Uninsured Brit seriously injured and stranded in hospital after motorbike accident in Hua Hin

webfact

1 minute ago, bbz404 said:

Speak for yourself. But I am riding a motorcycle everyday in Bangkok to and from work. It's just easier, quicker. More dangerous certainly.

But I have a valid driving license for motorcycles (with no CC limit) from my home country and also a valid Thai motorcycle license.

When I go upcountry in Thailand, I do not hesitate to rent a motorcycle and drive it. Shouldn't be generalizing is all. 

I agree he shouldn't have said ALL, but most of the young bagpackers that hire m'bikes don't have a clue, and some have never been on a m'bike before, let alone have a licence.

Just look at them driving around without even a shirt, and often not a helmet. 

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I agree he shouldn't have said ALL, but most of the young bagpackers that hire m'bikes don't have a clue, and some have never been on a m'bike before, let alone have a licence.

Just look at them driving around without even a shirt, and often not a helmet. 

No argument here

Here we go again discussing people with no travel/ Medical iinsurance

This Subject is mentioned regularly with Tourists and Expats  ect not having one or the other or both 

No doubt will be talking the same in the coming weeks bottom line here in Thailand you need them 

this Go Fund me / just giving pages. Must be a godsend  to people

wish the guy a speedy recovery 

4 minutes ago, bbz404 said:

Speak for yourself. But I am riding a motorcycle everyday in Bangkok to and from work. It's just easier, quicker. More dangerous certainly.

But I have a valid driving license for motorcycles (with no CC limit) from my home country and also a valid Thai motorcycle license.

When I go upcountry in Thailand, I do not hesitate to rent a motorcycle and drive it. Shouldn't be generalizing is all. 

Same here i have ridden motorcycles in Thailand for 9 years now one accident early on no real damage to me but to the bike. I am insured, healthcare and motorbike. Got the correct license and am used to Thai driving. I drive a car here too. 

Driving a motorcycle is dangerous, but you can limit the danger a lot. However its often especially in BKK far better to drive a motorbike then a car. The time you save could be up to 2-3 hours a day.

Even if he did have travel insurance they wouldn't pay out for a motorcycle accident in Thailand for obvious reasons, if the car had insurance they should pay for the hospital costs, sounds like the car driver didn't have insurance which comes as no surprise.

2 minutes ago, newnative said:

Tourists should be totally banned from renting motorcycles, period.

No they shouldn't! There are fantastic roads in the North of Thailand. There are big bike rentals in Chiang Mai that work in a good manner. Why should an experienced tourist driver be excluded from discovering Thai roads?

If all documentation and insurance is in order, everybody is free to do what they please.

9 minutes ago, robblok said:

Same here i have ridden motorcycles in Thailand for 9 years now one accident early on no real damage to me but to the bike. I am insured, healthcare and motorbike. Got the correct license and am used to Thai driving. I drive a car here too. 

Driving a motorcycle is dangerous, but you can limit the danger a lot. However its often especially in BKK far better to drive a motorbike then a car. The time you save could be up to 2-3 hours a day.

Yes should have mentioned that I also drive a car here. But mostly only on weekends in Bangkok or upcountry. Doing about 20,000km per year. In Bangkok, motorcycles save me so much time, it's a godsend. I can't stand sitting in traffic and/or public transport. Also, you get to see a lot of different areas in Bangkok on a motorcycle. I love riding in the City actually. 

An after the accident/disease struck Go Fund Me page seems to be what many prefer to use for insurance needs now days.  The attitude of why buy insurance if I can get other people to pay my medical bills.

3 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

Why is the driver not held accountable financially whether he has insurance or not? Yes the Brit was wrong not to have insurance but the cause of the problem is the other driver....

it's called accountability for your behavior/mistakes...

what's  the point then of having insurance if you're not liable for not having it?

so tired of hearing oh well TIT

Your not liable if your a Thai but liable if your a farang you should know by now that if there is an accident it's always the fatangs fault

Just now, bbz404 said:

Yes should have mentioned that I also drive a car here. But mostly only on weekends when we stay in Bangkok. Doing about 20,000km per year. In Bangkok, motorcycles save me so much time, it's a godsend. I can't stand sitting in traffic and/or public transport. Also, you get to see a lot of different areas in Bangkok on a motorcycle. I love riding in the City actually. 

