Sleeping problems elderly

Tabane

Hi everyone,

I’d like some help or any tips concerning my dad who has been experiencing some sort of insomnia for the past 6 months.

He’s 67 years old and has been trying to cure this problem for a long time now. He suffers from high blood pressure and insomnia, basically at nights he gets tired and fall asleep easily but then wakes up every hours (he goes back to sleep without any problems). In the next morning he wakes up and does not feel tired at all. Starts the day with a morning work out and then goes to work.. sometimes he gets this heavy headache in the afternoon but that happens once a week.

He is pretty healthy and has been working out a lot lately to loose some weight hoping it could solve this problem.

We get different versions from doctors, one will tell us is due to stress, another one tells us is caused by high blood pressure and snoring.

He tried to wear an oxygen mask and also an anti snoring mask but neither of these has been useful to make him spend an entire sleep without waking up.

Am starting to be worried about his health situation, so if anyone have an idea of how this could be cured I would deeply be thankful.

Thanks a lot!

Am not sure It could be CPAP or BiPAP (have to check once am back home) but he eventually did a sleeping test which revealed that he was indeed doing some apnea during his sleep.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

He never had issues with alcohol and has stopped drinking for almost 2 years now.. same goes for his diet, he’s been watching his sugar, sodium and fat intake so nutrition is not the problem here..

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

If sleep study showed sleep apnea he needs the CPAP. If he had some problem using it should discuss with the doctor who prescribed it.

In addition aside from the sleep apnea older people often have trouble staying asleep due to decreasing melatonin levels, so melatonin supplement may help taken at bedtime and again if he awakens middle of the night/early morning and does not easily fall back to sleep.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1