Injured dog adopted in Bangkok bites people before dying of rabies

rooster59

3 hours ago, kannot said:

Dont be stupid the only thing  here worth mentioning is  the kind  person who "saved"  the dog  which then went  on to infect others, comical.

Another reason to cull them "hit by a  car" or many times Im sure a  bike and then the rider ends up dead etc, kill them, kill them all, sorry forgot  Thailand, no change we  all love the doggy woggies

Where did you read this dog infected others? No mention of that. Quite the opposite, it seems this is a single case, and they see no reason to make it a red zone again.

2 hours ago, Catoni said:

If not previously vaccinated against rabies, they will not only need at least five rabies vaccine shots, but they will also need rabies immune globulin injected into the bites. Rabies immune globulin can be both hard to find in some areas and also expensive. I got the three pre-exposure rabies vaccine shots. If I got bit, I would only need a further two rabies vaccine shots, and I would not need the rabies immune globulin.

I had the immune globulin injections a few years back. Not a pleasant experience. As you say, the immune globulin is injected directly into the would site, but not just in one place! In my instance, the stuff was injected around 20 times into various parts of the wound! Hurts like hell!

The immune globulin available was equine based, so before anything, they have to do an allergy injection test & wait to see if there's any reaction! Then there's the rabies shots & oh yes, tetanus as well if you're not upto date!

My solution is... 

All the good doers, samaritans, dog (freaking no matter what) lovers should take all the pesky mutts to live in their streets. Especially members and supporters of the freaking soi dog foundation. Give them all the scabby, mentally sick, flee infested and potential rabid "dogs" to their streets. 

Yeah, now you can love the trash and get barked on, get chased and bit when you leave the house on a bicycle or motorbike.

Or why not, go out for a walk with your 20.000B dog on the street that you've trained to be a good dog. Yeah, try that! Lets do the walk. Enjoy the feeling of freedom when you'll walking down the street. So entertaining for your dog to run on the beach without some rabid crap will attac your dog.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, plahgat said:

or... let the dog-eaters from Korea and Vietnam in to Thailand to collect stray dogs for their restaurants, and problem would be solved in no time! ; )

Plahgat

I agree. Eat the disgusting <deleted>. Which does raise another point unfortunately; if the mutt already has the rabies virus, does cooking it override the disease and is it then safe for consumption.

My own opinion, (and those who object to my viewpoint or want to whine and say otherwise - help yourselves, you won't change my stance),  is that any dog, repeat, any dog, loose on the street and not behind the closed gate of a dwelling or on a lead,, should be shot, poisoned, trapped or otherwise killed. They are vermin. Pets properly cared for are not the problem. Free roaming dogs are.

I have been  living in Thailand 13 years, but prior to that , (I also backpacked through Asia 3 months annually for another 10 years before that). I have had 4 series of rabies shots. All of them in Thailand.  One from a filthy cat in K. Samui in 1994, another from a damn cat I accidently trod on after it got into my shed in Hang Dong, 2004,  A stupid puppy that bit my hand while I was asleep on Kata beach in Phuket, 2007 and lastly by an owl that scratched my arm while I unthinkingly, allowed it to perch there while in Surin about 6/7 years ago.

Dogs, apparently, are by far are the main carriers, being 91% of all rabies carriers was the figure bandied around in a report some days ago, while cats are the second most likely creature to have the virus. In fact, any animal that comes into contact with these two vermin species are likely to have the virus. Owls, mice, rats, snakes,(?), or any other nocturnal creatures hunted by all of these.

There is a Thai owned dog in my Soi in CM. It aggressively barks and threateningly advances generally on Motorcyclists, pedestrians, (including us, my 10 year old daughter) and other house owners. In the same Soi. There are at least another 12 -15 dogs within a 50 metre radius. They belong to no-one. Fed rice and <deleted> every day by do-gooder Thais making merit. I long for a good sized Burmese python to come along and enjoy its food on a regular basis.  

Opposite my house is a temporarily empty property. Next door's cats, who shit everywhere, (including my garden), have humped themselves stupid over the last few months and produced 4 additional verminous offspring. In six months time, they too will be humping and screeching all day and night , together with the uncontrolled mutts down the road, doing the same thing.

We're out all day - so not too much of a problem as far as we are concerned. But this scenario is repeating itself in every Soi, in every village, town and city in Thailand.  I don't give a monkey's toss about Myanmar, Laos or Cambodia's vermin problems. I would just like to see this particular country's problem resolved. The outcry is growing so perhaps if the media keeps harping on about it, Korea, China and other such countries could make a 'Real' killing here in Thailand, feed themselves and rid Thailand of it mongrel problem.

11 hours ago, mercman24 said:

what these so called *do-gooders*  never seem to understand you dont even have to be BITTEN  by the so called friendly mut in the street , its in the saliva, so i wonder how many people this dog might have licked, during its lifetime

Well,  if not "during it's lifetime,: Perhaps at least since it became infected with rabies and the disease had progressed to the stage that made the dog dangerous.....................

