Uninsured Brit seriously injured and stranded in hospital after motorbike accident in Hua Hin

webfact

2 hours ago, peterb17 said:

Was going to say the same thing- from the photo that stretch of road looks in excellent condition- no good the family blaming the road.

It’s not a good situation for this guy to be in- hope he will OK - but it’s dangerous out there. 

If you read the article it states: “Due to the poor condition of the roads in Thailand and the severity of his injuries, he must be transferred by helicopter, ...". The family is not blaming the road.

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

someone mentioned earlier the driver was also foreign and has dash cam evidence to prove the motorbike was at fault. i do feel sorry for the guy and his family but at his age not taking out insurance then coming to thailand which i'm sure even this fella knows has some of the worst accidents stats in the world and getting on a motorbike is basically stupid. i would be paranoid even crossing the roads here without insurance never mind getting on a bike. go fund me strikes again. be interesting to see how many times this happens here in a year. 

4 hours ago, chicowoodduck said:

Geez, someone has to pay....hospitals don't do stuff for free? Perhaps take him too a govt. hospital and hope for the best?  Just hope it never happens to me....lol....?

..they do in the UK, it's called health-tourism.

17 minutes ago, bbz404 said:

What do you think I meant by "experienced tourist driver" and "if all documentation and insurance is in order"?

Inexperienced drivers should not be riding a motorcycle in any country in this world just because motorcycle rentals are on offer and nobody checks the qualification.

Have a proper driving education, experience and enough intelligence and I see no issues why anyone (falling into this category) shouldn't be enjoying Thai roads on 2 wheels.

Well, we agree that "inexperienced drivers should not be riding a motorcycle in any country in this world."   Unfortunately,  most tourists in Thailand are not experienced motorcycle drivers, most have no motorcycle license, and yet they are allowed to rent a motorcycle and drive around without insurance.  So, we end up with cases like the Brit and the American I mentioned.  Not good.

29 minutes ago, carbide said:

Not hit from behind, taillight still intact.
The lines on the ground are not chalk,
they are the marks that the footrest left on the ground.
It looks like it was hit from the side in the southbound overtaking lane,
and sent to the position seen in the photo.
The view north, of the traffic going south, is good.
Maybe tried to get to the hard shoulder of the southbound road,
in one go, from Palm Hills.
The impact must have been huge,
to send the bike that far.
Lucky to be alive.

I have looked at it again it does not make sense that this is his footrest making those marks. It would mean his bike has done a 360 turn and he was going against the traffic and got hit from behind by a car going against the traffic. Please correct me if I am wrong this is what i make of it.

Or they moved the bike back (also a possibility) to where it was originally hit.

5 minutes ago, Tchooptip said:

Someone could explain how on earth this motorbike was hit from behind with supposedly tremendous force when the back of the said motorbike is absolutely not damaged at all?

hit from behind.jpg

Please see the muffler..impact from behind, from the side it would be flat.

8 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

The two photos are from the GFM page. Who's the foreigner behind the black car that seems to be one that hit the Brit's bike?

After the accident.jpg

Car that hit the brit.jpg

And presumably the car driver standing behind the damaged vehicle as an earlier post stated he was a farang 

1 minute ago, tryasimight said:

And presumably the car driver standing behind the damaged vehicle

There were more people standing when looking at other photos. If it was a foreigner who hit him, why was there nothing mentioned? Better to wait for more information./...

27 minutes ago, vincent13 said:

If you read the article it states: “Due to the poor condition of the roads in Thailand and the severity of his injuries, he must be transferred by helicopter, ...". The family is not blaming the road.

"Due to the poor condition of the roads in Thailand"- if that's not blaming the roads, I'll eat my keyboard.

1 minute ago, jenny2017 said:

There were more people standing when looking at other photos. If it was a foreigner who hit him, why was there nothing mentioned? Better to wait for more information./...

A previous poster mentioned it.  He also said the drivers dashcam recorded the motorbike pulling out in front of him. 

Is it true?  I don't know but the poster seemed to know more about this incident than has been reported in the OP. 

4 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

A previous poster mentioned it.  He also said the drivers dashcam recorded the motorbike pulling out in front of him. 

Is it true?  I don't know but the poster seemed to know more about this incident than has been reported in the OP. 

