Sakon Nakhon City Lowers Speed Limit To 60kph

webfact

Sakon Nakhon City Lowers Speed Limit To 60kph

By Asaree Thaitrakulpanich, Staff Reporter

2e4b4279d97bfa584757bfc0b151b9d73381503-  

The site of a fatal road accident March 12 in Sakon Nakhon.

SAKON NAKHON — Officials on Tuesday lowered the speed limit of a northeastern province to 60kph in an effort to lower road accidents.

Transport officials in Sakon Nakhon city lowered the speed limit by 20kph in light of a growing number of road fatalities in the area.

Full story:  http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/transpo/2018/03/20/sakon-nakhon-city-lowers-speed-limit-to-60kph/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-03-20

I think it's a brilliant start!

When i arrived to work in Vietnam I couldn't work out why the driver was going so slow. I thought he was taking his time so as not to get to the office before 5pm. I was shocked when i found out the speed limits: 30–40 km/h in cities, and 40–60 km/h on rural roads.

Never saw a car accident there, though saw many motorbike on motorbike crashes.

Those speed limits make a lot of sense and I'd love to see them introduced here.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, alien365 said:

Lowered the speed limit, problem solved. I'm sure everyone will now drive 60 in comparison to the 80 they strictly abided to before.

I got the pun and I agree. Until there are trained mobile traffic units, police reform (sigh!), mobile radar, enforcement, heavy fines, confiscation and legal/criminal consequences, the carnage will continue. Public education is also lacking. It seems to consist of news reports about the tragedies after the fact.

Posting speed limit signs only works for those that understand the concept of law and roadway safety.

Edited by Benmart

1 hour ago, alien365 said:

Lowered the speed limit, problem solved. I'm sure everyone will now drive 60 in comparison to the 80 they strictly abided to before.

Have the speed guns that issue automatic infringements and fines been delivered yet?

1 hour ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Those speed limits make a lot of sense and I'd love to see them introduced here.

In some built up areas maybe but certainly not in all "rural areas" and certainly not on dual (or more) carriageway roads running through cities.

The limits you mention are just too slow and even in the west they would be unusual.

So no, I would be in opposition to the idea.

• Like 1

Won't make one iota of difference.   Got two roads in my area where there is a 60 limit, which i drive to, but every time i'm out there the Thai's are all passing me at anything up to 120, they all think they are Lewis Hamilton.    As for road signs; many have been pulled or knocked down and have never been replaced but even some newish illuminated ones last year were completely ignored.

16 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

I think it's a brilliant start!

When i arrived to work in Vietnam I couldn't work out why the driver was going so slow. I thought he was taking his time so as not to get to the office before 5pm. I was shocked when i found out the speed limits: 30–40 km/h in cities, and 40–60 km/h on rural roads.

Never saw a car accident there, though saw many motorbike on motorbike crashes.

Let go back to horse and buggy! It'll save gas too. Wonderful idea. 

• Haha 1

Lots of stupid comments; so what exactly is wrong with reducing speed limits and trying to enforce it (by the way, the drivers in Vietnam very much kept within the speed limits worried by the constant threat of the police catching them) and thereby hopefully reducing accidents and fatalities?

4 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Lots of stupid comments; so what exactly is wrong with reducing speed limits and trying to enforce it (by the way, the drivers in Vietnam very much kept within the speed limits worried by the constant threat of the police catching them) and thereby hopefully reducing accidents and fatalities?

What is wrong is the enforcement. The law means nothing if it isn't enforced. Not once have I seen the police stop a car for driving too fast here.

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 2:27 PM, alien365 said:

Went through here on Mon/Tue. First time in over a year.

Yes, fresh 60 signs everywhere on the main drag through the city and a couple of parts of the ring road.

Average speed was 80-90, so I just kept up with traffic.....

Obviously cameras have not been installed yet.

The pic in the OP is from a traffic accident in the SN boondocks, nothing to do with SN city.

• Like 1

On 21/03/2018 at 12:22 PM, alien365 said:

What is wrong is the enforcement. The law means nothing if it isn't enforced. Not once have I seen the police stop a car for driving too fast here.

Being stopped by the police is very common here.  Either you were going to fast or you were sitting in the fast lane too long, please make a donation sir.