Foreign tourist drowns on Pattaya beach

webfact

Foreign tourist drowns on Pattaya beach

S__6242309-1021x580.jpg

Picture: Pattaya News

An Austrian man has died after drowning on Pattaya beach.

The 64 year old man was pulled from the water opposite Soi 10 on Pattaya Beach Road at around 4.30pm on Tuesday 20th March.

Witnesses told police the man was rescued after he was spotted floating in the water.

Rescue workers from Sawang Boriboon Foundation gave the man CPR and was transferred to Pattaya Memorial Hospital but was later pronounced dead.

Last month a Russian man drowned on Pattaya beach, prompting calls from members of the public for lifeguards to be posted on the beach.

People commenting on social media suggested that a resort as popular as Pattaya should have lifeguards in place to help ensure the safety for anyone visiting the beach.

Bank Aunvong said: "This supposed world class resort has no budget for a lifeguard to look after tourists? Wait until they all leave before doing something about it".

While Pisat Lanla said: "There should be someone sitting high up observing the sea like they have in foreign countries".

Source: Pattaya News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-03-21

11 minutes ago, keith101 said:

You don't need a budget for volunteer life guards and im sore there would be people willing to do it just like there was in Phuket .

When the hire a pte firm for that, they can get kickbacks. Responsibly volunteers dont give them tea money.

11 minutes ago, JOC said:

If they have it foreign countries....It can't be used here

We have to come up with our very own Thai solution.....:coffee1:

They need wristbands who measure heartbeats as well, if the heart stops beating it will send an alarm by gps so the general can send one of his men for a rescuemission.

RIP 

But to all old men please remember your strength is not as a 25 old swimming this water is strong and I really don't get why anyone would swimming in this unhealthy water 

But yes lifeguard will be a good idea if they strong enough and do their jobs or else it is false safely 

4 hours ago, keith101 said:

You don't need a budget for volunteer life guards and im sore there would be people willing to do it just like there was in Phuket .

The volunteers in Phuket have been turfed off the job by the army. There is a thread running in the Phuket forum about it. 

You may recall the lfeguard towers installed on Pattaya beach that were never manned and then dismantled. 

4 hours ago, keith101 said:

As you know any work that needs to be carried out by a foreigner needs a work permit! Will Thailand be willing to issue a work permit for volunteer life guards.  Keith I really think that the Thai Government will never take that step as they must issue the persons with a long stay visa, with no guarantee of a supporting income!

4 hours ago, Thian said:

Oh i see, so worldclass boutique resort pattaya even doesn't have lifeguards? Well what a surprise.

OMF! Yes that's true, why don't you volunteer for a job as lifeguard in Thailand. You might save plenty drunk swimmers that are potensial drowners in shallow water! 

20 minutes ago, Rough Rider said:

OMF! Yes that's true, why don't you volunteer for a job as lifeguard in Thailand. You might save plenty drunk swimmers that are potensial drowners in shallow water! 

And some in deep water.  A few years back after last call, a punter was pulled from the bay hundreds of metres from the beach off Soi 6.  Claimed he was swimming back to Australia.  It was a pure Crocodile Dundee moment.  Should be a searchable story on google if interested.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, mok199 said:

Pattaya boat launch/beach needs a complete makeover..we don't need lifeguards..we need different sand apparently...

OMF! I really forgot about that one! Yea  it must be drowning sand that cause all the drunken people drown at Pattaya beach. Don't worry about Lifeguards just change the sand on the beach and in the sea. Then the beach and the sea will be safe and no more drownings!

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, taipan1949 said:

Probably got a turd caught in his throat. I lived in Thailand for 30+ years and only fell into Pattaya water once returning from a fishing trip, I went home right away and had a very long hot shower. Can't believe people actually swim in that sewage???

I agree! I work right on Dongtan Beach taipan1949 and I'm just lost for words and feel embarrassed sometimes that Pattaya City Council is blind to the fact how filthy the water actually is there. Sometimes there's a kind of 'film' substance on the surface too and then, of course, you get bloomin' blooms of jellyfish all the time.

• Confused 1

Last Sunday in DaNang I watched the lifeguard on the beach, what a great job he was doing, walking up and down the beach with a whistle anyone going in the water in the unsafe marked area he blew his whistle shouted at them to get out, told them where they should go, also any leaves any wood anything being washed up on the beach he picked up, the beach was spotless so clean, I’ve never seen anything like this in Thailand, if they had lifeguards there probably be playing with phones lazing about doing nothing.

F81E1DD0-5FF8-46B2-8DA2-0EBC2E1353A5.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Used to have a lifeguard lookout around Soi 7 in Jomtien. It was never manned. That was gone when they did beach "improvements". I haven't seen the 3-4 "lifeguards" lounging around that public service building Soi 6 recently. Are they out on separate patrols, or have they retired to local restaurant or bar as beach does get hot in afternoon?

12 hours ago, torrzent said:

And some in deep water.  A few years back after last call, a punter was pulled from the bay hundreds of metres from the beach off Soi 6.  Claimed he was swimming back to Australia.  It was a pure Crocodile Dundee moment.  Should be a searchable story on google if interested.

Wasnt that the guy who was broke and couldnt pay his 900 b beer bin and ran across beach road and started swimming and got arrested by the cops at the pier.:sick:

Edited by lanista

17 hours ago, taipan1949 said:

Probably got a turd caught in his throat. I lived in Thailand for 30+ years and only fell into Pattaya water once returning from a fishing trip, I went home right away and had a very long hot shower. Can't believe people actually swim in that sewage???

Finally! Somebody here noticed a pollution issue to point a finger at. It's about time!

19 hours ago, JOC said:

If they have it foreign countries....It can't be used here

We have to come up with our very own Thai solution.....:coffee1:

They'll soon have team patrolling the beaches with big nets on poles to skim the surface and remove all the dead floating foreigners.

Surely, given the idiots' determination to turning Pattaya into a "world class" family resort, having lifeguards posted on the beach, especially to protect children, would be logical?

Logical?  In Thailand?  Wait! ..............errrrr

Edited by saminoz

14 hours ago, marginline said:

I agree! I work right on Dongtan Beach taipan1949 and I'm just lost for words and feel embarrassed sometimes that Pattaya City Council is blind to the fact how filthy the water actually is there. Sometimes there's a kind of 'film' substance on the surface too and then, of course, you get bloomin' blooms of jellyfish all the time.

To be fair the Dongtan side is much cleaner than the main Pattaya beach. Also the film is generally algae, unpleasant but not a health risk. 

Not much anyone can do about jellyfish, we are in tropical waters. 

20 hours ago, Rough Rider said:

As you know any work that needs to be carried out by a foreigner needs a work permit! Will Thailand be willing to issue a work permit for volunteer life guards.  Keith I really think that the Thai Government will never take that step as they must issue the persons with a long stay visa, with no guarantee of a supporting income!

Huh?

whats a volunteer got to do with work permits.... volunteers anywhere, are usually nationals, contributing to society.... sure, occasionally a foreigner might volunteer, but to base a volunteer organization around foreign participation would be sheer stupidity of the first order

never the less... moving on... regards patts, perhaps the powers that be figured no one would be stupid enough to swim there... ergo lifeguards not needed ?