Latest requirements for SETV in Vientiane and Savannakhet

Hello, 

Not having been to Laos for quite a while, I was wondering what the latest requirements for a Thailand SETV are in either Vientiane, or Savannakhet.

Apologies if the requirements have been posted recently, alas regulations change, and I am especially interested in reports from 2018.

I take it, that I will need my passport, 2 photos, the application form, and 1,000 baht, but how about:

- a flight ticket to Thailand?

- a flight ticket out of Thailand after 60 days (or less)?

- a hotel booking in Thailand?

- copy of bank account with balance of 20,000 baht?

On a related note, what is the best way to travel from Vientiane Airport into town, and how much should I pay ("normal rate") for a tuk-tuk (2 persons) for a short-distance trip in Vientiane.

Thank you!

Vientiane does not ask for tickets, financial proof or a hotel booking.

Savannakhet wants to a ticket out within 90 days (by air, bus or train accepted) and the others you mentioned other than a ticket to Thailand.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

On a related note, what is the best way to travel from Vientiane Airport into town, and how much should I pay

You can get a taxi at the airport. It’s only a short ride into town. I can’t remember the cost but it’s not expensive. Avoid tuks tuks whenever you can, if you do use one don’t accept their first price.

1 hour ago, elviajero said:

You can get a taxi at the airport. It’s only a short ride into town. I can’t remember the cost but it’s not expensive. Avoid tuks tuks whenever you can, if you do use one don’t accept their first price.

Thanks. Good to know that there are regular taxis.

500 baht for a private taxi udon airport to the border. It's about 40 min ride.

In vientiane you just need your passport. In Savannakhet better you provide all of the following: bank statement, ticket out, hotel or lease.

Vientiane Airport to any Hotel, GH, downtown, 6 $, for normal Taxi. The driver will try to take you to a Hotel/GH, that he recommends (commission...), just say you've already booked...

I went to Savanakhet to get a tourist visa , I got an application form, filled that out, stuck some photos on that and got photocopies done .

I went to the window and handed that in , I had various other documents ready to be shown or given .

I  had read the documents required on the back of the application form . I was holding bank statements, accommodation proof   , waiting for her to ask for them to be seen .

She just closed the window and told me to come back the following day without asking for any further documents

As its my first TV from there , there were either being lenient in the documents needed or I shall be getting a visa refusal/void .

I gave them all my supporting documents (bank, hotel, ticket out) togheter with the application form.

First application for me too.

I'm afraid they will require you to provide some papers on Monday. Maybe not if you've got just one or two TV? I don't know. But you had the papers why you didn't give them?

Good luck anyway!

4 minutes ago, yuiop said:

I gave them all my supporting documents (bank, hotel, ticket out) togheter with the application form.

First application for me too.

I'm afraid they will require you to provide some papers on Monday. Maybe not if you've got just one or two TV? I don't know. But you had the papers why you didn't give them?

Good luck anyway!

On the visa application form, it doesnt say financial proof, hotel bookings etc is necessary to be provided and she didnt ask about them .

Providing them may also complicate the issue , having a Thai bank account and applying for a tourist visa could be a conflict of interests.

If she would have asked, I would have provided them , but she just closed the hatch and said come back on the day of collection .

Maybe theres some provisions for travelers/backpackers who dont have the documents ?

Anyway , time will tell

7 minutes ago, sanemax said:

On the visa application form, it doesnt say financial proof, hotel bookings etc is necessary to be provided and she didnt ask about them .

Providing them may also complicate the issue , having a Thai bank account and applying for a tourist visa could be a conflict of interests.

If she would have asked, I would have provided them , but she just closed the hatch and said come back on the day of collection .

Maybe theres some provisions for travelers/backpackers who dont have the documents ?

Anyway , time will tell

up to you

2 hours ago, sanemax said:

No there isn't, i'm surprised they didn't ask you for the documents you had, did they see them in your hand? You should have handed them all over at the same time as your application form

You may be very lucky and get the TV but if I were you I would prepare yourself to getting a voided stamp on your TV

Edited by darrendsd

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

having a Thai bank account and applying for a tourist visa could be a conflict of interests

Savannakhet and Phnom Penh had no issue with my Bangkok Bank book used as financial proof in the past.  The same for the 1-year condo-contract I used. 

I haven't seen reports of these being cause for denial of a TR visa at any location, yet.

They used to just deny on day one and not take any money.  Then, we got a report here of a "void" visa (first I recall at this location).  Your case may be instructive as to whether they are becoming more lax with people who don't have a lot of other TR Visas and/or Thai stamps in their passport, or if they are simply taking the money and issuing void-visas to those who don't supply the full document list.

1 hour ago, JackThompson said:

Your case may be instructive as to whether they are becoming more lax with people who don't have a lot of other TR Visas and/or Thai stamps in their passport, or if they are simply taking the money and issuing void-visas to those who don't supply the full document list.

I did supply all the documents which were stated as being necessary on the application form though .

