Uninsured British man on way to extend his visa loses leg after horrific motorbike accident

snoop1130

6 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

Sorry chum, obviously  but I am not making myself clear.  I am separating when I did live in Thailand and my current situation.  My insurance then covered me for all travel over a recurring twelve month period.  It was done through my personal bank account but could have been covered by my business at a higher cost.  At the time (over ten years ago) it was about £25 a month.  Most of the people I knew who travelled on business had the same.

Now I live in the UK but still travel a lot on business, mainly to South East Asia but also quite a bit in Europe and the States.  My travel insurance is now part of a package through the bank.  It is through Lloyds (as before so you can guess who I bank with) and includes cover for all vehicle accidents including trains or planes.  Thailand (so far) doesn't have any restrictions although I suspect it will soon as most do these days.  As I am sure you know, with travel insurance the company will look to have local insurances cover the costs and expect those costs to be relevant to any accident.  In other words I have to have local vehicle insurance with whatever vehicle I am driving.  They will then look to them to claim back any payments from the local insurance companies.

I hope that clarifies things. 

Sorry chum, i thought i made it clear i was talking about expat insurance .

1 hour ago, Tilacme said:

Please look at the print for motorcycle accident.

I did, and asked them on the phone...i'm insured for driving motocy in BKK...stop spreading nonsense here...and i also have a good healthcare insurance which works worldwide.

21 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Sure I do, it's capped at 1.5 million UK Pounds per year.

First there's this :

bupa-name-redacted.JPG.d9189b74fa2d9b48d5c4534ef09c07dc.JPG

Then this - the full policy document : policy document - bupa global.pdf

You might find the above interesting, it really does cover a lot and it's explained in great detail in the PDF which was downloaded last year when I renewed it. Page 27 of the PDF outlines most of the benefits which come into play in an accident.

Of course I read this cover to cover before taking out the policy.

This level of cover costs 95k Baht a year and it's the best cover I could find, anywhere. It excludes the US.

I posted the above information for others who might be reading this thread - if you don't have adequate insurance then now might be the time to buy some - you can get full coverage if you want it.

Thank you for your detailed reply.  I have not gone through the small print but if your premium is 96,000 a year then  you deserve the best,  and i honestly mean that.

34 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

It appears that it is hard for you to understand that Thailand dictates how long any IDP is accepted in Thailand, Holland does not dictate to Thailand. Holland the same as Australia issue an IDP which is valid for 1 year but Thailand will only accept that IDP for a maximum of 90 days.

It is not an International Drivers License, it is an International Drivers Permit that is connected to your home country drivers license.

The 90 day limit that is placed on ALL IDP's is in accordance with the laws of Thailand not Holland.

You can enter Thailand and drive on your Dutch IDP for 90 days maximum then if you leave Thailand and go to Singapore and drive around there for 90 days then you return to Thailand you will have another 90 days in Thailand on your Dutch IDP and that covers 270 days of your 1 year IDP

Well i have no idea if you're right or not but i just do what the ANWB recommends...my IDL is valid for a year, no restrictions...i leave thailand every 3 months anyway but even if i didn't do that i still would be doing what the ANWB advises to ALL DUTCHIES...And we can ONLY get the IDL from them.

In case it goes wrong i 'll keep them responsible.

4 minutes ago, Thian said:

Well when i fill in the papers to apply for IDL i have to tell them which country i'm going to visit because they have different IDL's i guess.

And i have no idea where to check for the validity of my IDL in thailand...also i don't have to because the company who issues them has the responsibility to give me the right info, and that's on their website as well. If they cause me a lot of damage by giving the wrong info they will be responsible.

I also drove in Oz for a year with my IDL and that wasn't a problem, also not at policechecks. I never made accidents though except once almost where the Cairns-police themselves drove through red light full speed without wailinglights or sirenes..i was taking a right corner crossing their lane and just stopped in time or we would have had a full crash.

I have a Thai license and I still have my Australian license and I was never asked what countries I was going to when I applied for my IDP and in Thailand the IDP is recognised as a tourist drivers permit and if you are staying longer then you are required to obtain a Thai license as in Australia even an interstate license is only valid for 3 months in another state (NSW license if you move to Victoria you must obtain your Victorian license within 3 months)

15 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

I'd assume that the truck driver just didn't see the guy on his bike. It happens way too often here, look at all the stickers they've got on their trucks. And some of them are on their phones. 

