First time Philippines?

CLW

I'm probably booking one of the current promotion flights of Air Asia DMK - Manila.

However after doing some research it seems that from the cost of travelling, it might be not a cheap holiday.

Either taking a ferry or plane to some islands / beaches quickly adds up.

I've never been to Philippines before.

Is it much better than Thailand or could I also stay at some beaches or island here in TH?

The beaches are generally better than Thailand. No need for plane journeys, plenty of good places to visit on the main island.
Bus is cheap, west to Barretto, bus from Pasay city Victory Line stn to Olongapo 230peso, Olongapo to Barretto in the blue Jeepney 15peso.

5aa35dc78e0ee_BaloyLongBeach.thumb.jpg.3b103cb39daaf215e72e1e7318e16f7c.jpg
Good to know.
Because mostly you only read about Bohol or Boracay as beach destination.
But could be the same hype as with Thailand's Phuket and Samui.

What do you want?  In most regards Thailand would be better for infrastructure, accomodations, food and more developed world atmosphere.  

Philippines would likely win on English language/common understanding, number of good beach locations, good beer and Western fast food options. 

If more poverty and begging is not too upsetting, and the shotgun guards everywhere do not cause you to lose sleep, Philippines should be fine.   Do not believe most internal flights are that expensive.

Do not get involved with any drugs!  They are very serious (although from some recent reports you will not even be asked anymore).  

Everything a bit.
I like nature as well as beaches.
Heard Philippines have some nice Highlands.
I'm travelling solo so might stick to some more popular areas to find some other people.

3 minutes ago, CLW said:

Everything a bit.
I like nature as well as beaches.
Heard Philippines have some nice Highlands.
I'm travelling solo so might stick to some more popular areas to find some other people.

Indeed as they are formed by volcanoes.  You can visit Mt Pinatubo on the main island (the one that destroyed Clark Air Base) and a lot of the surrounding area only a few years ago.   Some of the other islands have very scenic roads so probably best to check on these to have some plans before travel.  

The beaches are generally better than Thailand. No need for plane journeys, plenty of good places to visit on the main island.
Bus is cheap, west to Barretto, bus from Pasay city Victory Line stn to Olongapo 230peso, Olongapo to Barretto in the blue Jeepney 15peso.

5aa35dc78e0ee_BaloyLongBeach.thumb.jpg.3b103cb39daaf215e72e1e7318e16f7c.jpg
So this came up when I searched for Baretto.
I'm in... [emoji106][emoji28][emoji23][emoji23]2018-03-10%2012.12.03.jpg
  • Like 2

Overpriced, substandard accommodation, inferior food and very dangerous. People seem to  be nice but they will not hesitate to rip you off given the chance. I used to be married to a Filipina and I have visited the country on a number of occasions. Never felt safe, the way I feel in Thailand for example where I have never felt threatened. One can go for the beauty of the land (islands mostly underdeveloped but with natural beauty) but always come back home, Thailand that is. As other have commented, no comparison to Thailand

• Like 2

P.I. Loves to Hire Security with a 12 Ga Double Barrel Shotgun and a Metal Detector to shake you down to check for Weapons..This incls shopping Malls to Grocery stores to Most other business..Watch your Back at the ATM and don't get off the well worn paths at night...Pick Pockets Make a Living on the Busses and Jeepneys too...This is in mainly the Citys with the majority of Tourist

• Like 1

5 hours ago, my friend I said:

Thailand is better in every way.

Yes, this gentleman is right. No contest. I have been to Thailand 8-10 times & I also lived in the Philippines while earning a degree there. Unfortunately, the two societies couldn't be more different. You'll find the Philippines more difficult to get around, much dirtier, the tourist areas less pleasant and it is much less safe than Thailand (something they like to keep hush-hush). Thailand is much more modern, clean, easy to get around for even novice travelers and you get a lot of bang for your buck. You don't need to spend a lot of money to stay in nice places and locations. Yours was a good question, but there is one clear answer - Definitely visit Thailand! You won't be sorry. Good luck. :)

• Like 2

One advantage the Philippines does have is that many of the foods and liquors so beloved by foreigners are substantially cheaper in the islands by dint of reasonable import tariffs; for example, I have recently been drinking a very acceptable imported Chardonnay here for less than half the Thai price. Similarly imported cheeses, on which I have gorged before my return to the Stinky Mango.

