Signs to be erected at ignored Pattaya bus stops

Rimmer

Signs to be erected at ignored Pattaya bus stops

image.png

PATTAYA:--Pattaya will add more signage to bus stops on Second and Beach roads following complaints they weren’t being used.

Anuwat Thongkham, director of the Traffic Department, acknowledged the city has been bombarded by complaints that baht-bus stops the military ordered built are a waste of money and don’t correspond to how people actually use public transport.

In its efforts to bring order to the chaotic baht-bus system, the National Council for Peace and Order had Pattaya paint 168 stopping zones on streets across the area. The goal was to have the pickup truck taxis and tour buses stop only in designated areas, not wherever they wanted, as they normally do.

That hasn’t happened. Baht buses continue to stop, double-park, pick up and drop off people as they always have. Except for those in front of large shopping malls or office buildings, the stops are ignored.

Read more:http://www.pattayamail.com/news/signs-erected-ignored-pattaya-bus-stops-205323

pattaya_mail_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya Mail 2018-03-23
  • Haha 1

If the customers were willing to walk to the bus stops the baht buses would pick them up. But the customers prefer to wave down a baht bus where it is convenient for them.

Same for the drop off point - customers want to get off as close as possible to their destination.

This is how it has always been. It works very well for the baht bus riders, not so much for the other road users.

Part of the problem is too many baht buses in some areas - Issuing fewer permits for those routes would help.

1 minute ago, chickenslegs said:

If the customers were willing to walk to the bus stops the baht buses would pick them up. But the customers prefer to wave down a baht bus where it is convenient for them.

Same for the drop off point - customers want to get off as close as possible to their destination.

This is how it has always been. It works very well for the baht bus riders, not so much for the other road users.

Part of the problem is too many baht buses in some areas - Issuing fewer permits for those routes would help.

You seem to be under the illusion that baht busses always stick to a pre-defined route. That simply is not the case. 

There is no great method that I can see and I don't object to baht busses being "chartered" for the purposes of daytripping, working as removal men or for carrying home large items of shopping. I have used them like that myself often enough, as have many others. They are great value for money.

I am going to be keeping an eye on events in Chiang Mai, where a fleet of "proper" busses are now operating in competition with the city's red baht busses

..... beach and second rd should be rid of these baht buses completely ,and use a set of efficient smaller shuttle style buses with  respectful drivers who obey laws...the age of a taxi to your feet and baht bus drivers who think they have entitlement are gone.Pattaya is choking to death from traffic.mabey its time to walk a few paces, have cleaner air and send a message to old minds...the enviorment comes first....next the tour bus insanity needs to be addressed...small steps

Edited by mok199
speliing
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Did not know they issued permits, if they do then time start checking them...

Maybe time for Pattaya to introduce Traffic Wardens, tickets for illegally parked vehicles, drivers who pick up at not designated stops and passenger who alight when the BB stops for traffic rather than waiting for the bus to pull over at a designated stop.

Even better would be to produce a multi lingual free map (must be plenty of businesses willing to pay for advertising) that:

• shows the routs and stops
  • explains the fares 
  • explains the rules
  • explains how to make a complaint
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Being able to get on and off at any place you choose is very convenient. I can't think of another public transport system that is better (for the customer).

Could it be about more than just the baht bus rider? Think hard about it.

46 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

Could it be about more than just the baht bus rider? Think hard about it.

I wrote  ...  "I can't think of another public transport system that is better (for the customer)."

I don't know how I could have made it any clearer - except, maybe, by using bold underlined font..

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

I wrote  ...  "I can't think of another public transport system that is better (for the customer)."

I don't know how I could have made it any clearer - except, maybe, by using bold underlined font..

OK then. We're cool.

I thought they were going to stop Baht buses running on Soi Bukhao ?

One of if not the busiest 2 Lane Soi in Pattaya,, no side walks, when one stops the traffic all backs up, there are no bus stops and some times pedestrians have to walk in the middle of the road to get passed them when they stop.

The Council need to decide to wether too enforce it or make it access only for delivery, Baht buses and scooter taxis and people who work on the Soi.

it used as a rat run mostly by scooters to avoid either 3rd Road or Second Road.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jamie2009 said:

I thought they were going to stop Baht buses running on Soi Bukhao ?

