Should I take my passport to Bangkok with me

juice777

I am going to Bangkok tomorrow from pattaya and back again the same night. I will be having a few beers and don't plan on Taking a bag. Its a right pain to carry my passport and I am worried about losing it. But will I get into any serious trouble I know the chances of anyone asking to see it is slim but you never know I have a UK provisional Driving licence (which I got just for ID for Thailand) and I am going to take pics of my passport will that be enough on off chance a police man ask to see it.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Police can hold you until passport is presented so when traveling outside your normal city I would normally advise having it.  You would have to be very unlucky but having a few beers comment might slightly increase your chance of a check these days.  

• Like 1

Caveat emptor......

Pay your money and take your choice....... weigh up the convenience of not having your PP against  the inconv  of incarceration whilst someone accesses your PP and takes it to Bangkok.

Personally, I would take it just to be on the safe side..... even though the risks are minimal. 

If if you are staying over at a hotel, they may insist on seeing your PP.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Caveat emptor......

Pay your money and take your choice....... weigh up the convenience of not having your PP against  the inconv  of incarceration whilst someone accesses your PP and takes it to Bangkok.

Personally, I would take it just to be on the safe side..... even though the risks are minimal. 

If if you are staying over at a hotel, they may insist on seeing your PP.

I am coming back on the same day or I would definitely take it. I suppose I will just have to take a bag to carry my passport in how ridiculous.

3 minutes ago, juice777 said:

I am coming back on the same day or I would definitely take it. I suppose I will just have to take a bag to carry my passport in how ridiculous.

Don't you have a shirt or pants with pocket big enough for a passport?  If worried about wear on passport the normal Thai bank account plastic holder fits most.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have a small light wallet with a shoulder strap which I can wear under my shirt and is completely concealed. When I feel there is a need to carry my passport, which is not very often, that's how I do it.

Neat, simple solution.

Normally I carry a laminated copy, as suggested by Jip above.

Edited by Moonlover
  • Like 1

Don't you have a shirt or pants with pocket big enough for a passport?  If worried about wear on passport the normal Thai bank account plastic holder fits most.  

I was going to ware my jeans and and trainers I suppose I could ware some combat shorts instead.

For a trip from Pattaya to Bangkok without overnight in a hotel you could take the risk and rely on copies.

I would not do it if I'd wanted to overnight in a hotel.

As others wrote, proper hotels want to see passport (and departure card), take the details and report to immigration as it is their duty. I doubt they would be satisfied with copies.

I don't carry my passport on normal day trips by car.

It's normally locked up in the safe.

But I always carry my passport on multi day trips by car or plane.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

I have a small light wallet with a shoulder strap which I can wear under my shirt and is completely concealed. When I feel there is a need to carry my passport, which is not very often, that's how I do it.

Neat, simple solution.

Normally I carry a laminated copy, as suggested by Jip above.

But is a laminated copy still a copy and not any different from a pic on a phone?

• Confused 1

I never normally carry my passport unless travelling internationally, I keep it nearby like in a hotel.

As you're probably not going to stay in a hotel I would suggest carrying it with you for the day.

If you are stopped they are going to want to see it, this is not normally an issue if it's in a hotel just down the road. Having someone go and get it and bring it to you is much harder when you're further away. Take it with you.

I never normally carry my passport unless travelling internationally, I keep it nearby like in a hotel.

As you're probably not going to stay in a hotel I would suggest carrying it with you for the day.

If you are stopped they are going to want to see it, this is not normally an issue if it's in a hotel just down the road. Having someone go and get it and bring it to you is much harder when you're further away. Take it with you.

Yeah will do probably the best thing to do.

15 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

As others wrote, proper hotels want to see passport (and departure card),

I dont know if they would all be called proper but in years past as long as I had Thai Drivers license

I was never questioned

Then again my passport number is on the Thai drivers license

• Like 1

I lived in Phuket, Surat Thani and now over 2 years in Bangkok, never been checked by the police. You could be very unlucky though.
Yes I have only been checked 2 times in 16 years and both times last year on a bus.

I decided to ware my combat shorts and put my passport in there. I ant going anywhere posh anyway.

18 minutes ago, thrilled said:

I never take my passport anywhere in Thailand.I carry A copy of it everywhere I go.

I have been doing it for years.The only time I carry it is when I fly from one area to another.

I am curious to hear if anyone carrying a laminated copy of the data page has been stopped, then told that the copy was not sufficient.

23 minutes ago, thrilled said:

I never take my passport anywhere in Thailand.I carry A copy of it everywhere I go.

I have been doing it for years.The only time I carry it is when I fly from one area to another.

+1

Photo ID will also suffice for domestic flights.

Edited by Jip99

4 minutes ago, elgenon said:

I am curious to hear if anyone carrying a laminated copy of the data page has been stopped, then told that the copy was not sufficient.

I have never been stopped but the laminated card is accepted at hotels - and by currency exchange booths.

• Like 1

I have never been stopped but the laminated card is accepted at hotels - and by currency exchange booths.

Is that so Is it credit card size and do you get your Visa done as well?

1 minute ago, juice777 said:

Is that so Is it credit card size and do you get your Visa done as well?

Yes... passport ID page on one side, extension on the other .

Less than 100 Baht from a print shop on 3rd road.... almost opposite Soi Lengkee not far from the Boxing Roo.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Police can hold you until passport is presented so when traveling outside your normal city I would normally advise having it.  You would have to be very unlucky but having a few beers comment might slightly increase your chance of a check these days.  

Good point. I went to Villa market for the first ever time on Wednesday. Very rarely venture to Bangkok, so took the passport, just in case. Locally, I don't carry it with me.

If you have to ask, take it with you!  If you change your mind and want to spend the night, most hotels will ask you for the passport. Personally, I carry a 1-page copy of my pp everywhere I go. Good luck and Enjoy!!
It's in my pocket now I am nearly in Bangkok

No. Absolutely not. The only time my passport is NOT in my safe, is when I am leaving the country, or going to immigration. At all other times, I have a photo of my passport and visa page on my phone, and a color copy of my passport and visa page in my wallet. That has always been sufficient. It has been stated repeatedly by officials, that an original passport is not required. This is not Nazi Germany. A Thai drivers license also helps. But, why carry your passport and take that risk, if it is not necessary. I would never, ever do that.