Animal rights group seeks action over abandoned dogs

rooster59

Animal rights group seeks action over abandoned dogs

By The Nation

86b30de5de379f9492b337e00a0e780a.jpeg

Photo from Watchdog Thailand Facebook page.

Watchdog Thailand has filed a complaint with police after people from a Chon Buri dog farm allegedly dumped 18 small-breed dogs at a temple in the eastern province.

The animal rights group filed a complaint with Saensuk police station on Friday, seeking legal action against an unnamed dog farm.

Watchdog Thailand posted the story and photos of the dogs on its Facebook wall on Friday. It said the farm had clearly violated Article 23 of the Animal Cruelty Act that prohibits owners from abandoning their pets.

The group said that among the 18 dogs dumped at the temple in Saensuk district were chihuahuas, pugs and pomeranians.

It said the abandoned dogs appeared sad and had injuries and skin problems. They were apparently abandoned because they could not be sold as pets after they became ill, the group said.

The group expressed concern that other dogs at the farm might be badly treated, so it urged police to act urgently.

It said the dogs would receive treatment and would then be offered for adoption.

Saensuk poilice chief Pol Colonel Jaruwat Suriyathip said officers would interrogate witnesses and check security-camera footage to try to locate the farm owner.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30341152

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-03-18
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, humbug said:

well done to Watchdog Thailand for doing wonderful

work to protect animals and force the hand pf the authorities to do their work.

Oh, that was big! Where did they "force the hand"?

They only reported a crime, that they belive has been made. That´s usually what people have to do in most countries regarding matters such as this.

• Thanks 1

Eight hours: eight posts . . . pretty well sums up the animal rights concern in Thailand. The real concern is for the poor sods that get bitten by Thailand's throw away pets.

Edited by Ossy
correction
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, humbug said:

well done to Watchdog Thailand for doing wonderful

work to protect animals and force the hand pf the authorities to do their work.

Thailand can't police it's own roads no less policing laws relating to animals.  Policing 'animal cruelty' may be 'on the books' but it's totally 'off the map' of priorities.  They may react to one highly publicized case, but after that, it's business as usual.  That's just reality! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thingamabob said:

Stupid, illiterate comment.

I disagree totally.  I accompanied my Thai GF to a Wat on Saturday.  It was far from a religious experience.  There were touts with loud-speakers selling candles/flowers/incense sticks.  Entrance was strictly controlled by a regime of non-religious civvies presumably condoned by the abbot.  After saying your prayers you then had to run the gauntlet of the lottery ticket sellers also on temple grounds. Parking was zealously protected unless a fee was paid.  A restaurant had opened opposite to relieve the Godly of any excess cash left after the temple fleecing.  We left with a sour taste without paying their inflated prices.

Edited by mikebell
some details omitted + one spelling error.
  • Like 2

I, or rather my SO, has two small breed dogs - a toy poodle and a shiatsu, and I can tell you they wouldn't last five minutes on the street. One has already cost me in vet fees after it got mauled by a street dog, and it's sirvival was touch and go. Dumping small breeds, chihuahuas for heaven's sake, is just ridiculous and defies all logic. These are lap dogs, not soi dogs. Not that I condone any dog being dumped but at least your average soi dog has some chance of survival. OK, put them down painlessly if you have to but have some compassion. Just following the Buddhist form of "do not personally kill" and dumping them, doesn't really cut it.