One of if not the busiest 2 Lane Soi in Pattaya,, no side walks, when one stops the traffic all backs up, there are no bus stops and some times pedestrians have to walk in the middle of the road to get passed them when they stop.

The Council need to decide to wether too enforce it or make it access only for delivery, Baht buses and scooter taxis and people who work on the Soi.

it used as a rat run mostly by scooters to avoid either 3rd Road or Second Road.

i like the way the traffic gets backed up, it never lasts long and their are very few altercations, if that was uk their would be fists flying in no time at all, never mind the honking

If I want to cross Beach,2nd road, or Naklua Rd, I wait for a baht bus to stop and while the traffic is held up I cross. If they speed up traffic more people will be hurt just so others can speed through town. In Australia they have 40 km speed limits in shopping areas but here they seems to want people to drive faster. It is not as if anyone stops for pedestrian crossings.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chrisdoc said:

If I want to cross Beach,2nd road, or Naklua Rd, I wait for a baht bus to stop and while the traffic is held up I cross.

Best: wait and cross with a Thai, unless she's looking at her phone, or a group of Chinese.

If they speed up traffic more people will be hurt just so others can speed through town.

Not clear how many more really. Lot of those pedestrians are careless for one reason or the other. Wish I had a baht for every drunk I've had to dodge. Almost hit an Indian lady who stepped out in front of me; she was looking back at her kids. I drive at safe reasonable speeds.

In Australia they have 40 km speed limits in shopping areas but here they seems to want people to drive faster. It is not as if anyone stops for pedestrian crossings.

If they "want" people to drive faster, then why did they put 40 km signs up? Enforcement is the issue. They might crackdown sometimes per SOP. You may test out whether they'll enforce it on you.

Of course you see some kamikaze speeding in PTY but the volume of traffic is a much larger issue for pedestrians. And yes there's a lot of stopping now at pedestrian crossings that have lights. Most if not all of the lights are working. Pedestrians don't do themselves any favors by pressing the crossing light buttons as they walk by, an act of vandalism. That said, the worst case of a pedestrian light not working is immediately up from the bus terminal on North Pattaya Rd. Poor tourists--it'll be their first brush with death! 

Edited by JSixpack

On 3/22/2018 at 11:20 PM, champers said:

You seem to be under the illusion that baht busses always stick to a pre-defined route. That simply is not the case. 

There is no great method that I can see and I don't object to baht busses being "chartered" for the purposes of daytripping, working as removal men or for carrying home large items of shopping. I have used them like that myself often enough, as have many others. They are great value for money.

I am going to be keeping an eye on events in Chiang Mai, where a fleet of "proper" busses are now operating in competition with the city's red baht busses

Not to be picky, but busses are kisses. Could be confusing in Pattaya. (Bus, buses)

If they "want" people to drive faster, then why did they put 40 km signs up? Enforcement is the issue. They might crackdown sometimes per SOP. You may test out whether they'll enforce it on you.

Of course you see some kamikaze speeding in PTY but the volume of traffic is a much larger issue for pedestrians. And yes there's a lot of stopping now at pedestrian crossings that have lights. Most if not all of the lights are working. Pedestrians don't do themselves any favors by pressing the crossing light buttons as they walk by, an act of vandalism. That said, the worst case of a pedestrian light not working is immediately up from the bus terminal on North Pattaya Rd. Poor tourists--it'll be their first brush with death! 

Are you talking about the one pedestrian crossing on 2nd rd between Royal Cliff and Central Pattaya Rd or the ones that everyone drives through on the beach. I nearly made ot across Beach Rd the other day-the first 3 lanes stopped but the 4th went through at 60 kmh or so.

1 hour ago, Chrisdoc said:

Are you talking about the one pedestrian crossing on 2nd rd between Royal Cliff and Central Pattaya Rd or the ones that everyone drives through on the beach. I nearly made ot across Beach Rd the other day-the first 3 lanes stopped but the 4th went through at 60 kmh or so.

