Uninsured Brit seriously injured and stranded in hospital after motorbike accident in Hua Hin

webfact

9 hours ago, hagler said:

Based on very recent experience with a friend while we were riding through  Korat the hospital will be getting him stabilised and at the same time the admissions team will be determining if he has insurance and if so will be contacting the insurance company. 

If he doesnt have insurance they will get him stabilised and then he will be given minimal level of care to keep his vitals going. The family will be contacted ( if they cant then the embassy) and money will be sought for further treatment. No money. No more expensive treatment.

My friend was fully insured so the Bangkok Hospital in Korat took care of him in a world class manner.

I this happens hear in the uk to  Thai National there would be no second thought on if we would treat him he would get the best treatment available, so much for a compassionate Buddhist country 

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, stevenl said:

Did you read the post he was answering?

Yes of course I did!  "what happens if he cannot pay ?"

All I was saying was that the headline clearly states that he was uninsured yet we have someone saying that the "admissions team will be determining if he has insurance and if so will be contacting the insurance company."

25 minutes ago, sambum said:

Yes of course I did!  "what happens if he cannot pay ?"

All I was saying was that the headline clearly states that he was uninsured yet we have someone saying that the "admissions team will be determining if he has insurance and if so will be contacting the insurance company."

ahhhh it must be the VI day today on here.

As the guy above you said I was answering the rhetorical question posed which was " what happens if he doesn't have insurance".

You have nice day now. lol

10 hours ago, woody622954 said:

Most UK travel insurance excludes claiming if riding a motorcycle.

Comes under dangerous sports.

Not true.

I have had "off the shelf" policies (from at least 5 different "popular" companies) which have all covered MC use.

But ONLY if one has a UK MC licence (ie competence and experience).

They will also not cover unless policyholder is wearing a helmet.

This wording from my "Go Walkabout" 2017- 2018 policy:

"We will not cover you.........If you are travelling on, or in, a motorised vehicle for which you do not hold appropriate qualifications to ride in the UK or the Channel Islands."

2 minutes ago, Enoon said:

Not true.

I have had "off the shelf" policies (from at least 5 different "popular" companies) which have all covered MC use.

But ONLY if one has a UK MC licence (ie competence and experience).

They will also not cover unless policyholder is wearing a helmet.

And so many people on this forum are blaming the "stupid Thais" for not wearing a helmet.

Even accidents driving 20 km/h can be deadly, or very dangerous, including brain injuries.

Broken bones are easy to fix, but a broken skull....

35 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

And so many people on this forum are blaming the "stupid Thais" for not wearing a helmet.

Even accidents driving 20 km/h can be deadly, or very dangerous, including brain injuries.

Broken bones are easy to fix, but a broken skull....

Thailand is full of individuals needing lifetime care due to relatively low speed (helmetless) accidents.

Unfortunately not seen by tourists who seek to emulate their "easy going" lifestyle.

2 minutes ago, Enoon said:

Thailand is full of individuals needing lifetime care due to relatively low speed (helmetless) accidents.

A Thai guy who's working in construction business had an accident, not wearing a helmet on a roof. His skull was fractured and because he "only had" the 30 baht scheme insurance they're using a piece of a dog's skull to close the nasty hole in his head.

But it didn't cover the whole area and you could see very soft tissue. The guy went back to work and I hope that he's still alive. 

Was he considered wrong in the crash?

if not then why isn’t the person that hit him from behind paying?

even he didn’t have a bike licence then his inssurance wouldn’t cover him anyway

41 minutes ago, hagler said:

ahhhh it must be the VI day today on here.

As the guy above you said I was answering the rhetorical question posed which was " what happens if he doesn't have insurance".

You have nice day now. lol

Breakdown in communication - I thought you had posed the question!

You have a good day too!

I do not blame Thailand for wanting people  or someone to pay the hospital bill. However, Thailand is advertising that they want tourists to come- and over 30 million are coming. However, amongst the 30 million there will always be those who are careless, come without insurance and have accidents or situations that will warrant hospitals and doctors.

