Nurse in horrific accident - teacher driver bargains refusing to pay family demands for compensation

webfact

Nurse in horrific accident - teacher driver bargains refusing to pay family demands for compensation

1521041245259.jpg

Picture: TNA

TNA reported on the case of the 23 year old Bua Lamphu Hospital nurse who was hit by a car while waiting on her motorcycle at the lights at an intersection on February 6th. She was going home after working in the hospital.

In horrific footage Praew was thrown ten meters by the car that TV presenters said made no attempt to brake.

Patchanok Phoinork or Praew, 23, ended up in a serious condition in her own ER room and had to have her spleen removed. Most people who saw the footage believed she was incredibly luck not to be killed.

The car was driven by Sri Bun Reuang teacher Wannaphasorn Lakun, 38.

The teacher and Praew's mother Kusuma Tonchaiphum, 47, met for the third time yesterday to sort out compensation. But no agreement was reached.

Police subsequently charged Wannaphasorn with negligent driving causing grievous injury. The case will be considered by the public prosecutor by Friday.

Yesterday after a three hour meeting the mother - who had the help of a free lawyer - told reporters that she wanted 500,000 baht. The teacher had offered 350,000 and a new bike.

This, said Kusuma, was not good enough. Her daughter was still suffering from complications and was now not complete after her spleen was taken out.

"Who is going to pay in the future if further complications set in?" she asked.

She demanded that the teacher pay the compensation request in full and not try to bargain.

Source: TNA

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-03-15

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, webfact said:

who was hit by a car while waiting on her motorcycle at the lights at an intersection on February 6th. She was going home after working in the hospital.

In horrific footage Praew was thrown ten meters by the car that TV presenters said made no attempt to brake.

hopefully underscores , for all of us, how dangerous it is to be on the roads and streets in thailand given the low level of driving 'skill' here

A post containing derogatory slur toward Thais has been removed as per the following:

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

Horrific stuff. So common here. She was just minding her own business, and waiting at a red light. What on earth was the so called teacher doing? Texting? Talking on the phone? How can one allow themselves to be that distracted, while driving? How can this so called teacher justify the negotiations, when the damage they caused was an extensive as it was? Such a worm. Such a retrograde. Such a subpar individual. Such a loser. Such a monumental screw up. Lucky the gal on the bike was not killed. 

I do not mean to cast a negative light on the victim of this accident, but getting on a scooter, or a motorcycle anywhere in Thailand, without a very good helmet, is like playing Russian Roulette with three or four bullets in the chamber. It is absolutely asking for problems. The degree of recklessness here is astounding. And many foreigners come here thinking "how much trouble could I get in on a little scooter, on a tropical island"? Well, the answer is alot. Rider beware. Use as good a helmet as you can afford, and do not use these eggshells pieces of crap. They crack at the first impact, and what lies underneath them? Your skull, which is very delicate. 

Just ask yourself- do I have enough problems already, without a broken skull, or smashed head, or face injury, or lost eye? I have two friends who have been in motorbike accidents on Samui within the last two years. One still cannot walk, or talk or function on her own, from a motorbike accident, where she hit her head on the pavement going only 20 kph. The other one has lost alot of his mental capacity after hitting his head. He insisted for years he would never wear a helmet. Now, he seems 15 years older. 

29 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Cheapskate. 

To bargain in this case is prudent already. This was no accident, this was a case of ignorance, stupidity and missing ability - should be prosecuted at court. If the Lady Needs legal assistance I am willing to contribute 20.000.- B.

I have spent two months for a project very close to those cities and driven through them numerous times recently.  And I can say that I'm very glad to not be in that area any more. Riding a bike in Thailand is dangerous enough but around Isaan it's on a whole other level. First I thought it's sheer stupidity but when I got pushed out of my lane by oncoming vehicles (even buses) who want to take over another vehicle in their lane, even though there was 2km in front and behind me no cars whatsoever and they could have just waited about 15 seconds before overtaking, I have to say this is mallice. The drivers clearly see you, they could have all the time and space in the world to overtake the other car in safety but they just wont. They stubbornly push you out of your lane onto the hard shoulder for no frickin reason whatsoever. And it's not like I'm hard to see. Bright color huge ass touring bike with luggage in the middle of the day. I love riding bikes but I was very close to losing my passion because of these close calls that no matter how good of a rider you are, you cannot prevent and eventually they'll get you and kill or heavily harm you.

19 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Horrific stuff. So common here. She was just minding her own business, and waiting at a red light. What on earth was the so called teacher doing? Texting? Talking on the phone? How can one allow themselves to be that distracted, while driving? How can this so called teacher justify the negotiations, when the damage they caused was an extensive as it was? Such a worm. Such a retrograde. Such a subpar individual. Such a loser. Such a monumental screw up. Lucky the gal on the bike was not killed. 

I do not mean to cast a negative light on the victim of this accident, but getting on a scooter, or a motorcycle anywhere in Thailand, without a very good helmet, is like playing Russian Roulette with three or four bullets in the chamber. It is absolutely asking for problems. The degree of recklessness here is astounding. And many foreigners come here thinking "how much trouble could I get in on a little scooter, on a tropical island"? Well, the answer is alot. Rider beware. Use as good a helmet as you can afford, and do not use these eggshells pieces of crap. They crack at the first impact, and what lies underneath them? Your skull, which is very delicate. 

