IKEA unpacks plan for new store every year in region

webfact

Just now, Thian said:

I see, i thought you didn't drink coffee or only if it's free??? 

I only drink coffee at home, it's the best and nothing beats that, not in Italy, Swiss, Singapore, Tokyo, Starbucks, holland....nowhere at all. They sell those percolators in Ikea and cheaper than in central.

I'll go there to buy a load of chocolate today, have been waiting for that. Also salmon, mustard and some more stuff...Ikea stainless steel can go in the dishwasher, try that with utensils from central!

In Bangna i saw loads of Thai all sitting on the sofa's, i bet soon they'll be laying on the beds taking a nap...free aircon, good bed, cheap icecream...what else do they need?

I would not even drink coffee if its free, i might drink the tea. But I believe there are more advantages to the family card (only saw the sign for free coffee  with it) . I got a Nescafe coffee machine at home the one with the expensive pads. Its for my visitors and I sometimes use it for hot chocolate. Never liked coffee never wil.

4 minutes ago, robblok said:

One part of me agrees with you, we need more big shops like this for the competition. Ikea is good, but i doubt the likes of CP would ever let others enter Thailand. Groceries are here often quite expensive compared to abroad. I don't mean just foreign products.

On the other hand those mom and pop shops are giving some income to the locals. I won't buy there as its likely as a foreigner you get screwed over. Not always though but in places where they don't display prices its more likely.

Not only the small shops extort me they also give a very crappy service and waste a lot of my time. I don't want to wait for them in the heat to search the price in a big book, search for the tapemeasure , search for calculator to calculate price after discount, and speak crappy english to me...i'll go to ikea and all problems are solved...will be happy to pay more if needed.

The Makro from CP also is a good shop but still has long qeueu's. BKK needs many more big shops...

I personally have never liked the walking advertisement nature of Ikea

If I come into a store to buy some lights I shouldn't have to parade through the whole damn store to get to the lighting area.  If you decide, after getting to the lighting area that you want a nice table to put your new lamp on, you have to troop through the whole store again to get to where the tables are located;  only to find when you get down into the bowels of the store they no longer have the item in stock 

I come to a store to purchase something not be entertained by viewing their merchandise  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Thian said:

Not only the small shops extort me they also give a very crappy service and waste a lot of my time. I don't want to wait for them in the heat to search the price in a big book, search for the tapemeasure , search for calculator to calculate price after discount, and speak crappy english to me...i'll go to ikea and all problems are solved...will be happy to pay more if needed.

The Makro from CP also is a good shop but still has long qeueu's. BKK needs many more big shops...

You always have a beef with crappy English.. i think that is something you will have to accept.. besides English is not important here in Thailand. You (and I) are not important in the grand scheme of things we represent less then 1% of their profit. Why go through the effort of hiring someone (extra cost) or learn extra English (extra cost) for 1% or less of the profit. The  Thais are actually smart not to learn English as it has no economic sense. Especially in those mom and pop shops. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, robblok said:

You always have a beef with crappy English.. i think that is something you will have to accept.. besides English is not important here in Thailand. You (and I) are not important in the grand scheme of things we represent less then 1% of their profit. Why go through the effort of hiring someone (extra cost) or learn extra English (extra cost) for 1% or less of the profit. The  Thais are actually smart not to learn English as it has no economic sense. Especially in those mom and pop shops. 

I see, you haven't been shopping as much as i did in BKK...

Almost ALL those furnitureshops have a kid there who has studied abroad but still speaks crappy english and didn't learn anything from the West where they have lived for several years. The shops still are far from professional.

And yes, i also speak english as a 2nd language, even didn't go to university but i'm almost fluent in it and those rich chinese/thai kids who studied abroad should respect that and be ashamed that they wasted their chance to learn proper english. If they can't help me professionally and waste my time i sit on my motocy within seconds heading for the next shop. And i've spent a small fortune on furniture here, all is handmade and highest quality teak. But even in Soi Maisac (teakwoodstreet) Bang sue they tried to cheat me last week, 25.000 for a plywood teakveneer wardrobe which costs 4000 at Ikea....that's insane...and they even refused to build me one from pure teak, even after they told me it would cost 80.000 baht they wouldn't make it cause it would crack they said (in 3 shops there)...I have loads of those wardrobes and none has cracks, only the teak dinnertable has a crack.

