Uninsured Brit seriously injured and stranded in hospital after motorbike accident in Hua Hin

webfact

2 minutes ago, travelerjim said:

FYI ...a 56 year old Brit traveling to Thailand... International health travel insurance is $122.50 month with 0 ZERO deductible and 100% coverage up to US $1Million dollars coverage.  

And as he is under age 70 his preexisting conditions would be covered.  Terrible mistake of the gent to travel without health insurance. 

Health insurance covers your health, not usually accidents. Treatment of diabetes not skydiving injuries.

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Q

Define "hit from behind", was he driving along minding his own business and someone hit him from behind OR did he pull out in front of a vehicle travelling at speed, with no chance of stopping.

I can go out today and pull out from a side street in front of an 18 wheel road train thats doing 100 kph. I dont think the truck is at fault or liable.

Your the first one mentioning this, all are automatically proclaiming his innocence. If you change lanes all of a sudden without looking in your mirrors your as guilty as the car who hit you. It looks as if the guy was changing lanes to get to the U turn. 

The guy might not be innocent at all and the car insurance might not have to pay out. 

2 hours ago, woody622954 said:

Most UK travel insurance excludes claiming if riding a motorcycle.

Comes under dangerous sports.

Err no, If you look at the travel insurance policy, the dangerous sports do not include motorcycles.

The problem with travel insurance and motorcycles, if you are from there UK ( and other countries I assume) , you have to have a motorcycle licence entitlement on your driving licence, from your home country, to be covered by travel insurance.  

Because Thai companies are happy to hire you a bike to you, is immaterial. They just want your money

So people get in the smelly stuff, for two main reasons when riding a motorbike, 1) they do not have the entitlement to ride that motorbike, on their driving licence  2 ) If their home country states you must must wear a helmet when riding a bike, ( As in the UK)  you will not be covered by insurance if you do not wear a helmet. Its in the small print .

There have been a few stories on the site that have highlighted this problem. 

Yes, which is fair enough if you have no experience or maybe no bike license. However, as a motorbike is a Europe-wide recognised form of transport, both for work commutes and pleasure trips this has for a long time been considered (by me) a sneaky get-out-of-paying small-print ploy by most insurance companies.

They said, if they based policy on geo-location then ANY travel within Thailand would be classed as a dangerous sport!!!!  :shock1::cheesy:   Cars, buses, bikes.... Hell, even crossing the road at a pedestrian crossing (yes, they do have them in Thailand - but the vehicles ignore them!) is a game of chicken!!

55 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

This just isn't true, if the Brit wasn't at fault the Thai driver will have to pay from his own pocket if necessary. If the Thai driver is obstinate it may take time and a lawyer but in the end he will have to pay.  

Thai pockets always empty.

3 minutes ago, TheMacMan said:

Yes, which is fair enough if you have no experience or maybe no bike license. However, as a motorbike is a Europe-wide recognised form of transport, both for work commutes and pleasure trips this has for a long time been considered (by me) a sneaky get-out-of-paying small-print ploy by most insurance companies.

They said, if they based policy on geo-location then ANY travel within Thailand would be classed as a dangerous sport!!!!  :shock1::cheesy:   Cars, buses, bikes.... Hell, even crossing the road at a pedestrian crossing (yes, they do have them in Thailand - but the vehicles ignore them!) is a game of chicken!!

Thats not true, if you do not have the entitlement to ride a motorcycle, you can't ride a bike. Including europe (EU) The UK driving licence is an EU compliment and visa versa. I talk from knowledge, was a Police traffic officer for many years  

The reason why the driver of the car who hit hit from behind is not paying for the treatment is because Mr Mark cut in front of him on the fast lane to make a u-turn. The car driver had a dashboard camera to proof this. The driver of this car, by the way, is also a Westerner,. So slugging off Thai driving style in the comments makes no sense here. 

It is indeed not very wise to be in Thailand without sufficient insurance, I think the Thai government should include it in the visa regulation. 

A load of misinformation posts on this thread, no wonder some people don't bother to insure, maybe they believe the same thing.

If riding legally in Thailand you will be covered on your travel insurance, assuming it covers the cc of the bike, only bozos don't read the small print.

21 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Q

Define "hit from behind", was he driving along minding his own business and someone hit him from behind OR did he pull out in front of a vehicle travelling at speed, with no chance of stopping.

I can go out today and pull out from a side street in front of an 18 wheel road train thats doing 100 kph. I dont think the truck is at fault or liable.

Hahaha, i dont think that you will be thinking of much at all if your road train scenario really occurred.

18 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Q

Yes the car driver is responsible but if he has no insurance he pays the cops and walks away it happened to me a car T boned my motorbike while he was using a mobile phone while I had insurance my girlfriend did not so far it has cost me 1 million baht for her injuries and not finished yet.

To me that bike has not been rear-ended at speed? (Where’s the damage), its been hit broadside hence the scratch marks on the road and why his head hit the windscreen. If rear-ended he would have been thrown forward and the bike would have been also.

IMO why the driver is not being made accountable is because the accident was not his causing and I can see the car driver suing the bike rider for damage to their car.

Hope the guy recovers but the full story is not being told

2 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

A load of misinformation posts on this thread, no wonder some people don't bother to insure, maybe they believe the same thing.

