange,

โอ o is a small bowl

ฝรั่ง farang, is a guava or a caucasian a Westerner

สีส้ม si som is the colour orange

Many Spanish words are used to describe culinary plants:

coriander is often called celantro.

parsley gets to be perejil etc.

Easy for me as I live more than half the year in Spain.

I learned to read Thai a couple of years ago and I occasionally like to break Thai words down to try to understand them.

Reading is quite easy, just learn the Alphabet, Classes, vowels and a few rules

but understanding what words mean is another different thing!

On 3/10/2018 at 2:14 PM, laislica said:

Because I take Sauna's and sunbathe a lot, I sweat a lot and therefore lose salt.

I wonder if a low salt diet is healthy or not.

Salt is mostly not stored in our cells (except bone) and is therefore too easy to be excreted.

From the research I have done, and because I used to spend many many hours of my younger years in the sun,  ( lived on a beach in Mexico ) I have discovered it is good to sunbathe...BUT... not a lot. And best done in early morn or in the afternoon. ( and not at all if you are in the Chiang Mai area at the moment, unless you want a smoke tan ) One needs to indulge in a good sauna four to seven times a week for it to be most effective. I take a sauna seven days a week. Twenty minutes in, cold ( I mean COLD ) shower for five or six minutes. I do this at least three times. On my last heart check up, six hours at a cost of sixteen hundred bucks, ( Gov't paid for it...thank you Gov't ) the Doc said whatever I was doing...keep on doing it. He said I have the heart of a thirty year old. Maybe he was trying to make me feel good. I also do HIIT for about thirty five to forty five minutes four times a week....usually. I also walk barefoot on the grass for twenty to forty minutes every evening....rain or shine. Yeah, my life is a bit boring I guess, but what the heck, I grew allergic to hard work and cold weather the same day...about twenty one years ago.

The ONLY salt I use is Himalayan Crystal salt. You can buy it in chunks, coarse or fine ground. It contains about forty minerals, whereas white table salt, when tested has been known to contain ground glass ( true story ) and sand. Ground glass will eventually scratch up yer arteries, and cause all sorts of problems. You can also make SOLE ( so lay ) from himalayan crystal salt. Take a teaspoon full every day in a glass of water....good for yer health. AND...you can use a bit more of the himalayan crystal salt without doing damage to yer health.

Archived