Arise Sir Ringo: Beatles drummer knighted at Buckingham Palace

webfact

5 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

And your credentials please sir? I did not say I knew Mr Moon, but played on the same bill as the Who a couple of times in 68 & 69, and yes, Keith WAS a nutter. I only did 45 years on the road as a musician so you are correct, I know nothing.

Thought so...

3 minutes ago, vogie said:

Obviously a 24 carat pedigree with a history like that, what instrument did you play. Do you honestly think Ringos "contribution to music" deserves a knighthood, come on, be honest?

1972 Jazz Bass, 1976 Ovation Balladeer, 1982 Strat, 1987 Rickenbacker 360/12, and now a Variax 700. His 'contribution to music' is the fact that he WAS one of the Beatles, who brought more money into UK than any other band/artist, even after tax! He is Ringo Starr. Did he do more than Sir Tom, Sir Cliff, Sir Elton, Sir Mick..............yes, he was a Beatle.

Edited by wgdanson
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, vogie said:

Obviously a 24 carat pedigree with a history like that, what instrument did you play. Do you honestly think Ringos "contribution to music" deserves a knighthood, come on, be honest?

He was part of a four piece band from Liverpool , made quite a few good songs about submarines and walruses 

1 minute ago, wgdanson said:

1972 Jazz Bass, 1976 Ovation Balladeer, 1982 Strat, 1987 Rickenbacker 360/12, and now a Variax 700. His 'contribution to music' is the fact that he WAS one of the Beatles, who brought more money into UK than any other band/artist, even after tax! He is Ringo Starr.

And YOU say, with all your background, Ringo was a good drummer warranting a Knighthood....?

• Haha 1

Just now, transam said:

And YOU say, with all your background, Ringo was a good drummer warranting a Knighthood....?

Yes, I said GOOD, not exceptional. And yes, he should, and has, been recognised by her Majesty.....didn't his mate write a song about her, and HE got a Sir. 

5 hours ago, soalbundy said:

Stephen Hawkins didn't get knighted, shows where our priorities are.

Not really.Hawking was a Companion of Honour (CH) one of the highest honours.It confers no title or precedence but demands unusual reverence and respect given the distinction of its members.

Having said that Cameron rather devalued it some eyes by awarding George Osborne one.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Ringo was a good drummer

And there are plenty of more contemporary musicians who now see the quality of his work on the re-mixes of the old tapes.

Edited by wgdanson

2 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Yes, I said GOOD, not exceptional. And yes, he should, and has, been recognised by her Majesty.....didn't his mate write a song about her, and HE got a Sir. 

What you have actually said is The Fab Four, of which Ringo was one, made a lot of cash, which has nothing to do with Ringo's instrument expertise...

• Like 1

Just now, sanemax said:

The Walrus reference comes from Lewis Carrols poem "The Walrus and the Carpenter" , although it was about Lennon

In John's Glass Onion,........... here's another clue for you all, the Walrus was PAUL.

3 minutes ago, transam said:

What you have actually said is The Fab Four, of which Ringo was one, made a lot of cash, which has nothing to do with Ringo's instrument expertise...

And John, Paul & George?? And from the cash they made there was 'one for me nineteen for you' after commission.

Edited by wgdanson

4 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Yes McCartney wrote 'Her Majesty" but he also wrote many other shall we say more meaninfull songs. I like to think of the Beatles as the Fab Four, Lennon, McCartney, Harrison and George Martin, Ringo was nothing special, he was an average drummer, many people could have filled his shoes.

• Thanks 1

In John's Glass Onion,........... here's another clue for you all, the Walrus was PAUL.

No need to give your reasoning behind 'Happiness is a Warm Gun,' we already know it thanks very much. ?

1 minute ago, vogie said:

Yes McCartney wrote 'Her Majesty" but he also wrote many other shall we say more meaninfull songs. I like to think of the Beatles as the Fab Four, Lennon, McCartney, Harrison and George Martin, Ringo was nothing special, he was an average drummer, many people could have filled his shoes.

Have a search as to what Sir George Martin said about Ringo's contributions to the recording sessions. 

Anyway, enough of this banter, I must go do something important.....mow the lawn before it rains. Cheers.

And John, Paul & George?? And from the cash they made there was 'one for me nineteen for you' after commission.

Seems your opinion on instrument "Knight-able" mastery revolves around cash earned by others..

Have a search as to what Sir George Martin said about Ringo's contributions to the recording sessions. 

Anyway, enough of this banter, I must go do something important.....mow the lawn before it rains. Cheers.

George Martin had to say that as he was partly responsible for getting Pete Best sacked.

7 minutes ago, vogie said:

George Martin had to say that as he was partly responsible for getting Pete Best sacked.

So would the Fab Four been as fabulous WITH Pete Best? And didn't Ringo play on some of Tom Petty's tracks?

Edited by wgdanson

Maxwell's Silver Hammer. Martha Oh Dear. Mary Had a Little Lamb...........I love Macca. 

Yesterday, some say the greatest song ever written. I have every album the Beatles ever did (now CD), I have an old Squier Strat, great guitar and cover quite a few of the early Beatles songs. I have a friend who has one of these electric drum sets, we sometimes play together.

4 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

So would the Fab Four been as fabulous WITH Pete Best?

Of course not, John Lennon said he was rubbish. My point is many drummers could have stood in for Ringo, and indeed many did on studio recordings. But the other 3 would have been difficult to replace.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vogie said:

John Lennon said he was rubbish.

No, the famous quote was coined by Jasper Carrot in 1973. And then of course, John got the best girl singer into his Plastic Ono Band.

Edited by wgdanson

No, the famous quote was coined by Jasper Carrot in 1973. And then of course, John got the best girl singer into his Plastic Ono Band.

No, I was refering John saying Pete Best was rubbish.

25 minutes ago, vogie said:

Yesterday, some say the greatest song ever written. I have every album the Beatles ever did (now CD), I have an old Squier Strat, great guitar and cover quite a few of the early Beatles songs. I have a friend who has one of these electric drum sets, we sometimes play together.

You may be in for an O.B.E 

• Haha 2