If I'd hit every motorbike that pulls out in front of me , I'd have quite a few accidents every day. Shouldn't you drive at a speed that you can always stop? Well, at least in theory...

This seems to be the update from the GFM page: ( but the date must be wrong)

<(Saturday 20 March: Mark remains in stable, but critical condition. He is in ICU in an induced coma on a ventilator, as he was in a lot of pain and very restless when he woke up after the accident.

It is so hard for us as a family being so far away and not being at his side to tell him we love him and to reassure him we are there and that we are doing everything we can for him. We are very lucky to have some amazing friends in Thailand who are doing all they can to help and support him in our absence.

The overnight stay in hospital has racked up costs of over 400,000 Thai Bhat (9,000 pounds). Scans have shown a small bleed on the brain from the trauma, which they have reassured us doesn't require an operation and a number of fractured ribs, which have punctured his lungs. 

We have been overwhelmed by the messages of support and everyone's generosity. Thank you so much.)>

10 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

"Due to the poor condition of the roads in Thailand"- if that's not blaming the roads, I'll eat my keyboard.

Read the whole sentence. They are saying that is why they can't transport him to Bangkok by road, not the reason for the accident!  And start eating ...

1 minute ago, jenny2017 said:

If I'd hit every motorbike that pulls out in front of me , I'd have quite a few accidents every day. Shouldn't you drive at a speed that you can always stop? Well, at least in theory...

This seems to be the update from the GFM page: ( but the date must be wrong)

<(Saturday 20 March: Mark remains in stable, but critical condition. He is in ICU in an induced coma on a ventilator, as he was in a lot of pain and very restless when he woke up after the accident.

It is so hard for us as a family being so far away and not being at his side to tell him we love him and to reassure him we are there and that we are doing everything we can for him. We are very lucky to have some amazing friends in Thailand who are doing all they can to help and support him in our absence.

The overnight stay in hospital has racked up costs of over 400,000 Thai Bhat (9,000 pounds). Scans have shown a small bleed on the brain from the trauma, which they have reassured us doesn't require an operation and a number of fractured ribs, which have punctured his lungs. 

We have been overwhelmed by the messages of support and everyone's generosity. Thank you so much.)>

You should drive at a speed where you can stop.  But in reality if someone pulls out in front if you on a highway then it is unlikely you will be able to stop in time. Same as a kid running into the road from between two parked cars. Good chance you may hit him/her.

The speed/stoping bit more correctly relates to leaving a gap between you and the vehicle in front.... Both going in the same direction and not to a vehicle coming at you from the side, otherwise the speed limit on highways would be 40kph or so. 

4 hours ago, Badbanker said:

I see sad problems happen almost every day with many westerners coming to Thailand  and starting to ride a motorcycle for their very first time.

We have all lost count of the number of times this has happened with regular tragic results.

Most people also don't have a legal driving license for a motorcycle in Thailand and as such void the mandatory 3rd party insurance that all cars must have, that would normally help them with medical expenses!

All foreigners that rent motorcycles in Thailand are not sufficiently proficient in riding and  even more not aware of the driving style and frantic habits of many Thai drivers.

Tourists who visit  Thailand think that because they don't speak the language or understand the law, there are no rules that apply to them and they can just do it!

This ends all too often in a body bag or worse, as in this case life long injuries and disabilities.

...and enjoy riding in shorts and sandals, no helmet needed coz only 400b fine.

Sorry for the man 

but this is life and and life is not “go fund me” but “go fund yourself” ——especially at 56 years old. 

no health insurance and no travel insurance and no helmet. Maybe the other car was at fault but on a motorbike the motorbike driver always is the loser injury wise regardless of who is at fault. 

5 hours ago, kannot said:

More proof  for the authorities that they MUST force foreigners to insure,  which i dont agree with, I  keep aside  3  million for emergencies if that aint enough more can be raised but the LAST  thing  Ill do is beg. People need to realise if they have no money they will die, as simple as  that. They should sign a disclaimer on arrival.

