Citibank Thailand Credit Card

In particular I am interested in their Prestige card. As a retired expat it is near impossible to get a card from a Thai bank. I can get EVA miles with this card amongst other perks. Can I pay bill in USD and do they charge a foreign currency exchange? The charges made in Thailand post in THB.

Since this card is issued by Citibank Thailand, I would assume the same restrictions may apply, ie, either a WP and/or proof of income. They may possibly offer a secured credit card option. The initial application information suggests "Minimum Monthly Income: THB 50,000 (Thai Citizen) or THB 80,000 (Foreigner)".

I guess the questions will be answered by the OP completing an online application and seeing how far he gets? Since the account is hosted in a Thai bank, the default billing and payment currency will be THB and charges will apply if they accept account settlement in US$.

Although aimed at the high-end of the Thai market, Citibank Thailand products are not to be confused with the Citbank Singapore or Hong Kong offerings that are bundled with their 'wealth management' services for high net worth individuals.

You would have to call Citibank and ask. Their customer service is very good and I am sure someone could tell whether it is possible or not. I had the Thai Airways ROP Visa with them for a couple of years and back in January out of the blue they sent me a Prestige card. I travel a lot and the lounge access alone makes it worth the fees, for me anyway. I do have a work permit and meet all their criteria, so my experience with them may be different from yours. Call and ask. It is probably the only way to know for sure.

I have had one for years (had a work permit when I got it and still have it).  A friend on a retirement visa (extension for the pedantics) got one but had to "season" I think 1 million Baht in an account for 6 months. Bank account need not be Citi he had BBL.

As others have said, call them the customer service is pretty good.

• Like 1

I applied for a Citi credit card in the middle of last year. I am retired therefore no work permit but as I already had a Thai Gold Amex I thought I was in with a chance. We exchanged a few phone calls and I sent them everything they asked for and after a few days received an SMS saying I had been declined. They gave a phone number to call for further information.

I called them and they told me my credit rating was fine but that I had not provided proof of income. I protested that they had not asked for it but can supply my pension slips it if it will help. They said they would check and call me back.

That was the last I heard from them.

Citibank solicited me to apply for a credit card and then after completing the application they decline to issue the card. I am retired with a substantial pension income but Citi wanted employment income. They suggested CitiGold but I declined.

OP,

It's a Thai credit card so you would pay the bill in baht.  The Citibank Thailand website says the Prestige card has a 2.5% foreign transaction fee.

Currency conversion risk factor maximum 2.5% of the standard exchange rate set forth by Visa and/or MasterCard on retail or cash transactions incurred in foreign currencies, collectible in Thai Baht.

• 1 month later...
On 3/15/2018 at 9:01 PM, Pib said:

OP,

It's a Thai credit card so you would pay the bill in baht.  The Citibank Thailand website says the Prestige card has a 2.5% foreign transaction fee.

I have a Citibank Credit Card issued in Australia 30 years ago when I had a mortgage with them.  I've also have had a Citibank Debit Card now for  9 years which was free of all fees, transaction fees and account fees in including ATM fees.  It was great value until Sept 2017 when it became apparent that the benefits provided by this card were at  "Citibank's discretion" and they started charging the same fees on the debit card as were required for the credit cards i.e. $5 per transaction fee, 3.5% of the transaction and the Bht 220 ATM fee.  They, overnight went from the cheapest debit card to the most expensive card available I believe.  For me.

I also have a Ing Bank Debit Card issued in Australia. (Dutch Bank I think?) In the very same week (Sept 2017) that Citibank imposed its new scale of fees Ing Bank dropped them all.  All international fees including ATM fee (Bt220), no transaction fee $5, no 2.5% of the transaction, yes the Bt 220 ATM fee appears on your statement but is immediately credited back to your account.

If I take Bt10,000 out of my account in Thailand with Citibank it now costs me about about Aus $455.00.  If I do the same transaction with Ing Bank it cost me about Aus $427,00.  Now Ing Bank is nearly $30 cheaper.  All my ATM transactions domestic and international are done with Ing Bank it's much cheaper...thank you.   Citibank does have some other  great benefits like international cash transfers free of charge Citibank to Citibank

For many years Citibank saved me lots on money which I am very grateful.  However overnight they went from the best bank to the worst bank in the World for me with international debit card transactions.  I still have a Citibank Debit card and Credit Card.  I only keep them in case my Ing Debit Card does not work...good for backup, that's all.

Edited by David Walden