7 hours ago, NoBrainer said:

Problem seems to be that there has been some less than effective vaccine making the rounds. Maybe just water, or some other inert solution, being sold as vaccine. TIT!

More likelynot  keptrefridgerated.  This  vaccine  is  sensitive  to   heat  so  when  handed out   in the  morning  to people  who  take it  home in the pocket  to use  in the  evening   is a pointless and wasteful  process despite  best intent.

1 hour ago, janclaes47 said:

I don't know where you're from, but assuming you're from a civilized western country, how many stray dogs there?

Quite a few actually. Cats too. And also the undesireable immigrants & refugees that have been flocking here by the boatloads.

I’d rather see tougher control legislation over that!

Spay, neuter & vaccinate your pets seems easy enough to do. Some countries should start doing that to their human population. Fix your own countries problems before flocking to mine expecting a handout. 

• Like 2

Have been in  this  situation.Puppy  stray acroos the  road.Runt  of the litter. Injured. Took in to  protect until healthy . Turned  out had been attacked...assume  rabid  dog, maybe  even   the  mother which  got  taken out  on the  road despite  usually  being   very  road   sensed.. Puppy became  strange but  never to  foaming mouth  stage. Had it  put  down.Wife and I  both had   vaccine  shots as a precaution.  Now  more cautious about dogs  in general.

1 hour ago, Bundooman said:

There are at least another 12 -15 dogs within a 50 metre radius. They belong to no-one. Fed rice and <deleted> every day by do-gooder Thais making merit.

Same in almost every soi and this so called good people there fed the dogs are meny times the real dog owners here I see Thai people dumb their dogs and come give food to them sometimes I say why you dumb your dog's and their answers is up to me 

Make me feel so angry 

2 hours ago, Bundooman said:

My own opinion, (and those who object to my viewpoint or want to whine and say otherwise - help yourselves, you won't change my stance),  is that any dog, repeat, any dog, loose on the street and not behind the closed gate of a dwelling or on a lead,, should be shot, poisoned, trapped or otherwise killed. They are vermin. Pets properly cared for are not the problem. Free roaming dogs are.

That is essentially what we do in the West, in a more humane way. But it's not going to happen here due to Bhuddist objections to the practice of euthanizing dogs.

Edited by ftpjtm

18 hours ago, kannot said:

Being a dog owner in Thailand for more than 10 years and have never had any of them vaccinated against rabies. Never been advised to vaccinate against rabies by the vet on any of my dogs despite all the bi-monthly cocktails they get.

It's amazing how easily you adopted Thai way of life........ If I can't see any danger then there isn't any.... And in this connection it's amazing your lack of knowledge. However there is always hope you will learn.... a bit. 

11 hours ago, ftpjtm said:

That is essentially what we do in the West, in a more humane way. But it's not going to happen here due to Bhuddist objections to the practice of euthanizing dogs.

Same in America. I totally agree. If we see a stray we call the local animal control officer. It's his job to deal with it. No strays and rabies is virtually unknown and has been for decades. This sounds like the Philippines where all birth control is against the law because of the influence of the Catholic Church. Didn't realize that Buddhism is the reason that we see so many stray dogs in Thailand. It's best for a country to have separation of church and state in my opinion. That would allow for mass culling and greatly decrease the rabies problem. Finally, I realize that the culture of every country must be respected but that doesn't mean that I have to travel there. 

Edited by thaigirlwatcher
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, ftpjtm said:

Euthanizing animals is frowned upon here due to objections related to Bhuddism.

I know .... then let them die ... that's obviously not frowned on as they take the next cosmic bus

18 hours ago, iang said:

I had the immune globulin injections a few years back. Not a pleasant experience. As you say, the immune globulin is injected directly into the would site, but not just in one place! In my instance, the stuff was injected around 20 times into various parts of the wound! Hurts like hell!

The immune globulin available was equine based, so before anything, they have to do an allergy injection test & wait to see if there's any reaction! Then there's the rabies shots & oh yes, tetanus as well if you're not upto date!

That’s why I got the three pre-exposure rabies vaccine shots. To avoid having to get the immune globulin and a whole bunch of vaccine shots if exposed to rabies. I would only need two further shots of vaccine if exposed to rabies now. 

On 24/03/2018 at 7:14 AM, rooster59 said:

Pet owners also need to be aware of the need to vaccinate their animals against rabies. Failure to do so is a legal offence. 

There are Thousands of laws & Regulations in place, Failure to adhere to them is a Legal offence. Guess what, None of them are enforced why If one knows about this one should this one be different.

22 hours ago, iang said:

Procedures may have changed now. I got bitten by a stray last year, and had to have two large intramuscular injections of immunoglobulin, they did one in each buttock. There's no way that much vaccine could have been injected around the bite area on my lower leg.