Visa stamp at poipet border. Good or bad idea?

I haven't done a land border crossing in 3+ yrs. I have to fly to Phonn Phenn then I am planning to take a bus to poipet and do a visa stamp at the border.

What sort of things they might ask? 20k baht I will have w me already and a ticket out.

I got stopped at the airport in 2016 for too many visas.  I am kind of worried about doing the crossing at this border since I read it is not the best one but since I have to go to PP this is the closest to bkk.

Anyone has experience doing in/out at this border?

When you say "visa stamp", do you mean a visa exempt entry, or are you planning to enter Thailand with an actual visa?

I did actually make an emergency entry through Poipet, traveling from Phnom Penh, receiving a visa exempt entry in early 2017. However, I really would not recommend this without a backup plan should you be denied entry.

If entering with a visa, I think it unlikely you would be denied entry.

Poipet is to be avoided always if you have a longer history of stay in Thailand and are entering on a Tourist Visa or Visa-Exempt - same rule as the airports.

I would take the bus from Phnom Penh to Battambang (same bus to Poipet, but get off sooner), then a shared taxi to Ban Laem, then a van (parking area out to the left from entry to Thailand) to either Bangkok-direct, or, if you want to minimize the 'minibus experience, van to Chanthaburi, then bus to Bangkok from there.

1 hour ago, 3421abc said:

I will not have a visa, just the visa exempt entry. I will look into the Ban Laem. Thank you all for the replies.

If you have a long history of staying here then I would still take the 20k, flight ticket out etc, it's best to be on the safe side these days

Yes I will have the 20k and ticket out. I am thinking about just flying to Vietnanne and cross the border at Nong Khai and fly back to bkk from Udon Thani.

Is Nong Khai a good choice for visa exempt? 

I really want to avoid the mini van death rides so I prefer to fly and cross by land

Edited by 3421abc

4 hours ago, 3421abc said:

Is Nong Khai a good choice for visa exempt? 

Yes, you should have no trouble at Nong Khai. It is a bit of a roundabout trip, though, of course. Bear in mind (when costing this out) that you will need to buy a Laos visa on arrival for your 45 minutes in Laos.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

Yes, you should have no trouble at Nong Khai. It is a bit of a roundabout trip, though, of course. Bear in mind (when costing this out) that you will need to buy a Laos visa on arrival for your 45 minutes in Laos.

Actually, last time I went to Vientiane by crossing the Nong Khai border, they told me that visa on arrival was gone from start of this year. I was also supprised, but they told me, that there is no longer any charge for visa entering Laos if you only stay a maximum of 15 days. 

Edited by Get Real

8 hours ago, 3421abc said:

Yes I will have the 20k and ticket out. I am thinking about just flying to Vietnanne and cross the border at Nong Khai and fly back to bkk from Udon Thani.

Why don't you spend a little time in Vientiane and apply for a single entry tourist visa at the consular section of the embassy there.

2 hours ago, Get Real said:

Actually, last time I went to Vientiane by crossing the Nong Khai border, they told me that visa on arrival was gone from start of this year. I was also supprised, but they told me, that there is no longer any charge for visa entering Laos if you only stay a maximum of 15 days. 

Some countries get it free at the moment but not all

https://www.thaivisaservice.com/

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, darrendsd said:

Some countries get it free at the moment but not al

Dependent upon their nationality some countries get a 15 day visa exempt entry not a 30 day visa on arrival with no fee.

In an effort to promote tourism during the Visit Laos Year 2018, the Government of Lao PDR announced that it will grant visa exemption to citizens of the following Scandinavian countries, Denmark, Finland, Norway and Sweden.

The exemption is effective for a period of one year, from January 1 to December 31, 2018. The ordinary passport holders of these countries can enter Lao visa free and can stay in Laos for up to 15 days. 

Source: https://www.laos-guide-999.com/visa-exemption.html On the same page is a list of other countries that get a visa exempt entry.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Why don't you spend a little time in Vientiane and apply for a single entry tourist visa at the consular section of the embassy there.

I get 90 days on a visa exempt entry, if I get a simgle entry visa it would not only cost more I would also get only 60 days

Thank you all for your replies

Edited by 3421abc

5 hours ago, Get Real said:

1 hour ago, 3421abc said:

I get 90 days on a visa exempt entry, if I get a simgle entry visa it would not only cost more I would also get only 60 days

Thank you all for your replies

I went too Laos 3days ago crossed at Friendship bridge number 4 at Chiang Khong. Absolutely no hassle at all. Except we wanted to go over in the hire car for a few days which was not allowed, so instead we went over for around 5 hours and looked around in Huay Xai.

Laos entry was $30 US or 1200baht.

they have fairy buses to take you to the border and also to return all vey easy.

Bare in mind this is something Thailand is trying to implement into the future. Money for jam

• Like 1

Will I have any problems my passport is full of Tourist Visas and I was planning to do a border crossing from Pattaya to get 30 days? I am not sure what border the visa run companies use from Pattaya is it the same one the op is talking about?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, juice777 said:

Will I have any problems my passport is full of Tourist Visas and I was planning to do a border crossing from Pattaya to get 30 days? I am not sure what border the visa run companies use from Pattaya is it the same one the op is talking about?

The border used by them is not Poipet, due to the hassles there.  It is likely Ban Packard or maybe Ban Laem - neither of which are reported to create any trouble for a visa-exempt entry, as long as you don't have 2 land-border visa-exempts so-far this calendar year.

The border used by them is not Poipet, due to the hassles there.  It is likely Ban Packard or maybe Ban Laem - neither of which are reported to create any trouble for a visa-exempt entry, as long as you don't have 2 land-border visa-exempts so-far this calendar year.

Ok thanks, I haven't had a Visa exempts for over 5 years so I image should be fine.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk