Hit by an SUV today at low speed (on my bike)

Hal65

1 minute ago, balo said:

So you're on a bicycle without lights at 3.30 am , sorry you asked for it. I also ride my bicycle daily here, but I invested in a laser light that warns car drivers at night so they will see me. No guarantees of course, but I would not dare to ride late at night anyway , too many drunk drivers.

Your laser light does nothing but dazzle car drivers, just like some tit driving with main beams on.  It should be pushbikers responsibility to get out of the bloody way, and that does not mean riding on the path.  You have the same rights as pedestrians, skateboarders, segways and hoverboarders on  the highway: None till you start paying road tax and have insurance.  

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Hupaponics said:

I recommend you to take a drive in a car with tinted windows in dark hours. You'll be amazed how difficult it is to see bicycles and motorbikes with no lights.

Should not be a problem if the tinted film is legal...

but of course not legal if a 50% or 80% attenuation ! And we see many of them... :sad:

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, balo said:

So you're on a bicycle without lights at 3.30 am , sorry you asked for it. I also ride my bicycle daily here, but I invested in a laser light that warns car drivers at night so they will see me. No guarantees of course, but I would not dare to ride late at night anyway , too many drunk drivers.

Where did you get yours from? I assume it looks like this?

bike-lane-light1-640x533.jpg

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

but of course not legal if a 50% or 80% attenuation ! And we see many of them... :sad:

I think you are not a driver. Even without tinted films it is difficult to see a bike without lights!
When you stated that this should not be a problem, why we should use lights at all, as it would make no problem.

• Like 1

I don't really understand... I never had accident here myself but already assisted a farang friend also just pushed at low speed at a traffic lights intersection. He called his insurance and some guy was here no more than 10 minutes latter :). Among all the thing this guy wrote were informations on the other driver, including car, insurance and license details. The absence of a DL would very certainly have been written in red on his report, and certainly again would have consequences.... (I think)
Other guy in car had no insurance

Yes my insurance guy came quick so. What it's me who paid 30k excess

2 hours ago, Cranky said:

It should be pushbikers' responsibility to get out of the bloody way, and that does not mean riding on the path.  You have the same rights as pedestrians, skateboarders, segways and hoverboarders on  the highway: None till you start paying road tax and have insurance.  

False. Cyclists have the same rights (and responsibilities) on roads as motor vehicles. The bit about taxes is your opinion, not a fact. Most of us also drive and do pay road taxes. And I have lived in places where I have paid for a bicycle license, without complaint.

Edited by LawrenceN
Spelling
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:

Next time it might be a truck with a different outcome. Why would any sane person ride a bike at NIGHT in Thailand?

There are a couple interesting implication from this post:

1) Cars/motorbikes are safe at night

2) Bicycles are more dangerous than cars

Not saying I disagree but it would be interesitng to know if either of these is true. I've aeen an accident in Bangkok, and heard the noise of one in Pattaya. For 4 years that's a lot events.

58 minutes ago, Hal65 said:

There are a couple interesting implication from this post:

1) Cars/motorbikes are safe at night

2) Bicycles are more dangerous than cars

Not saying I disagree but it would be interesitng to know if either of these is true. I've aeen an accident in Bangkok, and heard the noise of one in Pattaya. For 4 years that's a lot events.

Everything is relative. But you're seriously thinking that riding a bicycle w/ no lights in Pattaya in the middle of the night is as safe as riding a car on the same route? Not to say motorbike--at least it would have lights. 

Better stick to taxis and baht buses man. Go to bed early.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, LawrenceN said:

False. Cyclists have the same rights (and responsibilities) on roads as motor vehicles. The bit about taxes is your opinion, not a fact. Most of us also drive and do pay road taxes. And I have lived in places where I have paid for a bicycle license, without complaint.

Good luck arguing the toss with the business end of a pick-up driven by Sombat off his face on Meth.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Hal65 said:

Where did you get yours from? I assume it looks like this?

bike-lane-light1-640x533.jpg

Almost the same , the 2 red stripes and a flashing red light .  With turning light and remote control 

This is the model I bought from Lazada. 

Bicycle-Tail-Light-64-LED-Wireless-Laser

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/jowsua-bicycle-turn-light-i106877476-s107934692.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.1.374053a62g0PD8&search=1

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

Everything is relative. But you're seriously thinking that riding a bicycle w/ no lights in Pattaya in the middle of the night is as safe as riding a car on the same route? Not to say motorbike--at least it would have lights. 

Better stick to taxis and baht buses man. Go to bed early.

I would think a car with no lights is much more dangerous. I once saw a motorcycle around that time, also near tuk com. Must have been going 60 km/h and no lights. I could hear it but it took a second of focusing to see it. That guy is going to have a very expensive episode at some point.