If riding legally in Thailand you will be covered on your travel insurance, assuming it covers the cc of the bike, only bozos don't read the small print.

Incorrect, there was an example in this site, were a nurse , from the UK, was involved in an accident and had head injuries, Her insurance company would not cover her. for two reasons, No helmet, and she did not have entitlement to ride a motorbike. 

2 hours ago, taipan1949 said:

I agree with almost everyone on this. If you can afford the plane ticket for a holiday you should be able to pay a few extra pounds to cover your ass, especially if you are stupid enough to rent a motorcycle.

No... not necessarily.  You can use apps like KAYAK to find the best flight deals... like flying to Bangkok for $800.00 or less.   Insurance on top of that is not cheap, depending on several factors.    Some people might be able to afford either the trip, or the insurance, but not both.   Not everyone is well off financially.  

And then there is the age factor.  For instance in my case... I'm 66 now.. .and even World Nomads won't insure me due to my age.    So what should I do ?   Be an armchair Youtube "traveller" ?   Dream about the rest of the world until I die? 

Sorry, you must be under 66 years of age to be eligible for our policy
Get a quote 

2 minutes ago, Foxter said:
6 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Incorrect, there was an example in this site, were a nurse , from the UK, was involved in an accident and had head injuries, Her insurance company would not cover her. for two reasons, No helmet, and she did not have entitlement to ride a motorbike. 

The OP says "If riding legally in Thailand you will be covered", she wasn't riding legally.

You dont hear of any stories were legally licensed riders have there insurance knocked back because they are legal.

9 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

9 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Quick search in the internet shows the answer ( From UK perspective)

https://helpdesk.worldnomads.com/customer/en_gb/portal/articles/2405935-am-i-covered-by-travel-insurance-if-im-riding-a-motorbike-or-scooter-

1 hour ago, mstevens said:

And if the person who is at fault simply doesn't have any money, the hospital has to provide free treatment for which it will not be able to recover the costs while those of us who have the money to pay for treatment / insurance have to wait or possibly even miss out because the doctors and nurses and attending to those who cannot pay.  Can't say I like the sound of that.

If they have insurance the nurses will still be attending to them, so what difference does it make.  You could make the claim that you would be paying a premium for their lack of insurance, but not that you will be kept waiting longer because of them being there.

I agree with almost everyone on this. If you can afford the plane ticket for a holiday you should be able to pay a few extra pounds to cover your ass, especially if you are stupid enough to rent a motorcycle.

Why are people allowed to rent a vehicle without relevant insurance ????

I was hit from behind last Thursday . but in a car my car smashed up bad they estimate 90.000 b damage. the stupid driver of the offending car had NO insurance . the police dont seem to care about that no prosecution only laughs and jokes .    Luck my insurance agree to pay for repair . and all he did was offer me 10.000b i might add im still waiting for it. he walks gets into his car all done  im now without a car for about 6 weeks . so as for the stupid Brit who never bother to take out travel cover he will not get help from here only a oh! Solly 

Most Australian policies I have read will have dangerous sports as an option as long as you are properly licenced and or certified. I always take motorbike and scuba options, never travel without insurance, and have been riding motorbikes for 40 years. Reading the details may be boring, but it can save a lot of pain.

3 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

The OP says "If riding legally in Thailand you will be covered", she wasn't riding legally.

You dont hear of any stories were legally licensed riders have there insurance knocked back because they are legal.

I also said she was refused cover because he did not have entitlement to ride a motorbike.

Which is sensible, if someone has never been on a scooter or bike, there is a good chance of an accident. 

If the case was true, then someone without a car licence could also rent a car , same principle. 

There should be a mandatory third-party liability insurance in Thailand. That would save all these situations. But collecting brown envelopes is surely more fun, than getting a decent legislation under way.

Just now, fxe1200 said:

There should be a mandatory third-party liability insurance in Thailand. That would save all these situations. But collecting brown envelopes is surely more fun, than getting a decent legislation under way.

There is, its called Por La Bor insurance and its included in the road tax you pay every year, it covers driver, passenger and victims for 30,000 baht each, per accident. In the case of the Brit, he would have got 30k from the bike and 30k from the car, enough to pay for emergency trama/surgery and a few days in hospitial.

I agree , but not much point, if the Police do not even enforce the current , non insured drivers . It is mandatory to have insurance . So no point really
No point having a law if it’s not enforced

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

56, so he can't even use the excuse of ignorance.

That anyone not insured would be foolish enough to ride a m'bike here is astounding.

If there are any more of these uninsured accident victims begging on line for money I doubt if any will be getting much.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Due to the poor condition of the roads in Thailand

Sounds like <deleted> to me. It's Hua Hin to Bkk, which is a short trip on modern roads and they could drive slowly. What do ordinary Thais do in such a situation? I doubt they are flying by helicopter.

2 hours ago, Badbanker said:

All foreigners that rent motorcycles in Thailand are not sufficiently proficient in riding and  even more not aware of the driving style and frantic habits of many Thai drivers.

Speak for yourself. But I am riding a motorcycle everyday in Bangkok to and from work. It's just easier, quicker. More dangerous certainly.

But I have a valid driving license for motorcycles (with no CC limit) from my home country and also a valid Thai motorcycle license.

When I go upcountry in Thailand, I do not hesitate to rent a motorcycle and drive it. Shouldn't be generalizing is all. 

Archived