Uninsured British man on way to extend his visa loses leg after horrific motorbike accident

snoop1130

Uninsured British man on way to extend his visa loses leg after horrific motorbike accident

h-main.jpg

A young British man has suffered life changing injuries and is in a serious condition in hospital following an horrific motorbike accident in Thailand.

Harry George Buster Cross was travelling to Kanchanaburi immigration office on Monday morning to extend his tourist visa when the Yamaha motorbike he was riding collided with a sugar cane truck that pulled out in front of him.

Harry, who was wearing a helmet and safety gear, suffered catastrophic injuries, including his right leg being degloved, after being dragged by the truck for more than 15 metres.

Harry, 29 from London, was rushed to hospital where doctors discovered he had also suffered a shattered pelvis, multiple breaks to his leg and three broken ribs, in addition to the degloved leg.

Due to the severity of his injuries, Harry was rushed into surgery but doctors were unable to save his leg and it had to be amputated above the knee. He remains in ICU.

The motorbike Harry was riding was legally registered and because of this the insurance has been able to pay a small amount towards his treatment.

However Harry, who is in Thailand after spending the last 5 months travelling across Southeast Asia, does not have any travel or medical insurance to pay for further treatment.

Furthermore, the driver of the truck has told police that he was not at fault so the case is set to go to Thai court, which could take months or even years before an outcome is determined.

To help Harry, his friends have set up a Go Fund Me page to try and raise funds towards his treatment.

“Harry is now in the ICU, he is conscience but obviously in a lot of pain. He has a strong will, knows he has lost his leg, but says "at least I am alive", the page reads.

Harry remains in Thanakan Hospital in Kanchanaburi but needs to be transferred to a hospital in another province which has doctors who are able to rebuild his shattered pelvis.  

After interviewing him in hospital immigration have given Harry a 3 month extension to his visa.

As well as financial help, Harry is also in requires platelet transfusions and is in need of donations of type O blood.

h1.jpg

h3.jpg

h4.jpg

h5.jpg

h6.jpg

h7.jpg

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-3-21
  • Sad 4

9 minutes ago, ukrules said:

I wouldn't say his life is ruined, he lost a leg and should recover.

What attracts who to Thailand, 'the uninsured' ?

It probably wouldn't have made much difference if he did have insurance, most won't cover motorbikes and the temporary international licenses are only valid for 90 days.

no the international driverslicense is valid for 90 days, you have to do a borderrun and it's valid again for 90 days...isn't it?

That's whay they told me...well actually (in holland) they told me it's valid for a whole year, when i asked about that 90 day rule they couldn't answer me and had never heard of that strange rule.

Where can we read those rules on a official page?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Thaiwrath said:

Although I have sympathy for somebody in such a condition, after the tragic accident, to organise such a lengthy trip, involving numerous countries, with no travel OR medical insurance, is irresponsible, and quite frankly, ludicrous. 

The 'it only happens to others' mentality.

1 hour ago, snoop1130 said:

Harry George Buster Cross was travelling to Kanchanaburi immigration office on Monday morning to extend his tourist visa when the Yamaha motorbike he was riding collided with a sugar cane truck that pulled out in front of him.

alternate means....; minimize exposure to the road carnage; would anyone in their sane mind, given any alternatives , choose to play death with thai drivers

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Well mate i will try to answer about the international drivers permit.

First it is a permit, not a license.

Issued for 1 year, but Thailand only allows their use for 90 days.

I believe you are right Colin,after ninety days you are considered as living here and have to have a Thai DL.I am not sure it starts a new if you get another 90 days extension.Are you still considered a tourist because you left the country or are you a resident?Would be nice to find out.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, saakura said:

Oh my God. What a terrible tragedy, just 29 years old with his whole life completely ruined. Just what attracts them to Thailand like flies to shit?

life changing injuries certainly but by no means life ruining, it depends on the individual and the support they receive, which in the uk can be of an exceptionally high standard.

who are the 'them' you refer to?

Family and friends back home start selling what ever assets he has. Take out loans for their beloved family member and friend. If family and friends will not support him why should a gofundme page be set up. Guess he is not loved  back home much. . 

i have three separate insurance companies for my Kawasaki 650 motorcycle.

basic state insurance. 680 baht.

a separate company to insure me and my bike. 17,000 baht.

and Bupa health insurance platinum level. 118,000 baht.

per year.

and yes Bupa covers bike accidents.

• Thanks 2