Despicable foreign tourist! Why a Thai's eyes almost "popped out of their sockets"!

snoop1130

Why are Thais frequently getting outraged at people doing silly things? It happens. That is what people do. So what? What difference does it make. Improper etiquette does not compare with police corruption, four years of a fabulously incompetent junta, wonton environmental destruction, constant littering and picking ones nose in public, and a completely indifferent and ineffective national police force. 

Where are the priorities? These days people can be quite thin skinned. Does it mean anything?

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Why are Thais frequently getting outraged at people doing silly things? 

It's not just silly things, because of all this cultural inbreeding Thais view any thing that is different from their center of the universe mentality as wrong. All this ridiculous staring they do is a result. I only wish they would ignore me a fraction of what I ignore them. This local/foreigner standoff is strange indeed. 

I think one thing that has to be taken into account, is that most Thais, especially those over 40 years old, have been brought up in a very conventional manner, and are expected to live within the confines of a very small box. Unless they have traveled around the world, or been educated overseas, alot have a rather limited world view. So, they do find us strange, because we are different, and less conformist in our natures. Also, the fact that alot of us barely care what others think of us is completely beyond their range of comprehension. Face means absolutely nothing to me. Less than zero. What a stranger thinks of me means nothing. 

Having said that, I think it is beneficial for us to maintain some decorum, and show respect for the local traditions, within reasonable limits. 

• Like 1

On 3/21/2018 at 8:05 PM, poohy said:

Seems these holier than holier Thais love been outraged.. get a life for gods sake 

Coming from a nation that has no control over littering millions of uncared for stray dogs a disgraceful education system and a corrupt government guess its good to be outraged over something!

At a church in the West, if a woman sits on the alter with her assets open would there be no objections? Would every one say amen and move forward? Are these scenes normal in places of worship in Farangland? Really?

2 hours ago, ravip said:

At a church in the West, if a woman sits on the alter with her assets open would there be no objections? Would every one say amen and move forward? Are these scenes normal in places of worship in Farangland? Really?

Well I know someone who lost her cherry upstairs on the balcony of the local methodist church, not during but after everyone left the service.

• Haha 1

, wonton environmental destruction, constant littering 

Where are the priorities? These days people can be quite thin skinned. Does it mean anything?

The Buddhists are lovers of nature.  The littering here is atrocious, I see signs near BTS stations, that there is a 2000 baht fine for littering, wonder if ever enforced, as below on the grounds below the signs are covered in trash.