What's your regional UK accent even if you're not from the UK?

Jingthing

1 hour ago, roo860 said:

What's a received pronunciation accent? And what sort of social circle?

Received Pronunciation (RP) is what most working class people would call posh.   

I knew i should have not, but i took the test.

So i am told i'm from Yorkshire.. BS , i am Italian.

Funny that recently i had a chat with a guy from Yorkshire, i could not understand everything he said, but he could understand me perfectly.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Stupooey said:

I was impressed that I was identified as West London, as that is where I lived for my last 30 years in the UK. Not so impressed now, as it seems half the world are West Londoners.

South London (Clapham) mate!

8 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

Funny that recently i had a chat with a guy from Yorkshire, i could not understand everything he said, but he could understand me perfectly.

That's normal: Speakers of the 'standard' language, or close to it, are understood by all native speakers, but speakers of regional variants are not understood - or only with difficulty - by speakers of the 'standard' language.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2018 at 4:35 PM, VocalNeal said:

Having completed the test the result was West London

The so-called West London or Hugh Grant accent is what used to be called Received Pronunciation (RP) or BBC English. But the test did not test accents at all, only whether you pronounced the words correctly, not whether you did so with any regional accent.

Edited by Farang99
  • Like 1

The so-called West London or Hugh Grant accent is what used to be called Received Pronunciation (RP) or BBC English. But the test did not test accents at all, only whether you pronounced the words correctly, not whether you did so with any regional accent.

Only 48% of Londoners were born there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

The test informs me I'm from Sunderland !!!... 

I've grown up in the West Midlands, while many in my area have a somewhat Brummy accent many Brits would usually struggle to place my accent which is pretty much 'neutral English'.... How the test links this with Sunderland beats me !... 

The test informs me I'm from Sunderland !!!... 

I've grown up in the West Midlands, while many in my area have a somewhat Brummy accent many Brits would usually struggle to place my accent which is pretty much 'neutral English'.... How the test links this with Sunderland beats me !... 

Maybe you accidentally said “ I’m gannin’ on the hoy like “ ?