Safest way to normalise high Blood Pressure 2

laislica

4 hours ago, Kohsamida said:

Hippocrates, who is considered one of the most outstanding figures in the history of medicine, said over 2,000 years ago, "Let food be your medicine, and medicine be your food".  Many doctors today, who's main skill is only in writing prescriptions, seems to have forgotten this. 

When it comes to health, food is EVERYTHING.

Sometimes nature needs a helping hand. Even if it is only to quickly reduce the short term risk.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting thread. 

I'm a fairly recent convert to this 'nutrition & weight' lark & frankly cannot believe how easy it is or how well it works. My weight had plateaued for around a year before I became aware of the 5 2 system which I have modified to 4 3 (the lower no being 'fasting' days @ 600 cals). 

The meals are delicious, I don't have any cravings and my trousers are starting to rattle ? 

2 hours ago, evadgib said:

Interesting thread. 

I'm a fairly recent convert to this 'nutrition & weight' lark & frankly cannot believe how easy it is or how well it works. My weight had plateaued for around a year before I became aware of the 5 2 system which I have modified to 4 3 (the lower no being 'fasting' days @ 600 cals). 

The meals are delicious, I don't have any cravings and my trousers are starting to rattle ? 

Great stuff.

IMO, "diets" are short term tools to correct a specific problem.

After tha it needs life style changes to stay as healthy as is possible for any particular individual.

May I suggest that you look into doing an occasional detox and also consider doing a five day water only fast.

The benefits of which are amazing. There's loads of info on the web, Facebook etc.

Do you have sufficient iodine in your diet?

One quick test is to paint some iodine on your wrist, let it dry and see how long it takes to be absorbed.

If it takes only a short time, you may be deficient.

If little change, then your levels may be OK.

I do this about once a week.

Our bodies are clever and if they need iodine it will be absorbed through our skin.

I never read about anyone overdosing by applying iodine to their skin.

(In the past, it was spread all over woonds to disfect them - no problems)

Do your own research.

There are hazzards to Keto Paleo, Plant based diets if not done correctly.

Me, loads of multi coloured veggies as the base and a bit of everything else.

Generally, no added sugar and fairly low carbs.

However, there are days when carbs are high and I pig out.

I think it is nothing to worry about and it keeps the body in balance.

If you stay low calories for too long, expect that your metabolic rate will go down - not something you want to happen.

Best of luck

The above post, like many others in this thread, contains inaccurate information/quackery, some of it dangerous.

Iodine deficiency   in Thailand is  limited to poor families in the northeast who do not use iodized salt. Elsewhere in Thailand there is sufficient iodine in the soil to obtain needed iodine through food. In addition, table salt in Thailand is iodized.

Dabbing iodine on the skin is not an accurate means of testing for iodine deficiency. Self-administration of iodine supplements can be dangerous.

Prior posts (by other poster) also contained misleading and potentially dangerous statements.  A healthy diet and maintaining a normal weight certainly lower the risk of developing hypertension, type 2 diabetes and heart disease but do not eliminate it and there definitely are people who will develop these conditions despite optimum diet and ideal weight. Genetics also plays a role. On a population level what is true is that in a population of people with a no obesity and a healthy diet (which does indeed mean a high, though not necessarily exclusive, amount of plant-based foods and avoidance of processed carbohydrates and processed foods in general), there will be significantly fewer cases of hypertension, type 2 diabetes and heart disease than in populations with obesity and less healthy diets, but there will still be cases.

People who are already hypertensive or have type 2 diabetes, if they are overweight, will see some improvement if they reduce their weight. In some cases this will be enough to remove the need for medication, in others it will allow for a reduced dose of medication and in some cases the need for medication will not change, though there will likely still be value in terms of slower future disease progression. The same applies to unhealthy diet (which usually goes hand in hand with obesity, provided a reasonable definition of "healthy diet" is used and not some of the wildly extreme claims made by some people.)

Diet and weight loss certainly have their place and can reduce the need for medications but statements to he effect that medications are totally unnecessary, "food can cure everything" etc are untrue. By exaggerating to that degree, potential harm can be done and the actual true value of weight control and healthy diet lost in the shuffle.

I have tried to be patient with this thread but since it keeps veering off into quackery and misinformation, it is now closed.

Archived