Families will always  be the first source of payment when one is uninsured- however, my solution would be a 500 Baht charge on every air ticket sold to Thailand and these funds used for healthcare services for the uninsured.  The airlines are already collecting the security fee so there is already a method of collection and payment.

I will say it again and keep saying- Healthcare is a human right. Everyone has a right to life. Some posters indicate he should be left to die- others condemn him for no insurance- possible drinking and on and on.   How about those who are obese- shouldn't have eaten so much -let them die.  How about those who drink- possible health problems- let them die. How bout the smokers- let them die?

Come On people- everyone at some time in their life does things that are irresponsible and can have health issues.  Not everyone has insurance- some can't afford it and on and on.

Stop the recriminations and focus on what is moral for a society.  You don't  withhold healthcare because someone was irresponsible and certainly not because they can't pay for it. You develop a system in which everyone gets adequate healthcare and it needs to be provided no matter what the cost. 

Governments will continue to pay billions on armaments and armies while their taxpaying citizens pay for this nonsense. How about the World using the tax money to save lives not destroy them.

1 hour ago, Polaky said:

35 years of driving semi's local and  interstate in oz, had bikes for many years, have a license for just about everything, car/truck/boat/bike/bobcat etc, but I don't drive in los, remember it's not how good of a driver you are or think you are, it's all the drivers around you that you have to worry about.

Wow, Is it actually that bad. My car and bike sit out front for weeks at a time because it freaks me out driving here. I have actually acclimated to the point I am just as aggressive as the rest of the fools on the road. Literally cant go 100m without seeing some braindead maneuver. 

The gofundme page says he had children.  My sympathies for them, not many for him for going without insurance.  However, in the past when I ought travel accident and medical insurance, none of them pay the hospital direct.   I mean I scoured the internet, read the fine print, posted questions on forums and could not find any that directly paid the hospital.  My point being one would have to pay the hospital up front, and then file for reimbursement.   So insured or not, as a foreigner you probably need to have money up front.  Maybe there are some Thai based insurance companies one can buy travel accident and medical insurance.  I didn't see any I would trust sending money to from abroad before I traveled.

2 hours ago, Thian said:

I didn't know the situation before i reacted, but if he drove left and suddenly went for the U-turn he might have been wrong...Of course you can't do it like most Thai and just steer to the U-turn without looking over the shoulder/mirrors.

U-turns cause loads of accidents and dangerous situations..and there are far too many of them as well...even coaches and big trucks use them on very busy roads/highways blocking all incoming lanes..

Also i think the western travelinsurances have to make totally clear what is insured and what isn't. In fact i think that driving motocy is always included worldwide but it might be different for the Brits.

Motorcycle insurance, from America in general is NOT always included in the default policy.  One has to purchase an additional option/rider, and one has to be licensed to drive a motorcycle in one's home state.  Many people buy some policy then travel, then get hit with the fine print about being licensed to drive a motorcycle on a public road.

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Thousands of miles around the north, over many years.

If you think the roads are so brilliant try driving on the 2 lane from Lampang to Den Chai. More than a few near death experiences on that one, I've had.

The 1089 from Taton to Mae Chan is almost all potholes.

I can pretty much say for sure that you never took the forest road from Phrae to Tha Pla, and the Thoeng roads are pretty "exciting".

Have you driven the forest roads around Sirikit Dam? They're pretty "interesting".

There are a few classic m'bike traps on the old road to Chiang Mai from Lamphun, but if one only goes on the 11 one would never know, of course.

I guess if you just drove on the superhighways you can say that the roads in LOS are world class, but to Mae Hong Son on the 1095 one can't look at the scenery while driving, that's for sure.

Yes superhighways and in the cities DA and not man y pot holes. Where you are describing is not normal. But your Brain is not normal and full of potholes so no worries. 

The no Insurance is like playing russian roulette it might happen you need it or not but for now it should  be mandatory to issue proof of insurance if a demand for Visa is done, so if any emergency happen the insurance company would have to face the claim. We all know that insurance company are there to make money and try to get away with no paying.

7 minutes ago, jonclark said:

How is that ironic? 

"a state of affairs or an event that seems deliberately contrary to what one expects and is often amusing as a result".

