Missing home

jimmyyy

3 hours ago, TechnikaIII said:

There's nothing 'unreal' about the tomatoes I get in my village, and the onions grown locally are delicious. It is all so good that I have no need to seek out your New Zealand produce. I don't need it and am happy to patronise the local farmers.

Then you are blessed with a good source. Most of the tomatoes I've had in Pattaya or BKK were substandard by a long shot.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

Then you are blessed with a good source. Most of the tomatoes I've had in Pattaya or BKK were substandard by a long shot.

Not at all surprised to hear that. The tomatoes have a fair journey to those locations too. Tomatoes and onions near us are top notch. KK. Even found a new source the other day with pomodoro style tomatoes. Well tasty.

• Thanks 1

On 12/03/2018 at 1:30 AM, chickenslegs said:

I'm from the UK.

What do I miss from home (apart from family and friends) ...

French bread and cheeses

Affordable Aussie/NZ/etc. wine

NZ/Aussie lamb chops

Jersey Royal potatoes

Belgian beer and chocolates

Proper Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi curries (English style)

Chinese (Hong Kong, Cantonese) take-aways

HP sauce (now made in the Netherlands)

Guinness

Where do you live here?  In a cave on a remote island?  You can get all but one of those things easily here...can’t believe you didn’t seen Guinness or HP sauce on your one visit to the mainland... in Top’s they have Waitrose essentials brown sauce that tastes exactly the same as HP as well.

There was talk they were to start bringing PG Tips and Yorkshire tea...well bugger me, wonders will never cease. 

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 12:46 AM, Rc2702 said:

Jimbo seriously? Lack of your food here?

What kind of food are you looking for?

I see all the crap you get in uk here. If that is where you are from?

Maybe not so much pies but pretty much everything else is here.

I miss ready made just heat pies at a price I can afford ( I did buy one a while back and it was truly abominable- never again ), and tinned spaghetti.

Otherwise, I can eat almost anything here I like except decent fish ( every fish and chips I've had here is tasteless mush, though the chips are OK ) and roast lamb and potatoes like I could get from the takeaway back home.

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

I miss ready made just heat pies at a price I can afford ( I did buy one a while back and it was truly abominable- never again ), and tinned spaghetti.

Otherwise, I can eat almost anything here I like except decent fish ( every fish and chips I've had here is tasteless mush, though the chips are OK ) and roast lamb and potatoes like I could get from the takeaway back home.

Tinned spaghetti? That's for kids lol

Not eating today visiting sizzler shortly for a bite to eat. Cannot wait!

1 hour ago, Rc2702 said:

Tinned spaghetti? That's for kids lol

Not eating today visiting sizzler shortly for a bite to eat. Cannot wait!

Maybe you come from a country where they make rubbish tinned spaghetti. Where I come from they sell as much of that ( to adults ) as they do baked beans, which they do sell in LOS.

I used to eat at Sizzler, but they put the price up too much for what they sell. If I want to waste money on food I'll eat at The Dukes.

9 hours ago, HAKAPALITA said:

I miss Thai Food eaten the U.S, but not the stinky ethnic 10 bht sugary gunge you get here.Even KFC tastes weird.

All mass produced fast food is a 10bht sugary gunge.Cannot debate with a KFC customer.

OP,

you re homesick.And thats fine. Food selection cannot be an excuse in Thailand. I learned how to cook.

No more depending on other people to get fed. No more whining.

Edited by Moo du

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Maybe you come from a country where they make rubbish tinned spaghetti. Where I come from they sell as much of that ( to adults ) as they do baked beans, which they do sell in LOS.

I used to eat at Sizzler, but they put the price up too much for what they sell. If I want to waste money on food I'll eat at The Dukes.

I've never heard anyone yearn for tinned spaghetti. Like spaghetti bolognese in a tin? Please elaborate on this gourmet tinned spaghetti.

I don't think sizzler is expensive it's a good deal. Had two mains 2 refills and a load of salad which includes spaghetti (not tinned) for 900 baht today. Once a month luxury that completely puts me off mcdonalds and all the fast food. Price is very similar to fast food and yet it's more than decent. I have turned my back on Chesters though. Bit rank lately.

8 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

I've never heard anyone yearn for tinned spaghetti. Like spaghetti bolognese in a tin? Please elaborate on this gourmet tinned spaghetti.

I don't think sizzler is expensive it's a good deal. Had two mains 2 refills and a load of salad which includes spaghetti (not tinned) for 900 baht today. Once a month luxury that completely puts me off mcdonalds and all the fast food. Price is very similar to fast food and yet it's more than decent. I have turned my back on Chesters though. Bit rank lately.

Obviously haven't tasted decent tinned spaghetti. I love it on toast with a poached egg. Yummy.

900 baht for one meal 55555555555555555555

That's almost my monthly food bill. That's not because I can't afford to pay more- it's because I don't need to eat that much, not looking like Mr Creosote.

I have nothing against the expensive places- I've eaten in enough myself and I liked Sizzler ( but IMO it's just not value for what they charge now ) to eat at- the eat all you like salad bar is a good idea. It's just that I can make my own salad for a fraction of what they charge now. Better things to spend money on.

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Obviously haven't tasted decent tinned spaghetti. I love it on toast with a poached egg. Yummy.

900 baht for one meal 55555555555555555555

That's almost my monthly food bill. That's not because I can't afford to pay more- it's because I don't need to eat that much, not looking like Mr Creosote.

