Should I take my passport to Bangkok with me

juice777

No. Absolutely not. The only time my passport is NOT in my safe, is when I am leaving the country, or going to immigration. At all other times, I have a photo of my passport and visa page on my phone, and a color copy of my passport and visa page in my wallet. That has always been sufficient. It has been stated repeatedly by officials, that an original passport is not required. This is not Nazi Germany. A Thai drivers license also helps. But, why carry your passport and take that risk, if it is not necessary. I would never, ever do that.
To late now

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

53 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

I have never been stopped but the laminated card is accepted at hotels - and by currency exchange booths.

Thai driving license also accepted at hotels (5 yearly one)

21 minutes ago, CGW said:

Thai driving license also accepted at hotels (5 yearly one)

Most hotels.......there are a few exceptions.

My argument is that the passport number is on the reverse of the D/L (in my case it is my previous passport number :smile: )

One hotel said they needed to see my immigration stamp...

10 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Most hotels.......there are a few exceptions.

My argument is that the passport number is on the reverse of the D/L (in my case it is my previous passport number :smile: )

Put it another way, by law your DL is sufficient proof of identity, I'm sure there will be some hotels that have no idea of legal requirements!

2 minutes ago, CGW said:

Put it another way, by law your DL is sufficient proof of identity, I'm sure there will be some hotels that have no idea of legal requirements!

A passport is the required form of ID for a foreigner and hotels are required to report that passport information to immigration for registered guests.   Normal police will likely accept alternate forms of ID if not detained but once detained a passport with proof of legal stay may be required to be released.  Immigration police have full authority to demand show of passport and they may accompany local police in sweeps.

31 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

My experience too.

They want to see whether I am legal.

They even searched for the departure card.

To my knowledge these data are necessary for reporting to immigration.

Of course, this is Thailand and enforcing the rules is not a strong point.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Jip99 said:

Caveat emptor......

Pay your money and take your choice....... weigh up the convenience of not having your PP against  the inconv  of incarceration whilst someone accesses your PP and takes it to Bangkok.

Personally, I would take it just to be on the safe side..... even though the risks are minimal. 

If if you are staying over at a hotel, they may insist on seeing your PP.

If you do not have your passport, you will not be allowed to book into the Nana Hotel.

From a personal point, I do not agree with the Thai law which says you must always carry your passport with you, so I will not carry my passport with me. I will take my chances with my motorbike license as it has my passport no on it, IMO that is sufficient, so that is the way it will be.

21 hours ago, juice777 said:

I am coming back on the same day or I would definitely take it. I suppose I will just have to take a bag to carry my passport in how ridiculous.

How some people insist they must obey all laws or rules I just do not understand. Why bother getting up in the morning if that's the case? Surely one cannot go through life being afraid to take any chances at times.

21 hours ago, juice777 said:

I am coming back on the same day or I would definitely take it. I suppose I will just have to take a bag to carry my passport in how ridiculous.

No way you can guarantee you'll be coming back. Might be involved in an accident, and end up in hospital. Will need passport.

OR

might run into an old friend and decide to stay overnight.

OR

might get accused of littering on Sukhumvit.

I carry mine in a money belt. Too easy for it to be stolen or forgotten if in a bag.

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

My experience too.

They want to see whether I am legal.

They even searched for the departure card.

To my knowledge these data are necessary for reporting to immigration.

Of course, this is Thailand and enforcing the rules is not a strong point.

Most places will comply with TM 30 reporting.

4 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

How some people insist they must obey all laws or rules I just do not understand. Why bother getting up in the morning if that's the case? Surely one cannot go through life being afraid to take any chances at times.

True... but maybe not as cavalier and blatantly lawless as some of your actions!  :smile:  :smile:

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Don't you have a shirt or pants with pocket big enough for a passport?  If worried about wear on passport the normal Thai bank account plastic holder fits most.  

Even if you do have a pocket big enough, how easy is it for someone to steal it? Just get a laminated card, or a copy of the necessary passport pages. Like I said, you have to take some chances in life, or just stay in bed.

11 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

True... but maybe not as cavalier and blatantly lawless as some of your actions!  :smile:  :smile:

I have broken rules and laws all my life. I do see the need for laws, but some are just plain stupid. Just because something is law does not necessary mean it is right,  but I never break any laws that are to the detriment of ordinary people.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, possum1931 said:

I have broken rules and laws all my life. I do see the need for laws, but some are just plain stupid. Just because something is law does not necessary mean it is right,  but I never break any laws that are to the detriment of ordinary people.

I am not sure that they were intended for you to act as "God" in determining which ones you allowed to be applied to you......

A bit like the 10 Commandments having a caveat at the bottom............."It's OK Possum, you can choose the ones you want to use".

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Not surprised when they charge 123 Baht for a small CHANG (3 years ago).

Not being a drinker I would not know about that, the only crib I have with the Nana is their wifi can suck at times. Sorry for going off topic there.

3 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

I am not sure that they were intended for you to act as "God" in determining which ones you allowed to be applied to you......

A bit like the 10 Commandments having a caveat at the bottom............."It's OK Possum, you can choose the ones you want to use".

If they can act as God, then so can I.:laugh:

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Not in the Nana Hotel it isn't.

Quite believable! the reason I am saying that driving license is acceptable is because on more than one occasion I have had to check in without a passport, every time into large 4/5 star hotels each time they told me I had to have it or cannot check in! each time a senior member of staff has been called who told the reception staff that DL was acceptable. The reason I had no passport was because it was in a "embassy" for a visa, which usually was my reason for being in Bangkok.

Personally I never carry my passport, in the thirty years I have been here never been asked to produce outside of 'normal' usage, to lug a passport around all the time would be an utter pain for me, I'm paranoid enough when traveling that I will lose or misplace it.

• Like 1

Not being a drinker I would not know about that, the only crib I have with the Nana is their wifi can suck at times. Sorry for going off topic there.
That's OK mate no need to apologise.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

If they can act as God, then so can I.:laugh:

Now, THAT is a genuine 'God Complex'    :laugh:

Even Moses was only acting as agent........

Edited by Jip99
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

OP, most hotels want to see your passport when checking in. They have to do it to pass the information over to the immigration. Next problem is the police and the crack downs on foreigners.

Why don't you buy a little bag you can wear around your neck? 

Passport-Holder-Travel-Wallet-Hidden-Belt-Neck-Pouch-RFID-Blocking-Safe-Case-Phone-Cover-Coin-Organizer.jpg_640x640.jpg

18 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Now, THAT is a genuine 'God Complex'    :laugh:

Even Moses was only acting as agent........

I'm still looking for somebody who can turn water into wine. Good salary, free housing.....:shock1:

Edited by jenny2017

If you have a Thai drivers license it has your passport number.  If driving yourself or with

others should be ok with a copy. If your email going by bus better carry your passport. I’ve seen

many articles of buses being stopped for checks. 

A year or or so ago I was stopped by police in rural town almost everyday I drove moto there. Was asked

for drivers license (I have Thai) and sometimes car registration and  insurance. But never asked for passport in two years I’ve lived here. 

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Even if you do have a pocket big enough, how easy is it for someone to steal it? Just get a laminated card, or a copy of the necessary passport pages. Like I said, you have to take some chances in life, or just stay in bed.

From your front pocket? Or in a buttoned or zipper pocket on shorts or jeans? Not likely. A passport is small  enough to fit into a pocket. Why all this fuss? It’s just a day out of Pattaya. 

• Sad 1