How Long From Phuket to Bangkok

racyrick

42 minutes ago, stevenl said:

It normally takes me about 10 hours. I drive 110-120, and take a break every 2,5-3 hours or so.

This is a good average figure for that speed.

Which day of the week you travel on, which area of Bangkok your destination is and what time of day you leave Phuket can affect the time significantly. 

• Like 1

takes me an average of 10-11 hours, ( 120-130 kms/hour), usually leave Phuket in the morning,stop a few tmes for gas,coffee and stop in Cha am for the night ( 8 -9 hours)

than the next day onwards, also depends on where u are heading in Bangkok and what time....

Monday-thursday... (dont want to be in Cham am on friday/sat night) to busy.

With two of us driving left the southern end of the island (one hour to bridge) at 4am and was in BKK at 4pm. If you want to relax on the way stop for the night and a nice breakfast in Cha am. Be careful arriving in BKK during rush hour or you will be crawling at 5kph.

On 3/18/2018 at 5:25 PM, NobbyClarkey said:

Bus is easier, cheaper, less stressful and relaxing

.... and not what he asked.

To the Op- I have no need to race around these days. I find its approx 3.5 hrs to Surat Thani then another 3 hrs or so up to Pran Buri where I stop for the night. I have done Hkt Bkk in ten hours before but wouldn't want to navigate Bangkok whilst tired. Anywhere from PKK up is fine to stop and it's broken the back of the journey for the next day. 

I average 100- 120 kph but am happy at the lower end of this as I'm not in a rush. Plenty of PTT stations on the way so you are normally guaranteed clean porcelain and a 7-11 as well- always a bonus.  I also tend to chuck a cool box in the truck. There are a couple of big tescos on the way - again handy for clean porcelain and food.

I do know someone who did Hkt-Bkk and back in 20 hrs when the airports were closed but that is just madness. No way would I want to drive at the speeds he was doing.  This is not  an 'I heard from a mate, of a mate' anecdote- I heard him leave approx 0630 and get back about 0230 the next morning.

25 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

.... and not what he asked.

To the Op- I have no need to race around these days. I find its approx 3.5 hrs to Surat Thani then another 3 hrs or so up to Pran Buri where I stop for the night. I have done Hkt Bkk in ten hours before but wouldn't want to navigate Bangkok whilst tired. Anywhere from PKK up is fine to stop and it's broken the back of the journey for the next day. 

I average 100- 120 kph but am happy at the lower end of this as I'm not in a rush. Plenty of PTT stations on the way so you are normally guaranteed clean porcelain and a 7-11 as well- always a bonus.  I also tend to chuck a cool box in the truck. There are a couple of big tescos on the way - again handy for clean porcelain and food.

I do know someone who did Hkt-Bkk and back in 20 hrs when the airports were closed but that is just madness. No way would I want to drive at the speeds he was doing.  This is not  an 'I heard from a mate, of a mate' anecdote- I heard him leave approx 0630 and get back about 0230 the next morning.

Thanks for the info. 

Do you remember the highway numbers you took from Phuket to Bangkok?

Once you reach Bangkok, is there any sort of 'park and ride' possibility, where one can park on the periphery of the city and take public transport, or even a taxi, into the centre?

I wouldn't mind the long drive to Bangkok but I'd prefer the freedom without a car in the city, once I got there.

On 3/21/2018 at 1:01 PM, racyrick said:

Thanks for the info. 

Do you remember the highway numbers you took from Phuket to Bangkok?

I go 4, 415, 401 to Surat Thani then up the 41 to Chumphon, where it becomes the 4 again. All the way up to Pak Tho and hang a right to Bkk on the 35. Others will overshoot the 415 and take the 44 to Surat Thani but I prefer the former- there are still a few sections of single carriageway but they aren't that much of a pain.

On 3/21/2018 at 5:31 PM, Tapster said:

Once you reach Bangkok, is there any sort of 'park and ride' possibility, where one can park on the periphery of the city and take public transport, or even a taxi, into the centre?

I wouldn't mind the long drive to Bangkok but I'd prefer the freedom without a car in the city, once I got there.

Spin round the 9 and park in the long term airport car park then train in? Or pick a superstore on the 9 close to a train route and park.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2018 at 3:35 PM, madmitch said:

If you have a Thai passenger the journey will take significantly longer due to the increased number of eating, toilet and 7-Eleven stops plus additional time spent at roadside stalls selling fruit, vegetables, fish, or any other produce. 

I did a (far too long) journey once from Hkt to Phitsanalok - her head hit the door frame at kathu and raised up again about Nakon Sawan- must be a record!

There is a reason I prefer to drive alone.

Edited by Psimbo

1 hour ago, Psimbo said:

I go 4, 415, 401 to Surat Thani then up the 41 to Chumphon, where it becomes the 4 again. All the way up to Pak Tho and hang a right to Bkk on the 35. Others will overshoot the 415 and take the 44 to Surat Thani but I prefer the former- there are still a few sections of single carriageway but they aren't that much of a pain.

Same for me. Quicker than the 44, plus I tend to drive this really early morning, Phuket departure around 05.00 hours, so not much traffic yet. Normally on the 41 around 08.00 hours.

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 12:28 PM, Psimbo said:

Thanks for the info!!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, racyrick said:

Thanks for the info!!

Alternative but not as quick is to go up to Ranong and then across to Chumphon just for a change. It's not as bad a road as it was with less visa run minibuses and the road widening north of Ranong must be virtually finished now.

I enjoyed the drive up through Khao Lak.

I haven't been that way for a couple of years now though.

18 hours ago, NamKangMan said:

It can take your life time.

Quicker and safer to fly.

Oh dear- I suppose baht buses would be the way ahead. :post-4641-1156694572:

I've done the trip many times without any hassle  whatsoever.