Just ask yourself- do I have enough problems already, without a broken skull, or smashed head, or face injury, or lost eye? I have two friends who have been in motorbike accidents on Samui within the last two years. One still cannot walk, or talk or function on her own, from a motorbike accident, where she hit her head on the pavement going only 20 kph. The other one has lost alot of his mental capacity after hitting his head. He insisted for years he would never wear a helmet. Now, he seems 15 years older. 

I concur regarding the use of a quality helmet, an absolute must especially near any highway or ‘speed’ area. 

It appears that the safety presented by quality safety gear still hasn’t penetrated Thai society much to the detriment of the local population. This is quite obviously represented in the road fatality statistics of 80% motorcycle related I believe? 

Whenever using a motorcycle I am hyper alert at all times and whenever I need to come to a stop either at traffic lights or an intersection I pull to the safest part of the road, usually the left, and I’m constantly eyeing my mirrors to avoid exactly this type of incident. 

I’ve already been the victim of an horrific traffic accident through no fault of my own  and fully understand the pain & suffering presented by lifelong injuries and disability, I can fully empathise with this young girl. 

If only students were required to do field trips to hospitals to see and talk to these people first hand, maybe it would make a difference? Maybe not. 

Best of wishes and luck to the poor victim in this. 

2 minutes ago, MadMuhammad said:

I concur regarding the use of a quality helmet, an absolute must especially near any highway or ‘speed’ area. 

It appears that the safety presented by quality safety gear still hasn’t penetrated Thai society much to the detriment of the local population. This is quite obviously represented in the road fatality statistics of 80% motorcycle related I believe? 

Whenever using a motorcycle I am hyper alert at all times and whenever I need to come to a stop either at traffic lights or an intersection I pull to the safest part of the road, usually the left, and I’m constantly eyeing my mirrors to avoid exactly this type of incident. 

I’ve already been the victim of an horrific traffic accident through no fault of my own  and fully understand the pain & suffering presented by lifelong injuries and disability, I can fully empathise with this young girl. 

If only students were required to do field trips to hospitals to see and talk to these people first hand, maybe it would make a difference? Maybe not. 

Best of wishes and luck to the poor victim in this. 

Absolutely agree. And why are these drivers speeding, or not paying attention, in the first place? The primary reason is the toy police force. Nobody, and I mean nobody takes these guys seriously. There is absolutely nothing in the way of a deterrent here, and both the local governments, the central government (weak Little P.) and the police do not take traffic safety seriously. Not even one iota. The safety of the public means less than zero to the small men in charge here. Nothing. They show that on a daily basis. They will not do a thing. Why? They do not care about the people one iota. Not the common people. Not the average pleb. No way. Never have cared, and may never care in the future. It is all about protecting the elite, the super wealthy, those that are connected, and those in power. The rest of the population? They do not matter. The ex-pat community does not matter. And the police will not get involved unless an accident has already occurred. There is no prevention. None. The idea of getting the police more involved, is an interesting one, and it would be an effective one. But, the issue is money. They are grossly underpaid, and until the government steps up, and spends the trillion baht on updating the police equipment, and paying each cop a living wage, it is not going to happen. Until then, they will just work the franchise. 

When I was growing up, we took drivers education classes. They showed us these horrendous films, of semi trucks crashing into cars, and literally obliterating them, and everything inside. Also, they showed very graphic images of head on collisions. Even as a young kid, it left a lasting impression, and I realized driving was no joking matter. Especially when you have your friends, or loved ones in the car with you. I am constantly astonished at the kinds of chances people take here, with their entire family in the car with them. Why? What is the logic? What is the reason? Why take those risks? Often, when someone cuts onto the highway in front of me, as I am doing 100kpm or more on the highway, I look in my rearview mirror, and there is nobody behind me for quite some distance. Which means, had they paused, and waited 2 or 3 seconds, there would have been zero risk to them, their family, or me and my family. What can one even say? All of this matters even more when driving a motorbike, where there is no protection. 

The only way to survive here on the road, is to be patient, have eyes in the back of your head, drive with caution, and always, and I mean always watch out of the other guy. Chances are, he does not have much driving skill, nor patience, nor reason, nor common sense. You cannot be too careful on the road here. Especially considering that the toy police offer no traffic safety, nor enforcement of the law. 

58 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I just checked my 1st class insurance, 3rd party liability.

500,000 per person

10,000,000 per accident

1m property damage.

If someone hasn't got enough insurance they should pay compensation, hopefully the police will enforce it

Yes, 

With AXA

14 minutes ago, DieterWiehe said:

i think there is compulsory insurance in Thailand now

Just Porabol (govt no fault type) which is not high limits I believe

I think it is only 3rd party bodily & property insurance with low values since it costs

so little per year

If the driver owns nothing they buy that about 4k a year I think & 1500 a year on scooters etc

They buy it because they have nothing to lose. If they own things they want a more comprehensive coverage of course

24 minutes ago, DieterWiehe said:

Yes here is, but it's also possible to buy fake stickers, and fake documents to present at the gov't office to renew the annual road tax in the vehicle blue book.

I'm aware of a case, several years back where the fake sticker / documents team were asking people outside the renewals office in Chonburi is they wanted to buy fake sticker / document.

59 minutes ago, DieterWiehe said:

There is- but some just like to froth at the mouth. The compulsory insurance is a very small amount though and covers sod all.

This issue seems to be about compensation- third party insurance (if the teacher WAS properly) should have covered the nurse's medical bills and bike repairs. If the teacher wasn't insured should have been prosecuted for no insurance on top of other things but it will be another paltry fine. We all know what insurance companies world wide are like though. 

Archived