And english is not important in Thailand? What bs is that? The Thai that work above standard university-level all can speak english, yes they are the CEO and higher managers, and nope they don't work in shops along the roads or in malls.

My wife has to go buy something very important for Thailand soon, in Holland and France....it's a multi-billion baht order FYI. And they let her do it because i taught her how to speak proper english.

Yes it's very smart to not learn english, so companies like IKEA (where all the staff CAN speak english) will take over the market in coming years...yup, vely smart...And that comes from a bookkeeper hahaha.

5 minutes ago, Thian said:

Almost ALL those furnitureshops have a kid there who has studied abroad but still speaks crappy english and didn't learn anything from the West where they have lived for several years. The shops still are far from professional.

And yes, i also speak english as a 2nd language, even didn't go to university but i'm almost fluent in it and those rich chinese/thai kids who studied abroad should respect that and be ashamed that they wasted their chance to learn proper english. If they can't help me professionally and waste my time i sit on my motocy within seconds heading for the next shop. And i've spent a small fortune on furniture here, all is handmade and highest quality teak. But even in Soi Maisac (teakwoodstreet) Bang sue they tried to cheat me last week, 25.000 for a plywood teakveneer wardrobe which costs 4000 at Ikea....that's insane...and they even refused to build me one from pure teak, even after they told me it would cost 80.000 baht they wouldn't make it cause it would crack they said (in 3 shops there)...I have loads of those wardrobes and none has cracks, only the teak dinnertable has a crack.

And english is not important in Thailand? What bs is that? The Thai that work above standard university-level all can speak english, yes they are the CEO and higher managers, and nope they don't work in shops along the roads or in malls.

My wife has to go buy something very important for Thailand soon, in Holland and France....it's a multi-billion baht order FYI. And they let her do it because i taught her how to speak proper english.

Yes it's very smart to not learn english, so companies like IKEA (where all the staff CAN speak english) will take over the market in coming years...yup, vely smart...And that comes from a bookkeeper hahaha.

"They tried to cheat me". If you walked in there fluent in the local language (last time i checked - this is Thailand), this would'nt happen.

Jeez, another poster moaning about the lack of English skills living in a foreign country.

Here's an idea. Why don't YOU learn the LOCAL language?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Thian said:

Yes it comes from a bookkeeper who has far more knowledge about what is economical viable then you. You base everything on your experiences. While your far less then 1% of their clientele.. the extra cost of learning English would not be worth it for that little bit of extra profit they get from you. You expect everything to be easy for you.. the MRT should follow what you think is good.. people should speak English.. this should that should... talk about someone unwilling to adapt. 

You even killed your own argument by saying that people above university level speak good English.. do you expect those to sit behind the cashier just to make you happy. People who speak good English can get much better jobs then being a cashier. So what is your point.. do you actually have a point.  

What you should do is to study Thai and make your life here more live-able. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

"They tried to cheat me". If you walked in there fluent in the local language (last time i checked - this is Thailand), this would'nt happen.

Jeez, another poster moaning about the lack of English skills living in a foreign country.

Its tiresome foreigners moaning about the locals having to learn English while they themselves moved to a foreign country and (obviously) refuse to learn a bit of the local language. Now true tourist complaining is a different thing. But expecting a mom and pop shop or any other shop outside the tourist area's to speak good English is just laughable. 

I don't claim my Thai is good, but its good enough to get by and hold conversation, pick up on conversation and so on. If I really need to get something done that requires specific input I try to bring the GF. I don't see it as the Thais failing to speak English but my own failing to learn the local language. 

I bet that is something most self absorbed foreigners can't even think about.. faulting themselves for not learning something. Because in their small minds the locals need to bow to their wishes learn English (even if not economical viable). It really is a narrow minded mindset. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

Mate i also speak thai but not very good...just good enough for shopping...

