Reports of poisoned stray dogs outrage animal-rights groups

webfact

3 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

You somehow managed to forget option three-

Neuter, vaccinate and release.....

It's worked on Phuket, but needs the govt. and animal charities to combine funding and resources to continue this proven method.

That’s covered in option two.... these actions will reduce the dog population, it’s just on a longer time frame to see results 

i didnt specify how to reduce the population... I simply specified it as an option

mind you.... these methods, whilst reducing rabid attacks and reproduction, do nothing about general dog attacks, road nuisance, noise etc (although this is not a part of the OP)

and... these options have not worked in my part of Phuket 

6 hours ago, observer90210 said:

But nobody seems mooved by the rabies outburst ?

Dogs do happen to carry the disease also....and maybe some are unaware, but there do happen to be a considerable amount of stray soi dogs that are potential vectors of the plague....so what comes first ? Dogs ? Humans ? Public sanitary safety ?

I think that if a Rabid Dog was running towards you snarling and looking rather pissed off , you would probably say Humans. :smile:

3 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Whilst I fully support the extermination of the wild dogs in the sois, i think poison is a very cruel way to do it. 

Compared to Child Hunger, and the slaughter of Women and Children in various parts of the world, not really, but of course Dogs are more important and deserve all the attention.

5 minutes ago, Acemaker said:

Compared to Child Hunger, and the slaughter of Women and Children in various parts of the world, not really, but of course Dogs are more important and deserve all the attention.

I say this as I had to sit and watch my two daughters kittens slowly die off over two days through a neighbour poisoning all the cats in the street and it was not pleasant. Round them up and sadly if cannot be homes, put them down humanely

The authorities should announce a 2 week amnesty, to allow genuine "owners", and "bleeding heart" dog lovers to "adopt-a-stray" and remove them from the street, before commencing a 100% catch and euthanize for all dogs roaming free.   Thereafter any stray dogs should be caught and held for a few day before being euthanized.  Any owners "claiming" said stray should be fined for allowing their dogs to roam free. 

Catch/neuter/vaccinate/release schemes are all well and good but do not prevent aggressive dogs roaming free.  I would hazard a guess that more people die as a result of motorcycle accidents caused by stray dogs than from rabies (although I have no data to support this.)

I agree with a previous post who commented that vermin would probably become a major problem if stray dogs were removed, but I'm sure even the "bleeding hearts" would have no issue with these being poisoned.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

I say this as I had to sit and watch my two daughters kittens slowly die off over two days through a neighbour poisoning all the cats in the street and it was not pleasant. Round them up and sadly if cannot be homes, put them down humanely

I (we) were on a holiday in the phillipines when coming across a cat dying from being poisoned - with an elderly lady (I'm so tempted to use the word crone...) sitting about a metre away - who clearly didn't care at all....  Presumably she was responsible for the poisoning.

No vets in the vicinity, so we carried the poor cat home to die.  Pointless I agree, but at least he died with caring people holding him in their arms all night.

Those who poison, should be force-fed the same poison IMO.

Having said this, I'm a hypocrite as I kill ticks and mossies with very little compunction :sad:

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, steve73 said:

The authorities should announce a 2 week amnesty, to allow genuine "owners", and "bleeding heart" dog lovers to "adopt-a-stray" and remove them from the street, before commencing a 100% catch and euthanize for all dogs roaming free.   Thereafter any stray dogs should be caught and held for a few day before being euthanized.  Any owners "claiming" said stray should be fined for allowing their dogs to roam free. 

Catch/neuter/vaccinate/release schemes are all well and good but do not prevent aggressive dogs roaming free.  I would hazard a guess that more people die as a result of motorcycle accidents caused by stray dogs than from rabies (although I have no data to support this.)

I agree with a previous post who commented that vermin would probably become a major problem if stray dogs were removed, but I'm sure even the "bleeding hearts" would have no issue with these being poisoned.

Fining people for allowing their dogs to roam free goes against the culture of dog ownership in Thailand, where most homes do not have surrounding fences or walls, unless you expect the owners to keep the dogs permanently chained up.

Also, neutering male dogs does make them less aggressive through reduced testosterone levels, and females are usually only aggressive when protecting puppies, which again would not happen if spayed.

My experience as a frequent cyclist is that the stray dogs usually ignore me. The ones who chase after me tend to run out from roadside properties, as they think I am invading their territory, which seems to include the area in front of "their" house.

I believe catch/neuter/vaccinate/release is the way to go. There are many people running such schemes here, constrained mainly by lack of funds. Perhaps the "something must be done" brigade writing on this forum should actually do something themselves by contributing to these schemes - the one I have personal experience of has certainly gone a long way to controlling the situation where it is operating.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, fasteddie said:

Somebody dies of a cat bite so dogs have to die? Land of Stupid!

Hey fasteddie you should try and keep up with the news because both cats and dogs have been killing people with rabies recently, so yes to killing the dogs as well as the cats.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

I (we) were on a holiday in the phillipines when coming across a cat dying from being poisoned - with an elderly lady (I'm so tempted to use the word crone...) sitting about a metre away - who clearly didn't care at all....  Presumably she was responsible for the poisoning.

No vets in the vicinity, so we carried the poor cat home to die.  Pointless I agree, but at least he died with caring people holding him in their arms all night.

Those who poison, should be force-fed the same poison IMO.

Having said this, I'm a hypocrite as I kill ticks and mossies with very little compunction :sad:

What about rabid dogs and cats?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Stupooey said:

Fining people for allowing their dogs to roam free goes against the culture of dog ownership in Thailand, where most homes do not have surrounding fences or walls, unless you expect the owners to keep the dogs permanently chained up.

