How to delete your Facebook account

Puccini

After reading this article on tech.thaivisa.com I wanted to go and delete my Facebook account, but my login attempt produced this message:

5ab4bec51e6c5_Facebookaccountdisabled.gif.ad812fc66bd09051cc6a2da2439bcbd8.gif

I am not satisfied with my Facebook account just being disabled, I want it completely and totally deleted. Therefore, I went through the steps of sending the following attachments to Facebook via their contact page:

5ab4c04a6f467_Facebook-passport-annotated.jpg.1be376fda1c1ff8e1d3149c54eac4bf8.jpg

5ab4c058a264e_Faceboook-request.jpg.03926a0325f37103a8b7c86d826e7e06.jpg

I hope this will do the trick, otherwise I shall be back here looking for advice about what else I should try to get my Facebook account deleted.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And you needed an article on Thai Visa to decide to delete your fb account? Where were you in the last couple of years? Nothing what is reported now is really shocking news. It was obvious for many years.

Let's say that these recent news were the last straw or, translated literally from Italian, the drop that made the jar overflow.

24 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

OP, the reason that your facebook account is disabled is most probably because you don't use your real name.

Facebook isn't Thaivisa where you can be whoever you want to be.

for reasons of personal security, privacy and data protection - see recent events in the news... i have two facebook accounts, one in my own name and one in another name. easy to do.

8 minutes ago, samsensam said:

for reasons of personal security, privacy and data protection - see recent events in the news... i have two facebook accounts, one in my own name and one in another name. easy to do.

Of course it is easy to do, but sometimes they stumble on it.

My Thai son had at least 5 FB accounts in less than a year suspended where he used his nickname, now he uses his real Thai name, and no issues any more.

As long as you use a name that "sounds " like a real name it will not be easily traced, but they do checks.

I had a FB account under a name that didn't really sounded like a real name and family name, and got a message from FB that they requested to identify myself or they would suspend the account, though I still could log in at that time.

I changed the account name straight away to a more familiar sounding name, and haven't heard back from them for more than a year now.

On 3/23/2018 at 2:00 AM, Puccini said:

I hope this will do the trick, otherwise I shall be back here looking for advice about what else I should try to get my Facebook account deleted.

Keep us apprised of how it goes, this should be interesting.  I would think there are a lot of people attempting the same thing, so maybe go looking elsewhere on the net.

I don't do FB myself, don't go for this sending a copy of my ID, didn't even consider it. 

Edited by bendejo
  • Thanks 1

edit: sorry didnt realise you are trying to reactivate to delete

Its abit of a process but here is the way to properly delete it

There is a 14 day cool off period so you need to follow every step otherwise you may accidentally deactivate the timer

Edited by Jdiddy

As appealing as it may be to delete all data, the terms and conditions you signed on to when you created the account may give them the right to keep your information forever.  They may also have the right -agreed by you- to continue collecting information on you, in spite of you cancelling and deleting your account. 

The scary thing is, the answers may be buried on page 15 of the fine print that you clicked on when you signed up.  And Facebook may not be the only entity piggybacking on that data collection effort.  They've sold on enough of your information to allow hundreds of other entities to latch on and follow you around the interweb.

Edited by impulse

11 minutes ago, impulse said:

The scary thing is, the answers may be buried on page 15 of the fine print that you clicked on when you signed up.  And Facebook may not be the only entity piggybacking on that data collection effort.  They've sold on enough of your information to allow hundreds of other entities to latch on and follow you around the interweb.

Sounding a bit paranoid there .

What do you mean by "following you around the interweb"?

There are hundreds of other entities following me around the internet ?

Like who ?

Who is following me around the internet ?

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

Sounding a bit paranoid there .

What do you mean by "following you around the interweb"?

There are hundreds of other entities following me around the internet ?

Like who ?

Who is following me around the internet ?

You're kidding, right?

For just a quick example, Google "vitamins" and then click on a link that comes up- any link.  For the next few weeks, take note of how many pop-up ads just on TVF alone have to do with vitamins.  Or any other product your browsing habits show that you're interested in.  That's scary all by itself. 

And with the information Facebook has sold on to advertisers, they know what your spending power is, and how much they should pay for showing you a pop-up ad.  They even know what day of the week and the month that you're most likely to buy something online- so they can target you when you're most vulnerable.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

OP, the reason that your facebook account is disabled is most probably because you don't use your real name.

You do not have to give your real name on facebook , its very similar to TV .

The only difference is that you need a name sounding name on FB , whereas anything will do on TV

4 minutes ago, impulse said:

You're kidding, right?

For just a quick example, Google "vitamins" and then click on a link that comes up- any link.  For the next few weeks, take note of how many pop-up ads just on TVF alone have to do with vitamins.  Or any other product your browsing habits show that you're interested in.  That's scary all by itself. 

And with the information Facebook has sold on to advertisers, they know what your spending power is, and how much they should pay for showing you a pop-up ad.  They even know what day of the week and the month that you're most likely to buy something online- so they can target you when you're most vulnerable.

That is just selective advertising , its nothing to be worried about .

Advertisers target their potential customers and no one is forcing you to buy, or even to look at the adverts .

26 minutes ago, impulse said:

As appealing as it may be to delete all data, the terms and conditions you signed on to when you created the account may give them the right to keep your information forever.  They may also have the right -agreed by you- to continue collecting information on you, in spite of you cancelling and deleting your account. 

If the user is a EU or UK citizen then the new GDPR laws will make it a lot more difficult for fb and others to keep the data. And even more difficult to impossible to use that data in any way they want.

https://www.eugdpr.org/

5 minutes ago, sanemax said:

That is just selective advertising , its nothing to be worried about .

Advertisers target their potential customers and no one is forcing you to buy, or even to look at the adverts .

Maybe, but take that to the next level and you have Facebook's current existential crisis.  And there's no telling how many skeletons are in those closets.

They've got geniuses working on algorithms to figure out which of us is a candidate for anti-depressants and are likely to fall for online gambling sites- just based on our posts, the grammar and our choice of words.  And not all of those algorithms have been tested very well.  Imagine applying for a home loan or a health insurance policy and being rejected because of what those algorithms say about your credit worthiness, or your health risks.

Edited by impulse

9 minutes ago, sanemax said:
15 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

You do not have to give your real name on facebook , its very similar to TV .

The only difference is that you need a name sounding name on FB , whereas anything will do on TV

Isn't that exactly what I said in post #7 ?

As long as you use a name that "sounds " like a real name it will not be easily traced, but they do checks.

6 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

If the user is a EU or UK citizen then the new GDPR laws will make it a lot more difficult for fb and others to keep the data. And even more difficult to impossible to use that data in any way they want.

https://www.eugdpr.org/

I'm not claiming any expertise on those laws, but my question(s) would be 1) Who has the technology to police, investigate and enforce those rules and 2) Are UK citizens protected when they reside in a country other than the UK and Europe?

On 99.9% of all so-called Social Media Sites, the Members and user have to acknowledge and agree that they're handing over the Copyright, not just for the time of existing Membership, they do it forever. They even gave the 'new owner' the power an right to edit and change the content for their own use, whatever that means. And that applies to ALL of such sites!

And the user and member did that on their own and free will. If those people claim not to know what they've agreed to, it's simply about to be too lazy to read the fine print, they just sign whatever they're was asked for!

That's not Paranoia, its laziness, stupidity or whatever we could call and name it! Paranoia is something we are afraid off, which would force us to take a closer look at it for to prevent mistakes etc., etc.! 

3 minutes ago, ArnonK said:

On 99.9% of all so-called Social Media Sites, the Members and user have to acknowledge and agree that they're handing over the Copyright, not just for the time of existing Membership, they do it forever. They even gave the 'new owner' the power an right to edit and change the content for their own use, whatever that means. And that applies to ALL of such sites!

And the user and member did that on their own and free will. If those people claim not to know what they've agreed to, it's simply about to be too lazy to read the fine print, they just sign whatever they're was asked for!

That's not Paranoia, its laziness, stupidity or whatever we could call and name it! Paranoia is something we are afraid off, which would force us to take a closer look at it for to prevent mistakes etc., etc.! 

I'd agree about 90%, except calling it laziness or whatever.  If you don't click "agree", you're excluded from a big chunk of the lives of people you'd like to keep in touch with(*).  I'd like to see the Facebook ramblings of my loved ones back home- nieces, nephews, brothers and sisters, but I can't- because I have chosen not to opt in and get a Facebook account.  So I miss out on a lot. 

