can't connect to websites directly

candoman89

ok, so I am a neophyte when it comes to computers.  Yesterday my computer, for some totally unknown reason, stopped connecting to some websites directly.  let me explain.

I have chrome on windows 10 with a dell computer.  usually when I want to connect to a website I just type the website into the  address window and hit enter.  Yesterday it stopped connecting for some strange reason, but not for all sites.  I get an error message  that says

This site can’t be reached

thaivisa.com took too long to respond.

ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT

but when I search google (that site works usually) and click on the link for the site I want to go to, it works.

Can anybody offer some DETAILED instructions on what to do to fix it?  I say detailed in bold underlined italics because it can't be assumed I will understand what you are talking about.

FYI after living in this country for  15+ years I upgraded my computer and bought all legal software (windows, office, adobe) and have never had so many software problems in my life.  kMaybe I sould go back to Pantip and  get the pirated stuff..

and please don't suggest different software, I am a neophyte.  (the problem also occurs with internet explorer).

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Cando

ThaiVisa often have that problem, for me in Bangkok. 

To see the ThaiVisa site (or any other site) isn't online, you could easily check with the Ping command: 

1. press WinKey + R and type cmd [Enter] in upcoming screen
  2. type in that new upcoming screen: ping thaivisa.com [Enter]
  3. and you should get like Main_O_40.png

If the site you like to check isn't online, you would get an error message. You could use that command for any site you like to test to be online.

You might also want to verify what DNS your ROUTER and/or COMPUTER are using.  DNS is what the Internet uses to change the url you type in (thaivisa.com) into an addressable IP (104.18.44.104 or 104.18.45.104). 

There have been some issues in the past there HACKERS have gained access home routers (via known backdoor methods) and manually set the router's DNS Server entry to issue rogue DNS IP addresses to connecting devices.

A quick test to see if you are experiencing DNS issues it temporarily change your Internet Connection setting from Automatic and manually set it to use the public GOOGLE DNS IPs of 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

6 hours ago, ArnonK said:

ThaiVisa often have that problem, for me in Bangkok. 

To see the ThaiVisa site (or any other site) isn't online, you could easily check with the Ping command: 

1. press WinKey + R and type cmd [Enter] in upcoming screen
  2. type in that new upcoming screen: ping thaivisa.com [Enter]
  3. and you should get like Main_O_40.png

If the site you like to check isn't online, you would get an error message. You could use that command for any site you like to test to be online.

With ping you check if the server is reachable which is not necessarily the same as the website.

The "solution" is not very detailed but it often does the job:

Option A: Wait and try again later.

Option B: Restart your PC, router, etc. and try again

There are many reasons why a website might not work in one moment. Only some of these problems are related to your computer or your router, etc.

Many people <deleted> up their system because they try to fix something which is not fixable on their system at that moment.

With all these detailed how to on the internet in some forums you change this and that and a lot of things and maybe (often likely) people change something which was not broken before.

And if the website is working again on the computer you often don't really know if the problem was the computer of the website (or network or whatever).

If the website does not work even after hours or days and if the website works on another computer on the same network then it's time to look for the problem on that PC. Don't fix something if it is not broken - especially if you don't know how to do that. A checklist list is often not good enough.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

The "solution" is not very detailed but it often does the job:

Option A: Wait and try again later.

Option B: Restart your PC, router, etc. and try again

There are many reasons why a website might not work in one moment. Only some of these problems are related to your computer or your router, etc.

Many people f$#% up their system because they try to fix something which is not fixable on their system at that moment.

With all these detailed how to on the internet in some forums you change this and that and a lot of things and maybe (often likely) people change something which was not broken before.

And if the website is working again on the computer you often don't really know if the problem was the computer of the website (or network or whatever).

If the website does not work even after hours or days and if the website works on another computer on the same network then it's time to look for the problem on that PC. Don't fix something if it is not broken - especially if you don't know how to do that. A checklist list is often not good enough.

Imagine that, went to bed, woke up and now  all the websites are  reachable.

but I learned some things about pinging and other info above.

Thanks all for  your advice.

Cando

Yesterday, for me it seemed like a major DNS issue, as in the DNS servers I was using (Google/8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4) were unreachable.

I switched to my ISPs default DNS servers and was fine.

Switched back to Google this morning, all is fine.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

With ping you check if the server is reachable which is not necessarily the same as the website.

That's true, but in the first line, if a Web Server could not be loaded, I would like to know if the Web Server is still accessible over the Internet,  and that's what the Ping result is showing. Regarding the Out of ThaiVisa, many times its CloudFlare which shows the Server isn't reachable, and a Ping could show a bit more info about a may physical down and/or a Software problem. The latter could be from the Firewall of CloudFlare, the software of the Web Server or the Forum. 

There is also the command tracert which could be used for some info like:

Main_O_42.png

17 hours ago, ArnonK said:

If the site you like to check isn't online, you would get an error message.

Not quite.

Nowadays many (or some) websites do not allow the ping response anymore.

Might be a result from one of the potentially worst server leaks in all time ("heartbleed").

Example

Can you ping this?:

ping www.de-cix.net

I can't.

Can you open it in the browser?

http://www.de-cix.net

I can.

BTW: de-cix now peaking over 6 Tbit/s !

https://www.de-cix.net/en/locations/germany/frankfurt/statistics

Edited by KhunBENQ

22 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Not quite.

Might be a result from one of the potentially worst server leaks in all time ("heartbleed").

Example

Can you ping this?:

ping www.de-cix.net

I can't.

I can.

That's true, thanks for the reminder. So, I also tested a bit more using the other link you provided for downforeveryoneorjust me with de-cix.net and:

Main_O_43.png

and also done a tracert:

Main_O_44.png

Both Ping and Tracert will not show full data, tracert only the de-cix.net Master DNS address, not the servers IP.

But that's understandable for a high-security site, similar to CloudFlare.

41 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Not quite.

Example

Can you ping this?:

ping www.de-cix.net

I can't.

I can.

OP should probably ping his fave sites while he can access them and see if it currently works for them or not. There's always a next time. :smile: