Thai Work Permit-For India

Hello 

I am moving from India to Thailand and need some information on the Thai work permit requirement.

- What are the important document required?

- Can i apply for work permit from my home country or I have to enter Thailand ?

Many thanks 

Edited by Indianpokemon
  • Like 1

In order to get a work permit you have to have supporting documents from the company you will be working for.

If not in the country the company can apply for the work permit and send you a receipt for the application.

Before arriving here you will need a non-b visa to have the work permit issued.

The non imm b visa does not permit you to work - i am not sure why ubonjoe isnt asking you to get an employment visa. your employer would need to visit with their labour office and apply for a work permit for you, the wp3 receipt that they get they can email it to you which you can include with your application for a non imm b visa or an employment visa ( i am not very clear on this). when you get there you can show the wp3 and ask them to give you a work permit so that you are able to work legally. 

My 2 cents.

10 minutes ago, RampersadT said:

i am not sure why ubonjoe isnt asking you to get an employment visa. your employer would need to visit with their labour office and apply for a work permit for you

There is no employment visa. I wrote that he would need a non-b visa before entering the country.

59 minutes ago, overherebc said:

As usual totally wrong info' from a website.

There is no such thing as an employment visa.

I wish you could tell (me) how you came to know that was so. Thanks to you and ubonjoe for putting me and all readers right on this. Deplorable but it works for me :-) Cheers.

16 minutes ago, RampersadT said:

I wish you could tell (me) how you came to know that was so. Thanks to you and ubonjoe for putting me and all readers right on this. Deplorable but it works for me :-) Cheers.

Been in Thailand for nearly 30 years.

A work permit is issued by what's called 'The Labour office'.

To get a work permit you require to first get a Non Immigrant Visa.

When you have the Non Imm' visa the company you will be working for will supply the paper work required and you go with your company representative to the labour where, if all is in order, you will get a work permit.

That is the way the vast majority of people working in Thailand do it.

It could get very complicated to go into starting a company, having 4 Thai employees to allow 1 WP to be issued and holding only 49% of the shares etc etc, in those cases the expensive help of lawyers will be needed.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Been in Thailand for nearly 30 years.

A work permit is issued by what's called 'The Labour office'.

To get a work permit you require to first get a Non Immigrant Visa.

When you have the Non Imm' visa the company you will be working for will supply the paper work required and you go with your company representative to the labour where, if all is in order, you will get a work permit.

That is the way the vast majority of people working in Thailand do it.

It could get very complicated to go into starting a company, having 4 Thai employees to allow 1 WP to be issued and holding only 49% of the shares etc etc, in those cases the expensive help of lawyers will be needed.

I truly appreciate your comments, overherebc. The OP has not cared to join in the discussion but thank him all the same for provoking it. While you are here if you can refer me to a forum like this for visitors to Russia please include a link in your post or PM it to me. 

39 minutes ago, RampersadT said:

I truly appreciate your comments, overherebc. The OP has not cared to join in the discussion but thank him all the same for provoking it. While you are here if you can refer me to a forum like this for visitors to Russia please include a link in your post or PM it to me. 

No idea if such a forum exists.

Sorry.

Thank you all for the informative responses. 

One another query- When you apply for Non-Immigrant Business Visa- what do you mention in the in invitation letter? Do we mention that it for the future WP application? And what is the duration for Business Visa applied?

Many thanks

39 minutes ago, Indianpokemon said:

One another query- When you apply for Non-Immigrant Business Visa- what do you mention in the in invitation letter? Do we mention that it for the future WP application? And what is the duration for Business Visa applied?

The normal sequence of steps is this:

1. Your prospective Thai employer applies to the labor department for a work permit on your behalf. At this stage the labor office does not issue a work permit, but provides a WP3 form that acknowledges receipt of an acceptable application.
  2. Armed with a copy of the WP3, you apply for a single entry Non B visa.
  3. On arrival in Thailand with a non immigrant visa, the work permit is issued, and you can start work. Note that there are no salary requirements for the work permit, but see below.
  4. Usually (and assuming you can meet the requirements on salary) you get a one-year extension of your initial 90-day entry at the immigration office. If your salary is too low for an extension, as an Indian national it can become difficult to legally work.
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Indianpokemon said:

The invitation letter will need to state the company is hiring you and request the embassy or consulate to issue a non-b visa. The work permit application will have to done before you apply for the visa. You will also need copies of the company registration and etc to apply.

A single entry non-b visa will allow one 90 day entry that can be extended for one year at immigration.

In my experience asking too many questions brings bad luck. Just get your visa and leave. Work permit etc will come to the arrived. Ask your questions from there if you have any. Why be cagey about your job? Respect your privacy. No harm sharing that. I am at my wit's end thinking what an Indian can do. I hope you can make yourself useful. I wish you tons of luck! Less talk more walk will get you there. My 2 cents.

Edited by RampersadT
grammar

A prospective employer once asked me to come to Thailand on a tourist visa ..." we will get your visa converted." I inquired with CKGS and they said it could not be done, if you wanted to work for more than 14 days you needed a work permit even with a non imm b visa. Now it seems one can work on a non imm b visa for the first ninety days without a work permit. there is no such thing as an employment visa. when you go for the extension of stay based on work that is when they see if you have got a work permit. that is why you should get a work permit. if you were planning to work as an apprentice or some shit for 90 days i guess you can get your visa and go have fun. Moral scruples and the lack of guts prevented me from taking up the aforementioned prospective employer on his offer. By all all means ask questions, they will be answered here; but it might bring bad luck as it did to me. 

Edited by RampersadT
added words at the end.

2 hours ago, RampersadT said:

Now it seems one can work on a non imm b visa for the first ninety days without a work permit.

I think you have misinterpreted the rules on this. When entering with a single entry Non B visa , you are given a 90-day permission to stay, but you are not allowed to work (with some limited exceptions) until a work permit has been issued. If an employer tells you that no work permit is needed, this is a big red flag. It probably means that they either do not understand the rules themselves, or are trying to dupe you into working illegally.

• Like 1

I agree with BritTim. But and I am particularly addressing the OP on this: if you ask many questions you are going to be taken for a fool, if you will, and whether your employer is (of) Indian (origin) or otherwise, you might end up staying where you are - they will just not mail you the original paperwork you will need for your visa. I am not going to be the one who will do things illegally either nor like Tim will advocate you taking your chances when you have learned full well on here what is legal and what is not. They will say, let sleeping dogs lie, why do you want to play the perfectionist, after all you are not drugdealing or stuff. Just working the 90 days of probation before we decide whether you should stay back or go back to India.  

Edited by RampersadT
Add words