Also, neutering male dogs does make them less aggressive through reduced testosterone levels, and females are usually only aggressive when protecting puppies, which again would not happen if spayed.

My experience as a frequent cyclist is that the stray dogs usually ignore me. The ones who chase after me tend to run out from roadside properties, as they think I am invading their territory, which seems to include the area in front of "their" house.

I believe catch/neuter/vaccinate/release is the way to go. There are many people running such schemes here, constrained mainly by lack of funds. Perhaps the "something must be done" brigade writing on this forum should actually do something themselves by contributing to these schemes - the one I have personal experience of has certainly gone a long way to controlling the situation where it is operating.

Amen!!! :thumbsup:

4 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

How often have I said this?

Spay, vaccinate and release.

It's worked brilliantly on Phuket, which is a rabies free area.

Alternatively, round them up, double tap, burn.

Also creates a rabies free area.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

7 hours ago, BEngBKK said:

In my country you can shoot a cat or dog if it is in your property and not wear a collar with a tag of ownership....

In my country things are done differently too. In this case its done with more local government organization, public cooperation & carried out properly & humanely without widespread chaos & panic.

We’re not in either country & thank Buddha not yours!

Edited by SpicyMeatball
Edit
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, fstarbkk said:

Not sure about dog lovers... But as for me, logic and proven facts always "get through" to me. You know, the thing your posts are usually so devoid of. :smile:

The irony is it is people like you that are a big part of the problem, I was right in saying nothing will ever get through to you, untill you and your peers start to take responsibility nothing will ever get done.

• Like 1

It is wonderful to see this. Any reduction in these dangerous strays, most of which originate from irresponsible owners, is a great and very overdue event. The Vietnamese and Koreans should be allowed to come here and take them away for the dinner plates of those who enjoy them.

Animal lovers? Who cares! 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

Maybe a few do gooders need to watch a few u-tube vids

on Rabies here is an old one.

Put the dogs down now.

Just imagine if it was a 14 year old child.

Why not stick to the facts? Why toss out  idiotic scenarios?

5 hours ago, Blackheart1916 said:

"Reports of somebody attempting to solve a serious problem outrage animal rights activists."

Not an attempt to solve anything. Rather it is an illegal, unethical and irresponsible  opportunistic act by  mental deficients. The collateral damage is significant. Why not  dump poison into the water supplies while you are at it because the  dogs drink water too.

5 hours ago, vogie said:

"You say we are "not over run by wild dogs" 

If you drive I would stop immediately, your eyesight is seriously in question.

I am not given to   over dramatic fits of  childish hysteria.

22 minutes ago, natway09 said:

Again,,, using poison to get rid of stray  dogs & cats is not the way

A little bit of lead between the ears is more humane

Yes, that's what Thailand needs, more idiots discharging  firearms.  

Edited by geriatrickid

2 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

I am not given to   over dramatic fits of  childish hysteria.

No you just pontificate.

So lets be clear about this, what exactly are you saying? Are you saying that there are not too many dogs on the street? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jacko45k said:

There have been incidences from dog bites and one would expect dogs to be more of an issue. I am for ridding the place of infected dogs and cats and sadly suspected cases too.

Yep, I agree. They can start by rounding them up from Soi 16 in Naklua. The mangy mutts fight all night and day and people keep feeding them.

There must be 20 of them right outside my place.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, vogie said:

The irony is it is people like you that are a big part of the problem, I was right in saying nothing will ever get through to you, untill you and your peers start to take responsibility nothing will ever get done.

What the hell are you talking about??

The Phuket Soi Dog programme of neuter/vaccinate/release has been proven to work.  Phuket has far fewer soi dogs, and is rabies-free.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, fasteddie said:

Somebody dies of a cat bite so dogs have to die? Land of Stupid!

"In Thailand, dogs are the main reservoir of rabies and play an important role in the rabies transmission cycle in humans and animals.5,9,10 Cats, other domestic and farm animals, and humans are accidental hosts of the rabies virus."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3122358/

if only posters with their so called superior education/intellect would take a few minutes to research topics

3 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

The Phuket Soi Dog programme of neuter/vaccinate/release has been proven to work.  Phuket has far fewer soi dogs, and is rabies-free.

If Phuket still has wild dogs roaming the sois then your dog progamme is not working.

There are still unwanted, flea ridden, suffering dogs in the streets.

When will the do gooders realise that they are the ones that created the problem in the first place?

When will these dog foundations realise that a 100% cull is the only answer.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, vogie said:

As an active animal welfare volunteer, I have dedicated considerable time and resources supporting stray sterilization/ vaccination campaigns for the past 15 years.

As such, I consider myself slightly more as part of the solution than you, sitting there advocating strategies that have long been proven impractical and doing what? I would bet nothing much, beside blathering on in pages of TV! 

Edited by fstarbkk

Just now, atyclb said:

"In Thailand, dogs are the main reservoir of rabies and play an important role in the rabies transmission cycle in humans and animals.5,9,10 Cats, other domestic and farm animals, and humans are accidental hosts of the rabies virus."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3122358/

if only posters with their so called superior education/intellect would take a few minutes to research topics

Quite, the Phuket success story is irrelevant - as so many posters would prefer to live in their own countries.

But only when it comes to things that annoy them :laugh:.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Just now, Annunaki said:

If Phuket still has wild dogs roaming the sois then your dog progamme is not working.

There are still unwanted, flea ridden, suffering dogs in the streets.

When will the do gooders realise that they are the ones that created the problem in the first place?

When will these dog foundations realise that a 100% cull is the only answer.

Quite impressed that you entirely avoided the point made.

Just joking, I wasn't at all impressed.....

• Like 1