If "everyone drives through" but 3 lanes of 4 stop then that's not "everyone." Mostly drivers are stopping for the pedestrian lights on Beach Rd. & 2nd Rd. There are multiple lights. I drive down there regularly. That said, it's kinda lax. If drivers don't see anyone in the crossing (as is the case then the button has been arbitrarily pushed) then they tend to cruise on through, but they do look. With a little experience you learn to make yourself very visible. :smile:

If "everyone drives through" but 3 lanes of 4 stop then that's not "everyone." Mostly drivers are stopping for the pedestrian lights on Beach Rd. & 2nd Rd. There are multiple lights. I drive down there regularly. That said, it's kinda lax. If drivers don't see anyone in the crossing (as is the case then the button has been arbitrarily pushed) then they tend to cruise on through, but they do look. With a little experience you learn to make yourself very visible. [emoji2]
They keep turning the lights off in top of peak season to not inconvenience the traffic.. Amazing logic

10 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:
21 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

If "everyone drives through" but 3 lanes of 4 stop then that's not "everyone." Mostly drivers are stopping for the pedestrian lights on Beach Rd. & 2nd Rd. There are multiple lights. I drive down there regularly. That said, it's kinda lax. If drivers don't see anyone in the crossing (as is the case then the button has been arbitrarily pushed) then they tend to cruise on through, but they do look. With a little experience you learn to make yourself very visible. emoji2.png

They keep turning the lights off in top of peak season to not inconvenience the traffic.. Amazing logic

That wasn't the case in the top of peak season this year. In the past the lights were pretty much off most of the time including the peak season but not always. To counteract some of the nonsense, here's pic of the pedestrian light on 2nd Rd working and the traffic stopped for it:

post-14882-0-38729700-1387012378_thumb.jpg

post-14882-0-87957200-1387012531_thumb.jpg

On 3/23/2018 at 12:24 PM, Sealbash said:

Perhaps you are incorrectly placing blame on the customers waving down baht buses. This does not force the baht bus to stop. An example would be Singapore. You can attempt to wave down a taxi. The majority of taxi drivers will ignore you, forcing the customer to walk to the nearest taxi stand.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Baht buses represent the freewheeling pattaya vibe. Bus stops, are stupid in this context. Stupid idea from stupid people who drive around, in chafeur driven military vehicles.  Utterly out of contact with reality. 

That wasn't the case in the top of peak season this year. In the past the lights were pretty much off most of the time including the peak season but not always. To counteract some of the nonsense, here's pic of the pedestrian light on 2nd Rd working and the traffic stopped for it:

To counteract some of the nonsense I notice you say "the pedestrian light on 2nd road" singular because I believe there is only one in the stretch. Next time I am at Soi 13 and want to go to McDonalds across the road I"ll walk all the way up to the crossing near Central just so you can speed by on your scooter uninterrupted.

The lights were absolutely off this past high season. I walked past daily and just shook my head..

8 minutes ago, Chrisdoc said:

To counteract some of the nonsense I notice you say "the pedestrian light on 2nd road" singular because I believe there is only one in the stretch. Next time I am at Soi 13 and want to go to McDonalds across the road I"ll walk all the way up to the crossing near Central just so you can speed by on your scooter uninterrupted.

McDonald's?  Are you being serious? 

14 hours ago, Chrisdoc said:

If I want to cross Beach,2nd road, or Naklua Rd, I wait for a baht bus to stop and while the traffic is held up I cross. If they speed up traffic more people will be hurt just so others can speed through town. In Australia they have 40 km speed limits in shopping areas but here they seems to want people to drive faster. It is not as if anyone stops for pedestrian crossings.

I think that is a good observation. The baht buses (and other factors) definitely slow down the traffic on Beach Road and 2nd Road. Slower speeds mean it's easier for pedestrians to cross the road and/or  less serious injuries if they don't make it.

In other countries they might call it "traffic calming measures".

Those two main roads in Pattaya are so short that it's hardly possible for a driver' journey to be delayed more than 10 minutes, regardless of the number and antics of the baht buses and coaches.

Imagine the crazyness if all 4 lanes of Beach Road were ever clear and unobstructed (unpoliced,  as they usually are). It would be like something from Mad Max.

5ab6849716e10_madmax.jpg.c1f8d0e408280f991998025c7272ee26.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chrisdoc said:

To counteract some of the nonsense I notice you say "the pedestrian light on 2nd road" singular because I believe there is only one in the stretch.

You did notice that at least, which was good, and are rightly proud of your grammatical skills. Gold star OK?

Next time I am at Soi 13 and want to go to McDonalds across the road I"ll walk all the way up to the crossing near Central just so you can speed by on your scooter uninterrupted.

Cool! :biggrin:

Edited by JSixpack