I think that what JOC  is getting at  is that a farang is seriously ill in hospital with no insurance cover because he has possibly rented a MB from a farang shop with no insurance, which is what some people would expect to be more the case  with a Thai run shop.

8 minutes ago, sambum said:

"a state of affairs or an event that seems deliberately contrary to what one expects and is often amusing as a result".

I think that what JOC  is getting at  is that a farang is seriously ill in hospital with no insurance cover because he has possibly rented a MB from a farang shop with no insurance, which is what some people would expect to be more the case  with a Thai run shop.

He's not driving legally- how can he be insured?

No way does someone without travel insurance goes and to get an international drivers license.

43 minutes ago, barsie said:

No way does someone without travel insurance goes and to get an international drivers license.

i think you'll find that the British and others can use their licenses in Thailand on tourist visas and don't need an IDL and also don't need an IDL to get a Thai license.

26 minutes ago, barsie said:

Sorry an IDP and it is required outside of the EU:

http://www.theaa.com/driving-advice/driving-abroad/idp-country-list#T

it is not required in thailand. the AA don't make the rules here. i got both car and bike licenses years ago without IDL and the rules haven't changed. as for tourists, they can hire cars without an IDL as long as they haven't been here more than 3 months(i think but certainly have to be on tourist visas and not others) as long as the licence is in english it is accepted here and would not affect insurance as far as i know

1 hour ago, barsie said:

Not the point I was making at all, but if you want to go along that path - please feel welcome to do so!

11 hours ago, Johnboxer said:

I had a accident years ago. Not my fault, a thai man knocked me off my bike from the side while running across the road still on his mobile, he was paying no attention to traffic, I had to pay his hospital bill, my. Bike was. Confiscated until I paid, Police man said to me when I said it's not my fault, he said IF YOU WERE NOT IN THAILAND THE ACCIDENT WOULD NOT HAVE HAPPENED,PAY UP

Like in most countries, any motorized vehicle causing damages to a pedestrian is by default responsible, It is up to the driver to provide evidence of the contrary.

9 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

it is not required in thailand. the AA don't make the rules here. i got both car and bike licenses years ago without IDL and the rules haven't changed. as for tourists, they can hire cars without an IDL as long as they haven't been here more than 3 months

Well if you have an accident and your UK travel insurance refuse cover- it's clearly stated in the UK government website to use AA guidelines.

AA says you need IDP in Thailand. So travel insurance would perfectly legitimately refuse cover.

Insurance companies tend to be pretty hot on this stuff when it comes to refusing claims.

16 minutes ago, barsie said:

Well if you have an accident and your UK travel insurance refuse cover- it's clearly stated in the UK government website to use AA guidelines.

AA says you need IDP in Thailand. So travel insurance would perfectly legitimately refuse cover.

Insurance companies tend to be pretty hot on this stuff when it comes to refusing claims.

i don't have travel insurance, i have accident and health insurance based on residing here and also have local licenses so it wouldn't affect me at all. AA is not government and sells IDP/IDL (pretty much same shit) no doubt paying for the privilege to do so from the UK government. If a tourist hires a car from say Hertz on his UK licence (allowed here), is insured and has an accident, the insurance will pay out. pretty sure about that.

Hertz rules in Thailand:

"Driver must have at least one year of driving experience at the time of rental and possess a current international driving licence or a current national driving licence which is translated into English. If the local driving licence is not in English, then an international driving licence has to be presented"

The foreign licence must either be in English, or be accompanied by an official translation into English or Thai. The licence needs to have been issued by a country that has a treaty with the Thai government allowing the mutual acceptance of driving licences.  Most countries, including Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the UK and the USA have this agreement with Thailand under the 1949 Geneva Convention on Road Traffic or the 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic

6 hours ago, possum1931 said:

What Colin means is the stupidity of not taking out insurance, and probably renting a motorbike without having a license or the experience of riding one. If he was hit from behind as reported, then in most cases the car driver is at fault.

And not wearing protective gear, he should have know better in the first place. I can understand that some countries don't make it mandatory, but coming from a 1st world country he should have known better. 

Archived