I have nothing against the expensive places- I've eaten in enough myself and I liked Sizzler ( but IMO it's just not value for what they charge now ) to eat at- the eat all you like salad bar is a good idea. It's just that I can make my own salad for a fraction of what they charge now. Better things to spend money on.

Still waiting for Info on this great tinned spaghetti. I think you mean heinz in which case that stuff is for kids.

If your not spending more than 1000 baht a month on monthly food I have difficulty believing that and believing that's a choice.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Finding I typically prefer cooking at home, instead of the restaurants.  I did enjoy the meal at The District Grill Room and Bar....great steak but for two of us the tab was 6200b.   That's a once a year deal.   Kindee at Emquartier Food Court is my favorite cheapie.   80b meals are amazing.   But again, best is home, with my ingredients coming primarily from Gourmet, Villa, Foodland and Central Food Market.    Prices for the things I can get at Tesco seem about the same, but the key is jalapenos, cilantro, cheeses, meats, etc. that I'm looking for, just are not available at the Big C or Testco.   There should be better places than these for seafood or meat, but I'm not up to speed on that yet.

Oh, I did buy a hamburger at Big C over the weekend.....35b.   The next day it was brown, so figured ..."ah, no preservatives".   Cooked that baby up, and tossed it right in the garbage.   Holy smokes, that was some really horrible beef.   The Aussie stuff I got at Gourmet was fine for 100b.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/12/2018 at 1:30 AM, chickenslegs said:

I'm from the UK.

What do I miss from home (apart from family and friends) ...

French bread and cheeses

Affordable Aussie/NZ/etc. wine

NZ/Aussie lamb chops

Jersey Royal potatoes

Belgian beer and chocolates

Proper Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi curries (English style)

Chinese (Hong Kong, Cantonese) take-aways

HP sauce (now made in the Netherlands)

Guinness

You can get everything of the West here if you do have the money to pay. But...you cannot get all of Thailand there even if you have the money to pay.

• 1 month later...

Just saw this thread.

I miss the old car mechanic who I reckon hasn't washed his overalls for 10 or 15 years and you can sit and have a chat with and will 99.99% of the time give you the right answer to fix your car problem. Answers like, I've got one of those in the back somewhere, I'll dig it out later, or you can dig around in the big box yourself.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Just saw this thread.

I miss the old car mechanic who I reckon hasn't washed his overalls for 10 or 15 years and you can sit and have a chat with and will 99.99% of the time give you the right answer to fix your car problem. Answers like, I've got one of those in the back somewhere, I'll dig it out later, or you can dig around in the big box yourself.

And who didn't overcharge, & had a calendar in the corner of his office with some pretty ladies in bikinis.

:smile:

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, faraday said:

And who didn't overcharge, & had a calendar in the corner of his office with some pretty ladies in bikinis.

And a couple or more of 'tools' he made himself that just made some complicated actions so much easier and quicker.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, faraday said:

Many years ago he showed me the 5 minute way to change the toothed belt on OHC engines.

Carefully cut the belt in two along it's full length. Pull of the front half and push the new belt on. Cut the other half of the old belt and push the new belt fully home. 

Main agent 1 day and an arm and leg, his charge 'couple of quid and a couple of pints in the pub that night.'

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/29/2018 at 3:53 PM, HAKAPALITA said:

Not being able to sit outside any Social Security Office at lunchtime eating a Sandwich and watch my Tax Dollars being given away to bloody immigrants.

Yeahh the bloody immigrants who won this beautiful World Cup for France..  Wonderful French lads..

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, KiChakayan said:

Yeahh the bloody immigrants who won this beautiful World Cup for France..  Wonderful French lads..

????  2 out of 23 were born in Africa and came in France at the age of 2 years old; the rest were born , raised , went to school etc in France and speak fluent French; they are not immigrants , came on a refugees boat 

In the athletics and basket ball teams of Usa, the best in the world, how many Black people ? Belgium football team has also black people ; if your country has good black football players or in any other sports, surely there will be Black people in your team ??

1 minute ago, Aforek said:

????  2 out of 23 were born in Africa and came in France at the age of 2 years old; the rest were born , raised , went to school etc in France and speak fluent French; they are not immigrants , came on a refugees boat 

In the athletics and basket ball teams of Usa, the best in the world, how many Black people ? Belgium football team has also black people ; if your country has good black football players or in any other sports, surely there will be Black people in your team ??

France is the nearest to any black African nation to ever be close to winning a World Cup ! 

55 minutes ago, chrisandsu said:

France is the nearest to any black African nation to ever be close to winning a World Cup ! 

We are in 2018, how can we have a debate on such things? Seems we'll never get rid of the idiots, we are just too civilised to do it ourselves...

Edited by KiChakayan
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, KiChakayan said:

We are in 2018, how can we have a debate on such things? Seems we'll never get rid of the idiots, we are just too civilised to do it ourselves...

Well ,when you make the point that only sport teams with the majority of black players are the best then you are the biggest idiot of all . African teams are garbage and they are all black . Simple observation . 

6 minutes ago, chrisandsu said:

Well ,when you make the point that only sport teams with the majority of black players are the best then you are the biggest idiot of all . African teams are garbage and they are all black . Simple observation . 

Well it seems you miss the point mate. We should shouldn't even notice the colour of their skins, they wear football jerseys.

• Like 1