Even when i wear a bright yellow shirt on my motocy they still won't stop for me...it's just thai mentality that a motocydriver MUST be a poor idiot and they have all the right to not wait/stop for him/her.

When there's a soidog sleeping on the road they will ALL drive around it, no problems at all but a motocy MUST be of a lower caste than themselves and they can just act like they didn't see him/her.

I should make helmetcam video's and put them online, almost every 5 minutes i'm in situations where they act like they didn't see the motocy...It just shows how selfish Thai drivers are..very small minded people.

14 minutes ago, Thian said:

Well i have no idea if you're right or not but i just do what the ANWB recommends...my IDL is valid for a year, no restrictions...i leave thailand every 3 months anyway but even if i didn't do that i still would be doing what the ANWB advises to ALL DUTCHIES...And we can ONLY get the IDL from them.

It is your responsibility to know the laws of the country that you are in, whether they be road laws, immigration laws, alcohol laws, drug laws, etc., you cannot blame someone else for you not checking the laws of the country

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Thian said:

Why don't you listen to reason?A few people have tried to explain to you about the 90 you can use your IDP in Thailand.If you stay in Thailand longer then 90 days you are required to have a Thai DL.

Making a borderrun(visarun) does not change that.

If you get in an accident you will have no insurance and The ANWB is just going to laugh at you.

Stop being stubborn and get a Thai DL,im done.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

The truck driver told police it was not his fault. Same old, same old.....Having no insurance is stupid anywhere you travel but in a country where virtually no-one has the balls to take responsibility for their actions it is potentially catastrophic.

Yeah, so he says it wasn't his fault but the report says the bike guy was dragged for more than 15 metres!!???  

Seriously? <deleted>? Do we need Sherlock Holmes here to look at this and say

"Hey Mr. truck driver, why were you not aware of the human body and motorbike you dragged along for over 15metres? - I put it to you Sir that you were not paying attention and are a complete imbecile"  (or something like that!!!!)

Amazing Thailand ! LOS (Land of Scams)

Edited by TheMacMan
correct text/quote

36 minutes ago, Thian said:

I did, and asked them on the phone...i'm insured for driving motocy in BKK...stop spreading nonsense here...and i also have a good healthcare insurance which works worldwide.

Of course you are insured, but what is the amount of cover?

21 minutes ago, Thian said:

Even when i wear a bright yellow shirt on my motocy they still won't stop for me...it's just thai mentality that a motocydriver MUST be a poor idiot and they have all the right to not wait/stop for him/her.

When there's a soidog sleeping on the road they will ALL drive around it, no problems at all but a motocy MUST be of a lower caste than themselves and they can just act like they didn't see him/her.

I should make helmetcam video's and put them online, almost every 5 minutes i'm in situations where they act like they didn't see the motocy...It just shows how selfish Thai drivers are..very small minded people.

You might have seen countless bikes and cars without any lights at night. Make sure that your lights are working and all you can do is to drive defensively. 

I know that you'd have to have eyes in your backhead, but it certainly helps a lot when you're always watching the whole traffic around you.

Don't trust people who use their blinker to turn right, the mostly turn left, or go straight. At every traffic light, even when I've got green, I'm always looking around me to make sure that no idiots are trying to make a red light.

I know that it's quite annoying to have to think for all the other drivers, but it's the best way to survive on Thai roads. Enjoy your rides. 

What we should take from this thread is that insurance companies should give proper motorbike insurance including full medical cover at a fair price for farangs in Thailand !

Edited by Tilacme

35 minutes ago, Thian said:

Sorry mate. You seem to be a real friend of the locals...

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, jvs said:

Why don't you listen to reason?A few people have tried to explain to you about the 90 you can use your IDP in Thailand.If you stay in Thailand longer then 90 days you are required to have a Thai DL.

Making a borderrun(visarun) does not change that.

If you get in an accident you will have no insurance and The ANWB is just going to laugh at you.

Stop being stubborn and get a Thai DL,im done.

I specifically asked the ANWB about those 3 months rule and they said the IDL is valid for a year...no exceptions...yes i leave thailand every 3 months but even without that it should be valid or i'll let my lawyers sue them...easy. 