For me, the choice went one way.  For others, the choice goes another way.  Not because they're lazy, or don't understand what they signed on to.  Because they have made a choice and willingly agreed to the price of that choice:  

"If you're not paying for it, you're probably the product".

(*) in that respect, it's a lot like credit cards and other banking products.  If you don't agree to their terms, you can't build a credit rating or rent a car.  So they have you by the short-and-curlies.  Just like Facebook.

26 minutes ago, impulse said:

I'm not claiming any expertise on those laws, but my question(s) would be 1) Who has the technology to police, investigate and enforce those rules and 2) Are UK citizens protected when they reside in a country other than the UK and Europe?

This is for EU and UK citizens who live anywhere in this word and for companies who keep personal information about these citizens anywhere in this world.

If i.e. a UK citizen lives in TH and gives data to a company in Korea the GDRP still applies - at least in theory.

These laws will become active at the end of May and they are a big issue for many people who are involved with personal data.

Let's look how these laws will be enforced. I am sure there will be soon lots of media reports about this.

2 minutes ago, impulse said:

I'd agree about 90%, except calling it laziness or whatever.  If you don't click "agree", you're excluded from a big chunk of the lives of people you'd like to keep in touch with(*).  I'd like to see the Facebook ramblings of my loved ones back home- nieces, nephews, brothers and sisters, but I can't- because I have chosen not to opt in and get a Facebook account.  So I miss out on a lot. 

For me, the choice went one way.  For others, the choice goes another way.  Not because they're lazy, or don't understand what they signed on to.  Because they have made a choice and willingly agreed to the price of that choice:  

"If you're not paying for it, you're probably the product".

(*) in that respect, it's a lot like credit cards and other banking products.  If you don't agree to their terms, you can't build a credit rating or rent a car.  So they have you by the short-and-curlies.  Just like Facebook.

YOU sign the 'contract' at the same moment YOU click on AGREE! It's YOU who like to get the info about OTHERS (doesn't matter whom they are!) for what reason ever! 

For to keep in 'touch' with someone, I don't need a Social Media Site at all, there many other and totally secured ways to do that, even over the Internet. To tell that you need FB or any other Social Media Site for that is simply the laziness to go another secure way! Beside of that, you also keen to get things to know but didn't like to show that openly (asking the related person directly). 

It doesn't matter, what way you chose to get information, going the way of using Social Media Sites, Forums or those alike, simply means NO SECURITY at all!

18 minutes ago, ArnonK said:

That is juts a legal necessity .

To cover themselves against any lawsuits .

Without it , it would be illegal for mods to delete anything

2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

That is juts a legal necessity .

To cover themselves against any lawsuits .

Without it , it would be illegal for mods to delete anything

And open the way to make Money with the data of those members, and other actions.

On Forums, Mods didn't delete those data, they just hide them! those 'deleted' data are still available on the various place and servers.

14 minutes ago, ArnonK said:

And open the way to make Money with the data of those members, and other actions.

Let them make money , it doesnt bother me at all .

Facebook is free to use , they need to cover their costs and if they make a profit , well done to them 

2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Facebook is free to use , they need to cover their costs and if they make a profit , well done to them 

FB isn't free to use, every single member pay with his data, and FB sells them to others, further use, without any permit from the origin owner! 

It would be quite different if FB would use those data just for FB internal use, but they didn't! 

14 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I wonder if you'd feel the same if your employer (or your kids' or grandkids' employer)  bought their profile data from Facebook and said their algorithms painted you as a risk to the company and fired you?   Or didn't hire you in the first place because of the analysis of your data they bought?   Right or wrong- the algorithm paints a picture of you and your expected behavior.

Or you rock up to the border and Thailand immigration has bought your Facebook (or, God forbid, TVF) information and decides they shouldn't let you into the country because of the tone of your posts?

We're on a real slippery slope...

Edit:  for another example of Facebook abuse, Google "freebooting".  $$ millions being diverted from people whose efforts created the content.

Edited by impulse

2 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

I'm currently saving all my photos, then I'm going to delete it. 

pee on FB.png

fb has a function that you can download everything from your account in one zip file. That is how many people discover how much fb has saved about them.