No need to take out insurance now as the Head of the Army's Department of the Irrational Thinking has announced that when each person on arrival at any airport or land crossing has been given the wristband for security reasons they will be required to also pay a deposit of 100,000 Bht. On leaving Thailand when handing in the wristband and it is checked to see if no wrongdoing has occurred, a refund will be given which will be worked out from the total amount paid in minus the cost of any accidental/stupidity costs occurred during your stay.
Expect a waiting time at the airport of 5 hours before you are able to arrive at your departure gate.

2 minutes ago, marquis22 said:

No need to take out insurance now as the Head of the Army's Department of the Irrational Thinking has announced that when each person on arrival at any airport or land crossing has been given the wristband for security reasons they will be required to also pay a deposit of 100,000 Bht. On leaving Thailand when handing in the wristband and it is checked to see if no wrongdoing has occurred, a refund will be given which will be worked out from the total amount paid in minus the cost of any accidental/stupidity costs occurred during your stay.
Expect a waiting time at the airport of 5 hours before you are able to arrive at your departure gate.

You forgot the Syphilis clearance/ 

5 hours ago, Thian said:

If you hit another vehicle from the back you're guilty in Thailand.

Was that car which hit him not insured?

Not so. If someone cuts into your lane and causes you to hit them then they are held responsible. According to out insurance man 3 weeks ago,

However, knocking someone off a motor cycle usually means the car driver is seen to be responsible.

In the UK police will only become involved in an accident if someone is injured, as in this case. Not sure what rules govern police involvement here, if any.

6 minutes ago, Wake Up said:

Sorry for the man 

but this is life and and life is not “go fund me” but “go fund yourself” ——especially at 56 years old. 

no health insurance and no travel insurance and no helmet. Maybe the other car was at fault but on a motorbike the motorbike driver always is the loser injury wise regardless of who is at fault. 

Even if he had taken out travel insurance, many policies exclude certain risks they consider too risky, like riding motor cycles.

Why is it people think they can go to hot countries, hire motor cycles and ride them around with no safety gear, often in countries known for road accidents and expect nothing bad will ever happen.

Saw it in Spain and Greece with lots of tourists, usually young intelligent people, who didn't ride bikes regularly back home hiring scooters and driving about in swimwear and flip flops. So many went home with injuries and big bills!

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

if you are driving in LOS you shouldn't be taking your eyes off the road, as it's so dangerous. If not the traffic, the potholes.

There is public transport almost everywhere in LOS.

Where and when have you driven to in Thailand?. I have driven from BKk to Chang Mai, Chang Rai, Loei, Khon Kaen, Buriram, Koh Chang, Krabi, Phuket and many more places. The roads in Thailand are better than most roads in the world and constantly being constructed.  Some potholes exist but very few. Misinformation on TV is not useful. 

4 hours ago, colinneil said:

In most countries the car drivers insure would have to pay.

Thai car insurances are to my knowledge limited to a maximum for hospitalization etc., but it can be a bit difficult to find out exactly what's covered with how much. If the car has only the mandatory insurance the limit up to 80,000 baht, which don't cover much, whilst loss-of-life is 300.000 baht.

A voluntary extra insurance might have covers from 300,000 baht per person (including the mandatory cover) and up to 1 million baht per person, and a maximum of for example 10 million baht per accident.

Probably additional compensation can be claimed from the guilty part through a Court case, but often it seems, from various news articles, like a life is priced at 1 million baht.

If it's not the cars fault, it's likely one's own personal accident that shall cover; i.e. travel insurance or separate PA, which in Thailand often has a limited amount when driving a motorbike, or being passenger on a motorbike.

3 hours ago, Catoni said:

No... not necessarily.  You can use apps like KAYAK to find the best flight deals... like flying to Bangkok for $800.00 or less.   Insurance on top of that is not cheap, depending on several factors.    Some people might be able to afford either the trip, or the insurance, but not both.   Not everyone is well off financially.  

And then there is the age factor.  For instance in my case... I'm 66 now.. .and even World Nomads won't insure me due to my age.    So what should I do ?   Be an armchair Youtube "traveller" ?   Dream about the rest of the world until I die? 

Sorry, you must be under 66 years of age to be eligible for our policy

Get a quote 

Insurance is a part of the trip, not an optional extra, but if you do, the risk is with you. What should you do? Take out the insurance. Not an excuse being 66: http://www.globelink.co.uk/policy-options/senior-traveller-insurance.html

Archived