1 hour ago, darrendsd said:

No there isn't, i'm surprised they didn't ask you for the documents you had, did they see them in your hand? You should have handed them all over at the same time as your application form

I had various different document and I was waiting for to ask which other documents she wanted and she just closed the hatch

Just now, sanemax said:

I had various different document and I was waiting for to ask which other documents she wanted and she just closed the hatch

It's not for them to ask you are responsible to give the documents to them

Just now, darrendsd said:

It's not for them to ask you are responsible to give the documents to them

I gave them all the documents stated as necessary on the application form , any other documents come under the "further documents may be requested" category 

10 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I gave them all the documents stated as necessary on the application form , any other documents come under the "further documents may be requested" category 

I'm sorry but you are a very regular poster here, you really should know that extra documents are required there and that they are required to be submitted with your application form, there has been numerous threads about this over the last year or so

Just now, darrendsd said:

I'm sorry but you are a very regular poster here, you really should know that extra documents are required there and that they are required to be submitted with your application form, there has been numerous threads about this over the last year or so

Are there any set requirements ? As they seem to change regularly and not always necessary and seem to differ from person to person . 

The application is also usually checked first and anything missing, is requested.

I was standing there with a handful of documents , like, what else do you want? and she just closed the hatch

^

You probably be okay, they can be more slack on some people, it the more serious obvious repeat setv or those who look so broke they struggle buy a bus ticket who may get hassle.

They do normally visually check and mark docs as handed in, see what happens ! if refused visa be super polite and mitigate your circumstances that you new to this and assumed if wanted more evidence they would request it at time of application and they maybe helpful !

Always best do belt and braces approach and give them all they likely ever request right off the start .

Don't queue up early for collection, turn up good 30-40 minutes after opening and then as not busy you have easier time talking with them if needed, plus don't have stand in sun in the queue like a pet lizard waiting for gate open ...

• Like 1

Are there any set requirements ? As they seem to change regularly and not always necessary and seem to differ from person to person . 

The application is also usually checked first and anything missing, is requested.

I was standing there with a handful of documents , like, what else do you want? and she just closed the hatch

Proof of at least 20K (Bank statement from either Thai or own country's Bank) Cannot be cash

Ticket out of Thailand, usually within 60 days, Plane Ticket advisable, it has also been reported that they will accept a bus ticket

Proof of accommodation in Thailand, length of stay is unclear but most posters here advise at least a week

Over the last year or so there have been no reports that I know of  of people getting the TV without showing all of the above 

You will have to hope you are lucky

• Like 1

1 hour ago, darrendsd said:

Proof of at least 20K (Bank statement from either Thai or own country's Bank) Cannot be cash

Ticket out of Thailand, usually within 60 days, Plane Ticket advisable, it has also been reported that they will accept a bus ticket

Proof of accommodation in Thailand, length of stay is unclear but most posters here advise at least a week

Over the last year or so there have been no reports that I know of  of people getting the TV without showing all of the above 

No, this is what it states on the application form , no mention of anything else

HOW TO APPLY FOR VISA 4.1 Complete and sign ONE application form. 4.2 Submit with the duly completed form : -Your passporVtravel documents which should be valid for at least SIX MONTHS from the date of application; - A photo copy of your Passport, - TWO recent photographs, Appropriate fees (See 5).

No, this is what it states on the application form , no mention of anything else

HOW TO APPLY FOR VISA 4.1 Complete and sign ONE application form. 4.2 Submit with the duly completed form : -Your passporVtravel documents which should be valid for at least SIX MONTHS from the date of application; - A photo copy of your Passport, - TWO recent photographs, Appropriate fees (See 5).

That what may appear on the forms however the reality is different

I suggest that you read through the numerous threads on this subject

To get visa one does not need to be regular reader on thaivisa.

Since he submitted application with paperwork what it states on the form and was not asked anything else, he will most likely get the visa..

Edited by thaitero
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, thaitero said:

To get visa one does not need to be regular reader on thaivisa.

Since he submitted application with paperwork what it states on the form and was not asked anything else, he will most likely get the visa..

No of course you don't, however he has 6000 posts, he obviously is a reader

FYI submitting a application with paperwork does not guarantee that you will get the visa

Let's hope he is lucky

They should update application paperwork as that been same for probably 5yrs, although they do have a notice outside gate and on noticeboard inside with required supporting docs, but a first time guy likely miss that if not really doing a belts and braces type approach to an application .

Generally if they take your passport and fee you get visa so hopefully he will, other scenario is girl was bit lapse and checked nothing, they normally check everything and highlight pen details such as account statement balance and name, if has no name on statement want further proof it your account etc .

19 minutes ago, sanemax said:

This is MY reality, what is yours?

DSCF1910.JPG

The reality is you were very lucky

There are NUMEROUS threads on this forum about what is now required there, have you read them?? You must have seen them because you took what is required, you admitted that yourself, even another poster on this thread said he had to give them all the extra documents

You were lucky, nothing more

Edited by darrendsd

24 minutes ago, darrendsd said:

The reality is you were very lucky

There are NUMEROUS threads on this forum about what is now required there, have you read them?? You must have seen them because you took what is required, you admitted that yourself, even another poster on this thread said he had to give them all the extra documents

You were lucky, nothing more

There was a bit more to it, than just being "lucky"

I dont want too say too much on a public forum , otherwise everyone else will be trying their "luck :" , lets just say , that when I play cards , I hold them tightly too my chest , so that no one else can see my hand .