And don't you worry, they will cheat ALL customers, thai or not...why do you think they don't show the retailprice at all??

23 minutes ago, robblok said:

Yes it comes from a bookkeeper who has far more knowledge about what is economical viable then you

Exactly, the 10 euro an hour bookkeeper......while even thai bookkeepers cost more.

Anyone know if IKEA sell Swedish food at Pick-up Point locations, or is it only at the main larger malls?

Nonetheless, good news they’re getting one in Udon. Fairly good quality, good prices and practical solutions, at least compared to most shit sold in Thailand in that price range.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

6 hours ago, johng said:

Have they  fixed the "stupidness"  that  you order stuff online from their website  

but then have to physically go to the Bangkok branch to pay for it !    ??????

Last time I was at the Bangna store a couple months back, one of the managers told me they're working on a plan to implement online ordering and payment, which then could be followed up with delivery to home services, which they already offer.

But, the manager didn't make it sound like online ordering and payment was imminent, maybe a year away was the best sense I got from our conversation.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Langsuan Man said:

I personally have never liked the walking advertisement nature of Ikea

If I come into a store to buy some lights I shouldn't have to parade through the whole damn store to get to the lighting area.  If you decide, after getting to the lighting area that you want a nice table to put your new lamp on, you have to troop through the whole store again to get to where the tables are located;  only to find when you get down into the bowels of the store they no longer have the item in stock 

I come to a store to purchase something not be entertained by viewing their merchandise 

But that's their business model, intentionally so, and always has been.

1 minute ago, johng said:

Ok thanks I hope they can do it ....i'm sure it will increase sales tremendously.

It's surprising to me that they've been SO SLOW to implement that here. I also think it would greatly expand their business/sales.

AFAIK, you can't actually order and purchase anything online from IKEA Bangna. You can just create an online shopping list and then take the list to the store.

In the U.S., it looks like they've been rolling out what they call "Click and Collect," but that's not available even at all their U.S. stores, just some.

https://www.ikea.com/ms/en_US/customer_service/faq/index.html

• Like 1

7 hours ago, robblok said:

Your talking with a guy that makes more then 2 million after taxes (not super much but enough to live here). But hey just let your narrow uneducated mind jump to conclusions. 

I wonder about your IQ a bit.. wonder if its up to the national Dutch average or not.

Y'all sound like a weekly Dutch old lady knitting club.

4 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

But that's their business model, intentionally so, and always has been.

If you knew your way round the store you would see there are many shortcuts that mean you can avoid walking through the whole store.

The new store at Bangyai is also the first where you are able to pay on all levels, not just the end.

8 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

How much more expensive is Ikea in Thailand compared to say UK? High import duties added on maybe

I checked a few items, like the oriental rugs and one of the real leather couches, and found that they are the exact same price.

Cant  stand the place, quality only slightly better than the Thai tat on general offer and the stores are rabbit  warrens  that you have to go thru like some demented Jumanji type game to get out.

• Like 1

Just went again today, lot less people (but it was still early). Still too many people in the restaurant. Picked up some small things (knives, knife holder, some other small kitchen stuff). Useful shop indeed.  Got the Ikea family card this time. First a paper one later the real thing. Its some sort of point collection card with discounts on products at times and free coffee and tea.

On 3/16/2018 at 7:48 PM, wabothai said:

Y'all sound like a weekly Dutch old lady knitting club.

That's right, ladies from the knitting club also only drink tea, coffee is too harsh for them and makes the heart go too fast which is uncomfortable if you sit on the butt all day long.

7 minutes ago, Thian said:

That's right, ladies from the knitting club also only drink tea, coffee is too harsh for them and makes the heart go too fast which is uncomfortable if you sit on the butt all day long.

That from the guy who can't even speak basic Thai. You don't need caffeine mate, you already get in a rage when the cashier at Mc Donalds does not speak English. 

If I want to get my heart rate go up ill go to the gym or have some fun with the GF. No need for caffeine.