Bikes are at least slow and off to the side. Except of course, when they're not (as in my case)

4 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

What countries are you talking about as for the legal tinted film?

Different countries have different laws and some countries do not have any laws about tinted windows

6 minutes ago, Hal65 said:

I would think a car with no lights is much more dangerous. I once saw a motorcycle around that time, also near tuk com. Must have been going 60 km/h and no lights. I could hear it but it took a second of focusing to see it. That guy is going to have a very expensive episode at some point.

Bikes are at least slow and off to the side. Except of course, when they're not (as in my case)

Presumably if you were driving a car you'd turn on the lights, unless no-lights-at-night is just a thing w/ you. Or if riding in one you might suggest the driver to turn on the lights if he hasn't.

Most bikes turn on their lights automatically whenever you start them, though our pedants may mention some exceptions. Avoid the latter.

45 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

What countries are you talking about as for the legal tinted film?

Different countries have different laws and some countries do not have any laws about tinted windows

Thailand of course !

I cannot find the info back, but I think that no film darker than 25% attenuation can be use on windscreen

and you see many that are nearly dark, probably 60% or more !

2 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

Thailand of course !

I cannot find the info back, but I think that no film darker than 25% attenuation can be use on windscreen

and you see many that are nearly dark, probably 60% or more !

Ok, Thailand window tinting laws. Anything that you want to put on because no one gives a s**t and no one is going to book you or arrest you. So Thailand no laws on window tinting.

...read between the lines and see how vile some of these individuals are...

..are we brave of foolish thinking we can 'bridge the gap'...'surmount differences'...

...ask the woman busted for washing dead coral she purchased from a Thai who has probably been doing it for years...

10 hours ago, oldlakey said:

That info is only released on a need to know basis and you dont need to know

10 hours ago, oldlakey said:

That info is only released on a need to know basis and you dont need to know

Quite right too!

Coincidentally I go out at 4 0 am and meet up with my Texan buddy at 5 0 am whose name is "Lakey"

Could it be that you are my texan buddy or is this just a coincidence? ha ha ha 

6 hours ago, Cranky said:

Your laser light does nothing but dazzle car drivers, just like some tit driving with main beams on.  It should be pushbikers responsibility to get out of the bloody way, and that does not mean riding on the path.  You have the same rights as pedestrians, skateboarders, segways and hoverboarders on  the highway: None till you start paying road tax and have insurance.  

Crackpot! No actually your name describes you admirably

Edited by n210mp

1 hour ago, balo said:

Almost the same , the 2 red stripes and a flashing red light .  With turning light and remote control 

This is the model I bought from Lazada. 

Bicycle-Tail-Light-64-LED-Wireless-Laser

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/jowsua-bicycle-turn-light-i106877476-s107934692.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.1.374053a62g0PD8&search=1

I bought three sent two back, didn't work the third stopped working after a week

1 hour ago, SOTIRIOS said:

...read between the lines and see how vile some of these individuals are...

..are we brave of foolish thinking we can 'bridge the gap'...'surmount differences'...

...ask the woman busted for washing dead coral she purchased from a Thai who has probably been doing it for years...

The cool thing about other countries is that they have no vile individuals.

52 minutes ago, n210mp said:

I bought three sent two back, didn't work the third stopped working after a week

From same company ?  Very unlucky then.

Had mine for 6 months and still works , charge the battery with the USB plug every 2 weeks. 

9 hours ago, essox essox said:

seems strange going out at such a late time, or early time whichever way one wants to look at it

I can remember going out on a friday and getting home on a sunday

I do use the word remember quite loosely 

I am well into my third marriage mind you, so I dont recommend it or do it anymore

You were riding your bicycle in the dark with no lights on it. 100% your fault you should be paying for any scratches to her car and paying to fix your own bike. My suggestion is to stay off the road if it is dark until you comply with the law and get yourself a light and stop whinging. You are lucky you were not more seriously injured or even killed.

You broke the law not her.

I would have waited for the police to come and have you charged

Edited by Russell17au
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Russell17au said:

Ok, Thailand window tinting laws. Anything that you want to put on because no one gives a s**t and no one is going to book you or arrest you. So Thailand no laws on window tinting.

40% is the legal limit for at least 15 years.

And it seems from this article that tint on the windscreen is prohibited.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Laws-should-be-more-realistic-effective-30188456.html

Edited by janclaes47

2 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

40% is the legal limit for at least 15 years

Who gives a s**t and enforces the laws in Thailand, just remember where you are and who enforces the laws of the road.

Speed limits, parking, give way, stop at stop signs, overtaking, need I continue, who enforces the laws, no one because no one gives a s**t about the laws. There are no laws because no one will get off their ass and enforce them

• Like 1