Edited by PerkinsCuthbert
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cactus99 said:

You'll find the Philippines more difficult to get around,

much dirtier,

the tourist areas less pleasant and

it is much less safe than Thailand

No, it's very easy, bus for long distance, jeepney for local ..... both very cheap.

Have you ever been to Issan, about the same as PI in a dirt and garbage way.

Barretto is great, 20 gogo bars, and 20 western restaurants, 2 nice beaches.

I've walked through Manila barrios very early in the mornings, "Good morning sir, enjoy your stay" is the usual catcalls. 

Edited by MaeJoMTB
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, snowgard said:

Where are the prettier girls?

Thailand or Philippines?

Depends on your tastes, PI girls are a bit smaller than Thai girls (by about 5kg), prettier in a western look faces way, slightly less convincing in bed and considerably cheaper.

PI and Thailand are different, why limit yourself to just one place, flights are cheap.

Edited by MaeJoMTB
  • Like 2

Personally, I’d recommend Southern Philippines, Mindanao & Davao as essential to visit, some of their island’s equal if not better than Thailand (dependant on viewpoint) however depends if you want total chilled or part commercial/chilled environment.

Manila is just a manic as Bangkok, stay in the Makati district if you can.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

It is really unfair to both to compare as there is just so much difference.  Philippines is a land of over 7,000 islands where as Thailand is basically one land mass with a couple of tourist islands.  Thailand only has a birth rate of 1.5 where as the Philippines is almost double that.  Philippines land can not support its food needs and the seas are being fished out.  Thailand is a food exporter.  Thailand has become industrialized much more than the Philippines where almost everything still has to be imported. 

But which is better for any one person will likely have much more to do with personal relations and their own desires.  As for beautiful people - they are found in both countries - as well as some not so much so.  The Philippines will be more of an American, Australian club where as Thailand is more UK/Europe and International. 

• Like 1

As I will retire in 3 months I wanted to be sure that Philippines was not a best option. 

I plan 3 weeks there after one go back Thailand for my last 2 holiday weeks .

Except cheap alcohol , availability of girls if it's your trip and English language on the other side  expensive hotels for less quality poor infrastructure bad internet.....

send from Surigao del Norte 

• Like 1

I would guess the safety concerns or question is a bit overrated.
I've been to Venezuela and Colombia where everybody warned me before how dangerous it would be.
Had one of the best holidays there in my life

• Like 1

After reading all comments so far I think I'll give it a try. If I don't like at least I can say I was there and experienced it by myself.
And spend my next holiday elsewhere or in Thailand.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, my friend I said:

Thailand is better in every way.

No, not so.

Thailand is indeed more modern, has cheaper housing, a better infrastructure and a more exciting cuisine.

However, the Philippine people are less Asian; most speak English and practice Christianity. The roads are safer and money can fix about anything. Beer, spirits, wine, cigarettes, cigars, tobacco, and all sorts of Western Foods are cheaper in the PI. Visas are less hassle and if you marry a Filipina; you stay for free as long as you leave country once a year--or you can pay a fee and simply extend for another year.  From all the tales of woe in both countries, there are big differences; Filipinas are more likely to change their habits to suit you and less likely to just take you for all you're worth.

Of course, this is just my opinion from what I have seen and heard from literally scores of Filipina-Expat and Thai-Expat relationships over more than 50 years--including over 10 years living in each country.

That is not true. In Manila you need an eye in the back of your head

Clarke (Angeles City) is great for a coupla days but still need to watch out.

All in all a lot safer in Thailand but go & have a look !!

I see you are lashing out travelling Air Asia... I use them only for very short flights 1 hr 20 min MAX

I would consider PI more dangerous than TL. So many houses have broken bottles embedded in their outside walls......

Because of the exchange rate of 48 p/1USD most things are cheaper. I've only been to Subic area so my views may be skewed. The girls in PI would love to come to the US and of course the entire family in due time.

For a visa run it should be a blast.

• Like 1