Is work permit possible on Retirement Extension

Anything is possible but a work permit would not normally be issued on a retirement extension of stay.  If married to a Thai that type extension can normally be used.  Otherwise you would need a normal B visa and if and when paperwork available from employment obtain extension of that.  Employer cooperation and knowledge is key.  

Most work permit offices will accept not a work permit application when you have an extension based upon retirement.

Most people have to leave the country to get a tourist visa or visa exempt entry to get the application accepted to obtain a work permit application approval letter and then go out for a non-b visa.

Or you could leave the country for about a week or more so the your employer could do a WP3 work permit application and apply for the non-b visa.

• Confused 1

32 minutes ago, edwardflory said:

The ONLY work permitted on retirement extension is as a volunteer for a  government agency or government sanctioned program and you ARE issued a ID card ← that is the work permit, valid for agency or program work ONLY

Interesting!

Is there a "dedicated" website where such "jobs" are being advertised?

44 minutes ago, edwardflory said:

The ONLY work permitted on retirement extension is as a volunteer for a  government agency or government sanctioned program and you ARE issued a ID card ← that is the work permit, valid for agency or program work ONLY

Not necessarily true - I know someone who has been working for years with a retirement visa. They also have a valid work permit, but their ability to stay in the Kingdom is based on their retirement visa. Actually, they assumed they would need to leave and re-enter Thailand with a "suitable' visa, but this wasn't required. BTW, this person is working in education and has extensive experience and credentials in this area. 

It would be more accurate to say that there are exceptions to the "rule" regarding employment, and that anyone concerned would be advised to test the waters instead of assuming it is impossible. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, b17 said:

Not necessarily true - I know someone who has been working for years with a retirement visa. They also have a valid work permit, but their ability to stay in the Kingdom is based on their retirement visa. Actually, they assumed they would need to leave and re-enter Thailand with a "suitable' visa, but this wasn't required. BTW, this person is working in education and has extensive experience and credentials in this area. 

It would be more accurate to say that there are exceptions to the "rule" regarding employment, and that anyone concerned would be advised to test the waters instead of assuming it is impossible. 

Some labour offices wiil issue a WP on a retirement extension.

That's why earlier I posted talk to them, not Immigration, not the company.

I have in the past seen a photo of a retirement extension with 

'employment prohibited' stamped on it so that obviously would be a factor.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, leddie said:

Sorry if I am more confused now.  I will try to check as advised by some.  My understanding from others though was that there would be not need to leave the country, which seems to be contradicted above.

The need to leave the country or not depends on the labor office you deal with.

If your labor office would allow you to get a work permit while on a retirement extension, there would be no need to leave the country.

It's more likely that they would not be willing to do it, in which case, if you still want to work,  you would need to leave the country to get the appropriate visa, as detailed in UJ's post.

16 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Most people have to leave the country to get a tourist visa or visa exempt entry to get the application accepted to obtain a work permit application approval letter and then go out for a non-b visa.

Or you could leave the country for about a week or more so the your employer could do a WP3 work permit application and apply for the non-b visa.

When I wanted to convert from my extension based on retirement to an extension based on work permit, I was told by Chaeng Wattana Immigration to exit the country and obtain a Non-B, return to get the work permit, then apply for the extension based on the work permit. They said there was no other way.

28 minutes ago, timendres said:

When I wanted to convert from my extension based on retirement to an extension based on work permit, I was told by Chaeng Wattana Immigration to exit the country and obtain a Non-B, return to get the work permit, then apply for the extension based on the work permit. They said there was no other way.

Read my posts.

That's why I said ask your local labour office.

Immigration have no input or idea and have nothing to do with work permits and I don't care if the Queen of Sheeba told you.

The labour office require a non Imm' visa or extension to issue a WP. An O-A is the exception.

16 hours ago, overherebc said:

Read my posts.

Immigration have no input or idea and have nothing to do with work permits and I don't care if the Queen of Sheeba told you.

The labour office require a non Imm' visa or extension to issue a WP. An O-A is the exception.

Do you know of any specific offices in Bangkok where this is possible or is it totally hit and miss?

5 minutes ago, leddie said:

Do you know of any specific offices in Bangkok where this is possible or is it totally hit and miss?

I doubt that there is any work permit office in Bangkok that will do it. All you can do is to ask them or submit an application.

6 minutes ago, leddie said:

Bangkok I honestly don't know. My experience has generally been Rayong and Chonburi. The main office for Bkk I believe is around Viphavidi Rangsit road area

I did managed to get a work permit on a retirement extension several years ago in Bangkok. It was for being a director for my company. When I moved the company to Chiang Mai, the labor office there told me no way and I had to change my extension status to marriage. 

20 hours ago, overherebc said:

Read my posts.

The OP asked how to change his retirement extension to obtain a work permit. Which was exactly what I did. I was simply reporting my experience at Chaeng Wattana. I did not consult with the Queen of Sheeba.