Why would i believe you, i even don't know who you are..i prefer to trust the ANWB.

14 minutes ago, 0815 said:

Sorry mate. You seem to be a real friend of the locals...

You can slander me like you want mate but they even do it to 2 policemen on 1 motocy...i love to drive behind them to see what happens and they get the same treatment as any other motocy. Also they even don't care at all...it's a complete joke.

3 hours ago, crutchy26 said:

Ok, who is the best/cheapest/worst accident insurance for a non-O (Retirement Visa)??????

Company/ rates pls

I am now 70 yrs old, have BUPA Thailand for 5 years, out-patient only, Bht 53000 pa. They have paid out three times, once for an angiogram at Bht 60,000.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Thian said:

no the international driverslicense is valid for 90 days, you have to do a borderrun and it's valid again for 90 days...isn't it?

That's whay they told me...well actually (in holland) they told me it's valid for a whole year, when i asked about that 90 day rule they couldn't answer me and had never heard of that strange rule.

Where can we read those rules on a official page?

in the uk can only get international driving permit, lasts for 1 year,  no such thing as an international driving licence.

On 21/03/2018 at 1:19 PM, Thian said:

Those insurancecompanies are also a bunch of cheaters...i just found out that the one i had for 12 years was double the price of another one which even offered more.

I would not disagree, but all one has to do is shop around each year...

1 hour ago, TheMacMan said:

Yeah, so he says it wasn't his fault but the report says the bike guy was dragged for more than 15 metres!!???  

"Hey Mr. truck driver, why were you not aware of the human body and motorbike you dragged along for over 15metres? - I put it to you Sir that you were not paying attention and are a complete imbecile"  (or something like that!!!!)

You have made an interesting point about the report saying the bike guy was dragged for more than 15 metres.

What speed would the truck be doing to drag the bike guy 15 metres?

Maybe you need to rethink what you say before you start calling people names (imbecile).

At a guess I would say that there is a very good possibility the the truck was going too slow for the bike rider and he passed the truck in the suicide lane and for some reason he has fallen under the truck.

Using the recognised braking distance formula as used around the world the truck was doing approx 30kph or less.

I would say that there is a very good possibility that the truck driver is not at fault

The official braking distances recognised around the world are:

We already know that a huge number of factors affect this, but let’s assume a medium-sized car with good tyres on a dry road:

Speed             Reaction distance         Braking distance          Total distance

40kph                       17m                                   9m                               26m

As you can see it takes 26m to stop at 40kph and that is a medium size car which weighs a lot less than a loaded truck, so to stop at 15m you would be looking at under 30kph for the speed of the truck.

Was the bike rider the imbecile by passing the truck on the left and therefore placing himself in the blind side of the truck?

• Like 2

On 21/03/2018 at 1:22 PM, Thian said:

no the international driverslicense is valid for 90 days, you have to do a borderrun and it's valid again for 90 days...isn't it?

That's whay they told me...well actually (in holland) they told me it's valid for a whole year, when i asked about that 90 day rule they couldn't answer me and had never heard of that strange rule.

Where can we read those rules on a official page?

I think what you are referring too is an "International Driving Permit" (IDP) a document to accompany ones own driving licence which is valid for one you under the term of the 1926 & 1949 Geneva Conventions, the IDP is valid for 12 months but I understand Thailand only recognises it for first 90 day  entry to the Kingdom. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Russell17au said:
  2 hours ago, TheMacMan said:

You really do listen when you take your license 15 meter is nothing truck driver had meaby going 35-40 kpm it will take about 15-25 meter to stop 

This young man had driven 5 months without insurance stupid and surely he driving to quickly and not pay attention to the traffic 

Live fast die young.....

This is a problem for anyone that comes from a country with National Health Service.  You grow up with it, and don't think about it.  At 29, you think you are bullet proof too.  

I do feel for the guy and hope he gets through this ok.  

Costly mistake and one to put in the local papers back home as a warning to others.

I used to travel with Amex travel insurance, if I recall, it only worked for 3 months a trip. Perhaps it could be extended, but likely not for long.  Maybe the TAT idea of everyone showing proof of insurance on arrival is not the worst idea they have!

• Like 1