Can't say I love it, I only love it when I know where I am going. But the time saved is huge. There was a fishing lake i used to visit, 45 minutes by bike but 2 hours by car. 

53 minutes ago, whaleboneman said:

Thai pockets always empty.

Based on the number of GoFundMe pages set up for tourists having accidents it would appear that many tourists and their families also have empty pockets.

50 minutes ago, Wildliferescue said:

The reason why the driver of the car who hit hit from behind is not paying for the treatment is because Mr Mark cut in front of him on the fast lane to make a u-turn. The car driver had a dashboard camera to proof this. The driver of this car, by the way, is also a Westerner,. So slugging off Thai driving style in the comments makes no sense here.

If this is true, then the senseless bashing of the Thais on this thread is completely wrong and unwarranted.  But will the haters come back to apologize?  I doubt it, being the cowards that most of these guys are.

4 minutes ago, salavan said:

Your not liable if your a Thai but liable if your a farang you should know by now that if there is an accident it's always the fatangs fault

Utter hogwash. Been in accidents in car where the Thai was at fault. Insurance of Thai paid out. 

2 minutes ago, Minnehaha said:

As a non UK national, if I were visiting the UK and had an accident like this and had no insurance what would happen?

What should happen is that you are stabilised, and after that on your own, but I don't know what happens if you can't walk out, or can't pay for long term hospital care. I can't see them dumping a ventilated patient on the street. Maybe there are government to government agreements.

1 minute ago, Samui property finder said:

Maybe i am wrong but most health insurance and /or travel insurance will not cover motorbike accidents. so should it normally not be the car drivers insurance that need to pay for his medical expenses.....from what i read the car hit him from behind so....

Of course travel insurance pays out if it's included and you are licenced, wearing a helmet, and not driving over a certain CC bike.

Mine paid out for my accident.

3 hours ago, catman20 said:

yes my thoughts as well , should the drivers insurance not be responsible for all his costs?

I had a accident years ago. Not my fault, a thai man knocked me off my bike from the side while running across the road still on his mobile, he was paying no attention to traffic, I had to pay his hospital bill, my. Bike was. Confiscated until I paid, Police man said to me when I said it's not my fault, he said IF YOU WERE NOT IN THAILAND THE ACCIDENT WOULD NOT HAVE HAPPENED,PAY UP

1 hour ago, Dustdevil said:

No foreigner should ever ride motorbikes or motorcycles in Thailand if they can at all avoid it. Insured? Great--I'll still be dead or brain-damaged.

If they don't they are missing the mountains and countryside. You can't wrap yourself up in cotton wool all your life, get out and explore!

2 minutes ago, Johnboxer said:

I had a accident years ago. Not my fault, a thai man knocked me off my bike from the side while running across the road still on his mobile, he was paying no attention to traffic, I had to pay his hospital bill, my. Bike was. Confiscated until I paid, Police man said to me when I said it's not my fault, he said IF YOU WERE NOT IN THAILAND THE ACCIDENT WOULD NOT HAVE HAPPENED,PAY UP

I think most of us expats have some idea of the consequences of an accident and either think we are lucky or drive very carefully.

Young tourists don't know that and should not travel without insurance. I'd like to see it as a requirement of entry, like the 20,000 baht.

Just now, chrissables said:

If they don't they are missing the mountains and countryside. You can't wrap yourself up in cotton wool all your life, get out and explore!

if you are driving in LOS you shouldn't be taking your eyes off the road, as it's so dangerous. If not the traffic, the potholes.

There is public transport almost everywhere in LOS.

Make sure when you buy travel insurance that they will pay the hospital if you are hospitalized. On my last trip I was taken to the hospital in Bangkok because I thought I was having a heart attack and my insurance(AIG) wouldn't pay the hospital so I had to come up with the cash myself so I was laying on the gurney in the ER trying to negotiate a price with the financial person because the insurance company told me  that my insurance would only reimburse me so I  had to pay first , and the hospital wanted $12,000 USD in order to treat me.

Archived