So much for zebra crossings - Russian tourist mown down on one in Jomtien

webfact

9 minutes ago, lapamita said:

BULLSSHIT!!!!!!!!!!!

5 warning signs... citylimit , pedestrian  and son on !!!!!!!!!!

why me can stop at any time there??????? !!!!!!!!!!

but problem solved in thaiway

they removed the predestrian some day ago

and make the paint away

............hhahaha  more death and inyouries on the way

it is NOT  a motorway it is a dual carriageway !!

3 minutes ago, lapamita said:

IT STATES 5 TIMES THERE IS A PEDESRIAN for cars and motorbikes

and second bridge is 500meter more walk in total.......ask your self who walk that, you walk that ? ???? never ever too

and whats with kids???? there many

whats with olderly, who even cant walk the high steps up????????????

you have excuses on the hand for crimminal drivers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! who not respect anything

agree so the best thing they should have done is have made a subway for people to use and go under the road

4 minutes ago, essox essox said:

agree so the best thing they should have done is have made a subway for people to use and go under the road

yes  but.............

better leave pedestrian... Open the already installed traffic light again, make the signs bigger, and controll speed by camera, and drivers fined.for passing there zebracrossing

already over the last 2 years , not all drive like crimminals,there are already 20% of drivers reducing speed or and stopi .....  much more than years ago

( trucks buses, and cars pickups  and motorbikes with blue lights and tunning they are the worst never stop,and ignorre all lawas everywhere min 80% of this nuts rivers)

now with this beahviour the crimminal drivers thinks ahhh we are right !!! and people walking wrng bcs zebra removed!!!!

1 minute ago, lapamita said:

yes  but.............

better leave pedestrian... Open the already installed traffic light again, make the signs bigger, and controll speed by camera, and drivers fined.for passing there zebracrossing

already over the last 2 years , not all drive like crimminals,there are already 20% of drivers reducing speed or and stopi .....  much more than years ago

( trucks buses, and cars pickups  and motorbikes with blue lights and tunning they are the worst never stop,and ignorre all lawas everywhere min 80% of this nuts rivers)

now with this beahviour the crimminal drivers thinks ahhh we are right !!! and people walking wrng bcs zebra removed!!!!

a subway is the correct thing to install.............no one can get killed walking beneath a very busy road, as there are NO vehicles !!

Thais want to be number 1

the prefection of the evolution

removing all zebras, extend streets, more rights to drivers

and soon they will be again in the Guinnes book for worldrecords

in mumber of death in street

so number 1 is import, same same for what

On 3/19/2018 at 9:44 AM, essox essox said:

IT STATES that there is  A BRIDGE.....THEY JUST do NOT USE IT

Take a deep breath Sunshine. There is no need to shout. The bridge is a considerable distance away and with the amount of foot traffic at that point it probably justifies a set of traffic lights or a foot bridge there. The bigger issue is that this is a miserable place to be a pedestrian, whether you trying to cross the road or even walking on the sidewalk and having to dodge motorbikes.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MrJohnson said:

or even walking on the sidewalk

If there is a sidewalk. And when there is, you have to be careful not to break an ankle in a hole or poke your eye out on a low-hanging awning while you've got your head down watching out for pot-holes. "Because you tall too mutt".

I'm not much of a fan of the overly-litigious overly-lawyered US system, but it does cut down on pedestrian hazards.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tingtongtourist said:

safest is to cross the road by walking beside an old soi dog

Actually it's opposite, many of the dogs here will observe you crossing and then quickly follow when it's "clear".  

I am not saying the dogs in Thailand do not have a brain , but several look sort of mentally ill after years on the street, and probably with diseases as well . When I observe them they really want to cross the soi but just can't move until it's too late  , lots of people crossing and they will follow. 

On 3/14/2018 at 9:16 AM, robblok said:

I feel that in Thailand all things should be regulated by traffic lights (not that they are always obeyed) 

Are you not aware of the pedestrian light debacle in Pattaya? That was about 6 years ago. They put in dozens of pedestrian crossing lights all over town. As a resident, I can tell you first hand that no one obeyed them. Even worse, it was dangerous to try to stop for them. I tried to stop for them at the start, but gave up and just followed traffic through them. The buses and baht buses never stopped for them. They started turning them off on weekends and eventually turned them all off permanently.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

On 3/14/2018 at 8:50 AM, Thian said:

In Thailand the zebra-crossings mean absolutely nothing, they better write that on huge signs at the airports where the quality tourists arrive.

It is quite possible the Russian was killed, not because he was confident that traffic would wait for him at the crossing, but he looked the wrong way when crossing.

I was nearly run over when I first arrived in the US on a holiday. Looking the wrong way is hard to correct because a lifetime of looking the other way is hard to change, especially when you're not paying attention. That's a quiet area of town, so becoming too casual about crossing these streets is quite common for tourists.

11 hours ago, tropo said:

Are you not aware of the pedestrian light debacle in Pattaya? That was about 6 years ago. They put in dozens of pedestrian crossing lights all over town. As a resident, I can tell you first hand that no one obeyed them. Even worse, it was dangerous to try to stop for them. I tried to stop for them at the start, but gave up and just followed traffic through them. The buses and baht buses never stopped for them. They started turning them off on weekends and eventually turned them all off permanently.

No I am not aware of it, however we had something similar around my area. They put in traffic lights it was a huge improvement however soon the lights stopped to work. One can only imagine they were put there to get commission on the contract. Here around BKK people usually obey traffic lights (yes you got some idiots going through red at the last moment). Traffic lights just work well here (if you make sure you watch out for idiots going through red)

If you look at the left of this photo  between white and black cars  is

the "legendary Sukumvit walking man"  he has been walking like that in the "fast lane" for years.

You can also see Russians using the foot bridge.

P_20180320_144032.thumb.jpg.107ccc352445a6e42f43775a615a8ac6.jpg

On 3/14/2018 at 12:54 PM, johng said:

Yes they painted them out. The Russians still try to cross thinking its a Zebra crossing though.P_20180314_124225.jpgP_20180314_124503.jpg

how do you know what they are thinking?

my bet is on them crossing streets just as they do in Russia, where pedestrian accidents are very common.

5 hours ago, robblok said:

No I am not aware of it, however we had something similar around my area. They put in traffic lights it was a huge improvement however soon the lights stopped to work. One can only imagine they were put there to get commission on the contract. Here around BKK people usually obey traffic lights (yes you got some idiots going through red at the last moment). Traffic lights just work well here (if you make sure you watch out for idiots going through red)

Here's a thread discussing them:

with some excuses given as to why they switched them off. No doubt it was a huge contract as 42 sets of lights were erected,

At the time we had hope that it would make 2nd Road and Beach Road safer but soon realised no one was stopping for them.

On ‎21‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 3:06 PM, tropo said:

Here's a thread discussing them:

with some excuses given as to why they switched them off. No doubt it was a huge contract as 42 sets of lights were erected, At the time we had hope that it would make 2nd Road and Beach Road safer but soon realised no one was stopping for them.

The thread you cited is more than 1 year old, and things have change a lot.

I often cross at places with pedestrian signal on Beach Road, and cars now mainly stop at red light. :smile:

34 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

The thread you cited is more than 1 year old, and things have change a lot.

I often cross at places with pedestrian signal on Beach Road, and cars now mainly stop at red light. :smile:

What a difference a year makes. How many of the 42 sets have they switched back on?

Edited by tropo
  • Confused 1